What are you reading?

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
I'm reading The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan, it's part of the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series. They are for kids, but they are funny and actually have a LOT of information in them regarding the Greek pantheon.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Finished this book Friday and am reading "Otherland Volume One: City of Golden Shadow" by Tad Williams. Not into this book too much as it's completely different than the fatasy books I'm used to. Don't know it I'll finish this one or not. I'm half tempted to toss it in the garbage...

starscream5000;1537054 said:
Finished that book a while back. It got a lot better once I was used to the new settings. I'm reading the second and final omnibus in this series "The Tamuli" by David Eddings. I'm about 150 pages into this one and it's pretty good, just finding it hard to make time to ready anymore.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
starscream5000;1559711 said:
Finished this book Friday and am reading "Otherland Volume One: City of Golden Shadow" by Tad Williams. Not into this book too much as it's completely different than the fatasy books I'm used to. Don't know it I'll finish this one or not. I'm half tempted to toss it in the garbage...

I didn't make it through it :( I gave up on it about halfway through, just couldn't do it. I loved War of the Flowers, and Tailchaser's Song, and the Otherworld book didn't catch me like his previous books. Oh well.

I'm currently re-reading the Tir Alainn novels by Anne Bishop, Pillars of the World, Shadows and Light, and the House of Gaian. I love her books, I own everything she's written, lol!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I'm getting close to being half way done with it, it's getting better, but I'm finding that I have to almost force myself to read it.

DsBetterHalf;1560602 said:
I didn't make it through it :( I gave up on it about halfway through, just couldn't do it. I loved War of the Flowers, and Tailchaser's Song, and the Otherworld book didn't catch me like his previous books. Oh well.

I'm currently re-reading the Tir Alainn novels by Anne Bishop, Pillars of the World, Shadows and Light, and the House of Gaian. I love her books, I own everything she's written, lol!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Okay, so I'm about 3/4 through the book and it's getting much better. All of the jumping around between groups of people with no foreseable relation to each other really kills the book IMHO, but now you can tell they're all drawing together into some sort of climatic meeting towards the end.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
starscream5000;1565898 said:
Okay, so I'm about 3/4 through the book and it's getting much better. All of the jumping around between groups of people with no foreseable relation to each other really kills the book IMHO, but now you can tell they're all drawing together into some sort of climatic meeting towards the end.

Okay, so I'm almost at the end of the book and everyone's met now, the book is now setting itself up for the next one, almost to the climax. It's an okay book after the first 350 pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I just finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonneght. A little weird but intresting to read. Lots of really cool outside the box ideas on life and death and the preception of time.

Next on my plie to read is All Families Are Psychotic by Douglas Coupland. I read another book by him, Girlfriend In a Coma and I really like his writing style.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
***NOTICE***

For those of you that have read and enjoyed the books by George R R Martin in his Fire & Ice series (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows) -- in 2011 HBO will be premiering a new series called A Game of Thrones. It is based on the books, and Martin is playing a LARGE part in the production of it.

So psyched!! Can't wait!!

In other news, I'm re-reading the Kushiel novels by Jacqueline Carey. Definitely a different take on religion and fantasy combined :)

Lovesick Siren

Ice Princess
Sep 30, 2005
Georgia
www.myspace.com
I have, quite by accident, managed to wolf down novels lately like a fat kid at a buffet table.

In these past three weeks - to the day - I have read Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams, Everyone Worth Knowing, by nobody worth reading, A Fine and Private Place by my personal literary hero, Peter Beagle, and the following by Patricia McKillip, who's sort of my novelist version of a rockstar (I'm devil horning her as we speak): The Riddle Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, Harpist in the Wind, In the Forests of Serre, and The Bell at Sealy Head.

Somehow, this thread escaped me the entire time.

I'm about 10 pages away from finishing A Fine and Private Place, and for whatever my opinion is worth, it was exactly that, for me. A fine and private place, somewhere comforting to escape to. Even when its characters all became hopeless at the same instant, I kept reading without so much as a pause. Tailchaser's Song became really dark and unpleasant in the second half, one of those books that follows you on late night trips to the toilet and makes you second-glance at things even when they're familiar. I literally stopped reading it for a day to recover. o.o I might be way too sensitive about cats. . .

Either way, I was ripe for something sad, slow, and touching. There is no fanfare in this book; it's the Tarantino of novels - mostly dialogue. Funny, clever, heartbreaking dialogue. Nothing in it batters you over the head with its message, it's a very subtle story.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Maybe it was just the right time for me to read something about loneliness and intimacy, but whatever the case, I highly recommend it to basically anybody.