What can I do in terms of using 7mgte electronics on a 2JZ GE?

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
I just bought a 1987 MKIII last night and am taking out the blown 7mgte that is in it right now. I'm searching for a 2jzGE motor but may not have many options. I may have to get n engine that comes with a cut wiring harness or no harness all together. Would I be able to use the 7mgte harness and all electronics (including the ECU) for the 2jzge motor? I've heard of people using "7m electronics for a 2jz" but I'm not exactly sure what all that statement entails. Any clarification would be greatly greatly appreciated. I do plan to keep it NA for the time being.

Patrick

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
na 7m harness.

Using the gte harness with the na motor might lead to complications. Would have to use the gte afm and the na injectors are like 100cc smaller.

Can also just go to the junkyards and get a good harness and ecu. Or post in the wtb.

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
Hmm. I might just have to suck it up and spend the money on a 1jz gte due to the wiring issue of going from a 7mgTe to a 2jzge

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Running a 2JZ-GE on 7M-GTE electronics is pretty easy. The AFM will work just fine for an NA application.

When you decide to boost it, it will work with that too.

yankiwi did it first so far as I know. His build thread is here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...GE-T-with-7M-Electronics...Build-pics-writeup

dok33 did it here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?50844-Dok-s-E85-powered-2jzge-T-build

I'm sure there's more, but it's not too hard to do. Hell, I may do it myself one day...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Drill a hole in the GTE CPS it bolts right in, adapt all of the other Sensors onto the 2J again easy to do, run the GTE injectors and colipacks and it'll run exactly like a 7M...

This really isn't difficult, if people don't know don't post in Tech it's misleading.

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
Update question: Can I use the 7mgte electronics (INCLUDING THE 7mgte ECU) for use with a 2jgte or 1jzgte? I'm starting to think it's just easier electronics or wiring wise to stick with a turbo motor since I have a 7mgte

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Na electronics on an NA 2JZ-GE can be done, here's my 92:

attachment.php

It was actually harder than going 2JZ-GE on 7MGTE electronics. Only thing you'd have to worry about is pulling fuel, as the 440's off the 7MGTE would be too much for a 2JZ-GE without a turbo.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
2jzge is 3 litre just like 7m. 1jz is 2.5 ltre so why spend the money. stock 2jzge block good for 500+hp. for turbo add a oem 2jz TT head gasket and a ebay manifold or other choice and your good. the ge head has a different exhaust manifold flange pattern than the turbo head. also the ge head is said to flow better for single turbos.
as IJ said just swap over mk3 wiring harness, oil sensor, ecu water sensor, gauge water sensor, if you want cold start injector etc. the 2 vsv on the intake i dont know i have not looked at them. the sc300 2jz will be rear sump like 7m. gs300 is front sump and oil pan not work. the 7m coil pack works or buy vvti coils and wire them in like 7m coils. of course the bell housing and transmisison choices apply. the 2jz a340 auto bell housiing will work on a mk3 a340 trans to keep that the same.

the gs or sc300 intake manifold i think before 95 will have a square fuel rail that will allow 7m 440s to be used. they drop in. the round fuel rail similar to 2jz i think dont fit the 7m injectors but you may be able to buy some low imp injetors that fit whatever rail you have. cut the cps to fit the post on the 2jzge head. it fits in the distrubutor hole. you will need to rotate it to set timing like on 7m.

so as stated the 2jz is a three litre and with the 7m electronics, cps, sensors the 7m ecu wont know the difference. sounds plug and play to me.

i can cut a cps for you if needed. i also have rebuilt cps with new bearing and internal oil seals for sale.
also the 2jz distributor has the g1 and g2 and ne signals just like the cps that could be wried into the 7m ecu and use the 7m ignitor and coils as stated above. just repin the square cps plug into a 2jz oval plug. but the distributor gets in the way of a turbo so thats why you need a cps.

hal

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
Ok guys, it seems like there are some misconceptions here in the replies and I want get everything clear for not only myself, but for others that search the topic as well.

It seems as though the 7MGTE electronics, harness, ecu, etc. WILL work fine with a 2JZGE from an early 90's lexus/toyota 2JZGE. I'm not sure if there will be ANY complications because it would be going from a turbo motor to a naturally aspirated motor, but some have said as long as it's a 3.0 inline 6, the computer and electronics should be fine (it will just run like a turbo car with no boost coming on).

Confirmation and/or opinions are very welcome.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarick;1896015 said:
Ok guys, it seems like there are some misconceptions here in the replies and I want get everything clear for not only myself, but for others that search the topic as well.

It seems as though the 7MGTE electronics, harness, ecu, etc. WILL work fine with a 2JZGE from an early 90's lexus/toyota 2JZGE. I'm not sure if there will be ANY complications because it would be going from a turbo motor to a naturally aspirated motor, but some have said as long as it's a 3.0 inline 6, the computer and electronics should be fine (it will just run like a turbo car with no boost coming on).

Confirmation and/or opinions are very welcome.

Do you think Hal and I are lying to you or don't know what we're talking about?

How much "confirmation" do you need?