What are your favorite things about MKIII Supras?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
jstricker;1723191 said:
OK, what I like...

I do like the styling. We fell into the first one because we needed a cheap Lemons car. That was 4 MKIII's ago.
The N/A 7M has been stone reliable if we ran ARP rod bolts. One of the cars is over 4,000 miles on road race courses and is just now starting to use a little oil and could stand freshening up.
Never had any problems with the drivetrain in any of the cars. Period.
Although heavy, they're pretty easy to get in a reasonable weight range. The damn seats weigh something like 70 pounds a piece. The hatch could anchor the Queen Mary. That sound deadening they put on the floor, we weighed ours as best we could when we got it all out in pieces, 62 pounds.

What I don't like...

Parts costs. They're simply obscene. I can build a couple of 400 hp small block Chevy's for the price of one 350-400 hp 7MGTE and they Chevy's will run a whole lot longer.
$400 for a gasket set?? $250-$300 for a MHG?? Just bend over with no vaseline used.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

Some nice comments. But let's please refrain from turning this into a "least favorite things" thread.

Thanks

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
My favorite things about the supra is that people always stare when im driving it. more people stare when the waste gate opens and even some civic boys give me props. also i love it when some honda boys hate, makes me rev it just to wipe away the smirks.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
I love the way my car sounds. It has one of the meanest growls I've ever heard on a car because of its 4inch catless exhaust with a 3 inch tip. The beast just roars when you hit that throttle. I also love that my roommate begs me to drive it because he feels like a badass when he's behind the wheel and hears that BOV. lmao

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Those times when your just chilling at the local tim hortons and the revving battle begins with all the little rice can civics, neons, focus' etc. After letting them rev, just start up the supra, shoot off the BOV, and everyone shuts up!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
At least around here, I kinda have a love/hate relationship that I totally feel like a predator in this car. Short of the very small handful of *occasionally* driven vehicles that I KNOW are faster than me by a long shot, I feel like I have one of the fastest cars around here that actually gets more than a 1000 miles put on it when the weather is nice...

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
When you make drivers of Porsches', Corvettes and other higher valued sports cars, slow down just to see what car is coming up next to them..

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
There is something about my supra that makes me truly love it. Turning my corner and seeing those big hips sitting in front of my house. Love It. And the fact my dad will get in my car and be like "damn this thing has more options then my brand new car has, and its 20 years old". lol

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
te72;1721578 said:
They certainly were ahead of their time. Between the Mk3, Mk4, and FD Rx7, all three of those cars easily look like they could have been put to market as a model year 10 years further than they were.

I love how unique my car is. Seriously, to my knowledge, I am the only running/driving Mk3 within 100 miles. :)

Actually...your not :p haha!

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

I love the look of our supras. They just look mean and muscly. Where the MKIVs are the "sexy" ones. Ill take the mean brutal look of an MKIII anyday :) can't say much for driving and handling...yet :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
JB91389;1723593 said:
When you make drivers of Porsches', Corvettes and other higher valued sports cars, slow down just to see what car is coming up next to them..
Had either a C6 Z06 with the Z07 package or a ZR1 coming up on me last night, driving rather spirited... talk about getting sweaty palms. Probably the only car more menacing looking than the Mk3 I can think of coming up in your mirrors...

Compton74;1723733 said:
There is something about my supra that makes me truly love it. Turning my corner and seeing those big hips sitting in front of my house. Love It. And the fact my dad will get in my car and be like "damn this thing has more options then my brand new car has, and its 20 years old". lol
Probably cost about the same too, when you consider the Mk3 was a 25k+ car when it was new. ;)

Blackdawg;1723902 said:
Actually...your not :p haha!
You know of someone else? Cause you're around 300 miles north of me...

Something I love about my car? The fact that even after owning these things since 2005, I *still* can't help but stare driving up in someone else's car when I see my car parked.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
There's something new to love every time you drive it...

The stance makes it look like it's moving when you walk up to it. Then you open the door; feels solid, and frameless windows are the shit with the top off. And of course you sit down, and the 8-way seat treats you like a king: support, comfort, and a driving position that's something akin to a small aircraft, with all your necessary instrumentation laid out plainly before you, and controls within a natural reach. Turn the key, and it growls to life as it warms up...then you get it moving :naughty: . As the 7m spins, that growl turns into a raspy roar, even through the stock exhaust...like it's found prey and it's ready to run it down. Take it into a corner at speed, and it feels solid and planted, hunched down and ready to pounce on exit. Then an apex, some throttle...and then that Supra Smile (tm) hits your face, and you can't imagine driving anything else.

No drama, no bullshit, just a dog-like willingness to perform on command and be comfortable doing it. Accept no substitutes...Supra.

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
Bleakvoid;1724076 said:
There's something new to love every time you drive it...

The stance makes it look like it's moving when you walk up to it. Then you open the door; feels solid, and frameless windows are the shit with the top off. And of course you sit down, and the 8-way seat treats you like a king: support, comfort, and a driving position that's something akin to a small aircraft, with all your necessary instrumentation laid out plainly before you, and controls within a natural reach. Turn the key, and it growls to life as it warms up...then you get it moving :naughty: . As the 7m spins, that growl turns into a raspy roar, even through the stock exhaust...like it's found prey and it's ready to run it down. Take it into a corner at speed, and it feels solid and planted, hunched down and ready to pounce on exit. Then an apex, some throttle...and then that Supra Smile (tm) hits your face, and you can't imagine driving anything else.

No drama, no bullshit, just a dog-like willingness to perform on command and be comfortable doing it. Accept no substitutes...Supra.

Then a BHG. JK

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
Well being much older then (MOST) of you i have driven a lot of different car's. I remember when the Celica Supra was new on the lot,Drooling on the black P type and wanting to have one. I love most everything about my Supra, I can not think of anything about it that i do not like, Well except the amount of funds required to get it exactly as i want. Being 6'3 heavy set with bad knees i like that i FIT in a sports car. I can not think of any other car i have driven that is as fun, comfortable, and got as many looks, OK my screaming yellow does help turn a few heads lol

mikeoc1

Jun 25, 2009
Ft Benning
One of my favorites.. the sport roof (aka targa). To me its one of the coolest features. Back when all the U.S. cars had t-tops I thought the sport roof was bad ass. Both of my MK3's have em.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
enjoyer;1724381 said:
So true, but even that doesn't lower your love for supra.
That's just the car's way of testing a new owner's resolve and dedication. ;)

1StTurbo;1724392 said:
Well being much older then (MOST) of you i have driven a lot of different car's. I remember when the Celica Supra was new on the lot,Drooling on the black P type and wanting to have one. I love most everything about my Supra, I can not think of anything about it that i do not like, Well except the amount of funds required to get it exactly as i want. Being 6'3 heavy set with bad knees i like that i FIT in a sports car. I can not think of any other car i have driven that is as fun, comfortable, and got as many looks, OK my screaming yellow does help turn a few heads lol
Wait, your car is yellow? Oh, now I see it... :p

Seriously though, you make a good point. Not all sports cars are friendly for taller or larger people. Had a friend who settled on a new (at the time) Charger because he couldn't find a sports car he could fit in, but wanted something reasonably quick and fun...

mkiiichip;1724410 said:
... The ac vent that keeps my balls cool...

YES! Or warm, in the case of those who still soldier on in colder climates. :D