What are you reading?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
starscream5000;1465716 said:
I'm still stuck on "The Rivan Codex" by David and Leigh Eddings. That damn book is tedious to read during all of the racial backgrounds of all of the different countries in that book. Finally got past that part though, so *should* be a bit of a faster read as it's getting interesting again ;)

Finally finished that fucker! If you cut the middle of the book out and glue to two remaining halves together it's not a bad book really.

Next up: "Belgarath The Sorcerer" by David and Leigh Eddings

mkiiibro

Sep 25, 2009
Detroit
Just finished Home to harlem (claude mckay), Manhattan transfer (john dos passos), and Middlesex (jeffery eugenides). All are fantastic reads. :icon_bigg

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
DsBetterHalf;1482691 said:
City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams. It's the first book in The Otherworld series, and I'm really enjoying it so far!

I have the Otherworld series, but have not read them yet. Are they supposed to be read first, or are any of his other works supposed to be read first?

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
starscream5000;1482884 said:
I have the Otherworld series, but have not read them yet. Are they supposed to be read first, or are any of his other works supposed to be read first?

The Otherland series can be read without having read his other works. And sorry, I also typo'd - it's the first book of the Otherland series, not Otherworld.

I also read War of the Flowers, which is a stand-alone book, as well as Tailchaser's Song, another stand-alone. Both were very good.

I have not read any of the Shadow books (Shadowmarch, Shadowplay, or Shadowrise), nor the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. They are next on my list of books to obtain :)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
DsBetterHalf;1483037 said:
I have not read any of the Shadow books (Shadowmarch, Shadowplay, or Shadowrise), nor the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. They are next on my list of books to obtain :)

I'm guessing that all if his book series are standalone then?

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
starscream5000;1483113 said:
I'm guessing that all if his book series are standalone then?

Pretty much, yeah. I haven't found a book of his that I haven't enjoyed, so it works well. Not to mention that I read very quickly, so the fact that his books tend to be around 800 pages is a plus. :) It's nice when a book takes me longer than one day to read.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
On a new book now, it's an omnibus, "The Elenium" by David Eddings. Having a tough time getting into it as it's not set in the same world as all of his past books that I've read.