What are your favorite things about MKIII Supras?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
My top 4 favorite things are:

1. The svelte look. With a proper stance, and well fitted wheels, MKIII Supras look angry as hell. It has similar appeal as the BMW 8 series coupes, or even the old Porsche 928 GTS. A nice classic look that real car enthusiasts can spot.

2. The feel. With a few well chosen suspension updates, the Supra is so solid and stable. It's definitely got the grand touring appeal.

3. The sound. All you need is 3 things. Full Exhaust (turbo back), Intake, BOV = Monstrous growl for days with perfect turbo wail.

4. The amazing amount of power these Supras can handle.

Some "Little Things":
- The little flip up compartment between the shifter and the center armrest.
- The unmistakably MK3 dash array
- Using the foglights as constant daytme running lights (rewired)
- The 3 embedded 'lines' for the tail signals in 89+
- Iridium Blue dome light bulb replacement. Completely unnecessary, but still a cool touch
- The way the whole cockpit fits the driver like a glove
- The center hood bulge. Subtle but important.
- The power sunroof (but the Targa top was great too)

What are your favorite things? Referencing specific unique mods is ok too. Gives people ideas....

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The long hood, 80s style inside and out, and the fact that it is very ahead of its time. Its got nothing short of a luxury style interior with full power everything standard, automatic climate control etc.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
1. The svelte look. It looks good, even sitting still. Sophisiticated with speed. Or muscle meets manners.

2. The feel. Smooth as silk.

3. The sound. Quiet like an LS400 or Cressida. I wouldn't want it any other way.

4. The amazing amount of power these Supras can handle. Streetable power.

Last edited:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd echo pretty much everything that Nick said before me, only my car is definitely not quiet ;). I love the throaty growl that the I6 produces and the sound of the open wastegate venting to atmosphere under boost.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Its not just the look. true mk3 lovers have a bond between them and there car.
One of the last things that i may give up is my car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
They certainly were ahead of their time. Between the Mk3, Mk4, and FD Rx7, all three of those cars easily look like they could have been put to market as a model year 10 years further than they were.

I love how unique my car is. Seriously, to my knowledge, I am the only running/driving Mk3 within 100 miles. :)

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
The look of it with the proper wheels and suspension

The way it feels when your sitting inside driving

the fact that there is only 2 running MKIII's within 75 miles of me and im one of them.

and power everything way ahead of it's time in the 80's

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Yah for you folks in TN and LA, I can totally see how you'd be the only MK3 around. Even in SoCal, where there are millions and millions of very nice cars, I hardly ever see a MK3, and I never ever see one as nice as mine. Most people don't even know what they are looking at when they see our cars.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
VegaSupra;1721587 said:
Most people don't even know what they are looking at when they see our cars.

One night i was at the a local bar here in town. came out side to grab my debit card and a guy standing out front (smoking) was trying to take a close look at the badge on the front of the car (original badge not toyota emblem) and finally he says that's a nice car is that a saturn? I just had to shake my head and walk away lol.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I like that people in shitty cars assume they can keep up with me because they think MKIII's are slow and overweight. They usually find out the hard way what happens when you mod one and remove all the luxo-barge stuff.

shimafan02

Sep 4, 2010
Kentucky
The body lines and exclusivity of the mk3s always have people turning there heads when driving past and you can't help but smile

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Those widebody fenders. It was the 1st thing I noticed when I bought my 1st off the lot in 1990. It's a beautiful car, still is to this day.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
I love that this car has aged so well. A well put together MKIII can still park next to the best looking late model cars. My wife is still trying to make me get rid of it, but it won't happen. I drive it once twice a month and just when I was considering getting rid of it, I took it out and got 2 thumbs up/compliments. She's dying with me. (the car that is).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I bought the car for its lines, stance, comfort, and technology. It was, as the voice on the cassette claimed, "total sophistication", and that it went on to faithfully serve for nearly a quarter century was confirmation enough. May it rest in peace.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Bought mine for the body lines (mainly the wide rear fenders) and all the creature comforts that it has along with the power potential. It is sophisticated and muscle at the same time. One day she'll be complete and I can enjoy driving her more.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The fact that it makes me smile just sitting there (remembering how it feels and it's such a pleasure to look at). And that means a lot since it doesn't run ATM.

What, am I supposed to be mad at it, what did she do wrong? I'm the one that didn't know what I was doing. Quit blaming the car (I was talking to my friends/parents, but I can easily aim that at some mkiii owners and theirs lol).