What are your favorite things about MKIII Supras?

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I dont know why people change anything in the car, it looks good just the way it is, i dont even think of changing the wheels. the only thing that i play around with is the engine.

my brother is getting his license this year and he is going to buy a 2006 mustang, he is always laughing at my car. but i shut him up by asking him which car do you think is going to last longer?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1721640 said:
Well, from a high performance standpoint, the car is over weight.
20 years ago, yes, but compared to a modern GT, they're not so bad. Hell, at 3820 lbs with me/tools IN the car, it's not bad at all compared to the modern equivalents, with the exception of the Vette, which is clearly more a proper sports car...

Supracentral;1721716 said:
Those widebody fenders. It was the 1st thing I noticed when I bought my 1st off the lot in 1990. It's a beautiful car, still is to this day.
The view down the side of the car *still* gets me some days, staring in awe... I don't know about anyone else, but if you see a lowered Mk3 driving behind you with the driving lights on in your mirror, they just look MENACING, at least in dark colors. :)

mkiiichip;1722188 said:
The drivers seat, I cant believe some people take those out. Definitely the most comfy car seat ever.
If it weren't quite so expensive, I would probably swap them out for BRIDE seats of some sort. They're still second best in comfort, but will hold a bit better and drop quite a chunk of weight out. Unfortunately it's weight out of the middle of the car, but that will probably be the very last mod I do to my car. Hell, I even thought of buying a used set of Mk3 seats to stuff into the 00 Miata I had, because stock seats in those were a JOKE until 2001 or 2002...

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
mjsn1;1722604 said:
I dont know why people change anything in the car, it looks good just the way it is, i dont even think of changing the wheels. the only thing that i play around with is the engine.

my brother is getting his license this year and he is going to buy a 2006 mustang, he is always laughing at my car. but i shut him up by asking him which car do you think is going to last longer?

but when you can improve handling characteristics by leaps and bounds with the kits available, and when you can let the engine setup simply breathe just by opening up the exhaust pipes from the turbo back (the way the engine is happiest anyway), and when you can add far better braking systems, and much more appropriately sized wheel/tire combos, why would you think keeping it stock is better?

I have this friend that insists that cars should remain completely stock from the factory or it 'doesn't count' is what he says. He is so proud of his '08 Mustang Bullit but says if I modify my Supra in any way then it's not a real car. That's a very strange concept to me. 1991 is 20 years ago. People have figured out a lot since then and make direct bolt on upgrades super available and cost effective. I look at it as an update to modern parts. and besides all that, fact is whatever you end up with is a machine built how you want it. Toyota built the base for the MKIII Supra and did a fine job for it's time. I think it's one of the best bases to work with anywhere in the Japanese high performance car spectrum. I'm also quite amazed at how, even 20 years past production, there are more parts readily available now than there ever were in the late 90s.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
My Supra is fun to drive. I like the sound of the motor as it comes alive under part throttle; as it accelerates, the pressure on my back in the seat builds going all the way down the front straight at PIR. That it is so smooth under load all the way to red line puts a smile on my face, every time! Going fast out of off camber turn six, throwing the car into slow turn seven then on the throttle for turns eight & nine, carrying as much speed into the long back straight into high speed turns 10 & 11; even under heavy breaking to scrub speed into a long, off camber turn 12, the Supra remains predictable and well mannered . I love this car! Here is a video of the track I'm talking about: PIR. Van

Last edited:

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Lots of people mention the rear fenders. No question about it. Kinda hard to explain but just that stance alone makes it seem like the car can handle loads of power and huge rear tires (oh wait, it can).

Also, the view from dead straight away side is strikingly perfect. Especially true of 89+ with the beautifully matched deck spoiler. Looks like 100 mph just sitting still.

Oh also people mention that they love the look of the pop up lights. A side skew off of that is the daytime look as a result of the popup lights being in the down or off position. The front view of the Supra is very unique and clean looking. That's why I love running the fog lights with the headlights down. They are so low to the ground that it makes it even more menacing.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Van;1722686 said:
My Supra is fun to drive. I like the sound of the motor as it comes alive under part throttle; as it accelerates, the pressure on my back in the seat builds going all the way down the front straight at PIR. That it is so smooth under load all the way to red line puts a smile on my face, every time! Going fast out of off camber turn six, throwing the car into slow turn seven then on the throttle for turns eight & nine, carrying as much speed into the long back straight into high speed turns 10 & 11; even under heavy breaking to scrub speed into a long, off camber turn 12, the Supra remains predictable and well mannered . I love this car! Here is a video of the track I'm talking about: PIR. Van

Dude in the video is a giant douche.

Rickstar22

Rocker...Not Hippie
Feb 22, 2011
Graham-Puyallup, WA
VegaSupra;1722698 said:
Also, the view from dead straight away side is strikingly perfect. Especially true of 89+ with the beautifully matched deck spoiler. Looks like 100 mph just sitting still.
p1722911_1.jpg

I agree....... You ever wonder what the kid in the Civic says to himself when he sees you thundering toward him in his rear view ???

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
The sexy curvy lines of the body

The sound and feel of a properly done 7mgte

Aggressive front end (pre-89 of course)

p1722921_1.jpg

p1722921_2.jpg

Wide rims, low offset, and wide tires make the rear look bad ass

p1722921_3.jpg

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Man. every body mentioned the fenders, and that is true. the Nissan skyline R32, which is newer then the MK3, also has wide fenders but they just look like cheap aftermarket fenders. their no were near good looking as the MK3

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Greek;1722908 said:
Dude in the video is a giant douche.

The "dude" is Todd Harris. Here's a little of what he's done:

2009 Portland Trans Am Race Runner-up
2008 Rose Cup Runner-up
2007 Rose Cup Champion
2007 SCCA Oregon Region Most Inpirational Driver
2006 Bronze medalist at SCCA National Championship
2006-2008 Ferrari Challenge race series driver coach and test driver

Todd has raced at over 30 racetracks across North America while accumulating more than 150 wins and multiple track records.

He has racetrack tested over 50 production based sports cars including the Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Porsche Carrera GT, and Ford GT to name just a few.

Your qualifications to make the assessment that he's "a giant douche" are??

Sorry, I watched the video and other than he wasn't really driving at speed so he got a little sloppy on his entries and exits I didn't see anything he did or said to make him out to be what you said.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

hvyman;1722917 said:

Perhaps you could answer the question I posed to Greek since you agree with him?

John Stricker

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
jstricker;1723023 said:
The "dude" is Todd Harris. Here's a little of what he's done:

2009 Portland Trans Am Race Runner-up
2008 Rose Cup Runner-up
2007 Rose Cup Champion
2007 SCCA Oregon Region Most Inpirational Driver
2006 Bronze medalist at SCCA National Championship
2006-2008 Ferrari Challenge race series driver coach and test driver

Todd has raced at over 30 racetracks across North America while accumulating more than 150 wins and multiple track records.

He has racetrack tested over 50 production based sports cars including the Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Porsche Carrera GT, and Ford GT to name just a few.

Your qualifications to make the assessment that he's "a giant douche" are??

Sorry, I watched the video and other than he wasn't really driving at speed so he got a little sloppy on his entries and exits I didn't see anything he did or said to make him out to be what you said.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Perhaps you could answer the question I posed to Greek since you agree with him?

John Stricker

p1723126_1.gif

Dude, really? You take this internet business way too seriously.

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Greek;1723126 said:
Dude, really? You take this internet business way too seriously.

Not really, no. I just don't see any particular reason to call someone you don't know names when he most likely has more driving talent in his little finger than you'll ever hope to have in your entire body.

And you still haven't answered a fairly simply question. Why do you think he's a "douche"?

John Stricker
Russell, KS

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
threaddirection.jpg

This is this thread's final chance to get back on track. Lighten up people... and get back on topic.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
not specific to mk3s but i also just love the car's name: supra

seriously one of the coolest names for any car ever made.

also, the CT-26 is one of the nicest sounding stock turbo's i've ever heard.

many turbo's you can barely even hear, i love how the CT-26 just wails, especially when the boost is building and the engine is still gathering the hp.

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
OK, what I like...

I do like the styling. We fell into the first one because we needed a cheap Lemons car. That was 4 MKIII's ago.
The N/A 7M has been stone reliable if we ran ARP rod bolts. One of the cars is over 4,000 miles on road race courses and is just now starting to use a little oil and could stand freshening up.
Never had any problems with the drivetrain in any of the cars. Period.
Although heavy, they're pretty easy to get in a reasonable weight range. The damn seats weigh something like 70 pounds a piece. The hatch could anchor the Queen Mary. That sound deadening they put on the floor, we weighed ours as best we could when we got it all out in pieces, 62 pounds.

What I don't like...

Parts costs. They're simply obscene. I can build a couple of 400 hp small block Chevy's for the price of one 350-400 hp 7MGTE and they Chevy's will run a whole lot longer.
$400 for a gasket set?? $250-$300 for a MHG?? Just bend over with no vaseline used.

John Stricker
Russell, KS