weight reduction

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
1.) Join a weight loss program.
2.) Get a hard top, pre-89.
3.) Add power to compensate for weight and think like a Supra owner.

There's a link somewhere on this forum that shows weight for every component on the MK3.

I wouldn't change a thing and stick to option 3, IMO. The Supra is one of those cars where you can add the power, drive for hours on end with the A/C on, step out of the car to take a whiz, get back in and keep going.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
things ive done to reduce weight-
1. switch out stock front seats for racing seats( driver seat alone weighs like 90 lb)
2. rear seat delete including seat belts (sitting cushion left in to dampen exhaust noise)
3. sound deadening from underneath carpet (under front/rear seats and hatch area) takes off about 60 lbs
4. 1 piece aluminum driveshaft(saves about 30 lb)
5. aluminum radiator
6.aftermarket sway bars+ suspension (saves a few pounds of unsprung weight)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
RockPaperSwoRD;1622509 said:
1. switch out stock front seats for racing seats( driver seat alone weighs like 90 lb)
2. rear seat delete including seat belts (sitting cushion left in to dampen exhaust noise)
3. sound deadening from underneath carpet (under front/rear seats and hatch area) takes off about 60 lbs
5. aluminum radiator

Your current Weight?

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
RockPaperSwoRD;1622509 said:
5. aluminum radiator

Ok front seat is not 90lbs its actually 69lbs ( i put it on a scale)
Sound deadning.... I ripped out all of mine and didnt even hit 25lbs!!
Rear seat delete... depends if you leave it all gutted then yea you saved 15-20 lbs. but if you plan on covering it with carpeted ply wood to make it actually look legit then you have just wasted your time.

thanks.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
buy this hood and tell us the fitment :naughty:

5x3ekw.jpg

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Aftermarket swaybays are significantly heavier than stock. I've replaced the seats, aluminum one piece driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, complete ac delete, rear seat delete, aluminum radiator. The weight difference adds up but it's still not a light car. Never got around to weighing it.

The point is that there is no single place where the MKIII is heavier than normal. Every piece is beefy and you have to go through replacing all kinds of crap to get a significant drop.

37CHEVY

Oct 2, 2010
Antioch CA
losing weigh, hmmmmmm, get rid of

1. all seats/ replace with 1 bucket seat
2. carpeting, and heating pad/ noise reducing crap.
3. get rid of, stock wheel, go with a hub and racing wheel
4. race wheels, small tires/ stretch
5. get rid of wing
6. A/C
7. get rid of door panels.
8. windshield wiper reservoir
9. carbon dash.
10. carbon hood
11. so much more, but that pretty much making a race car

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
there use to be a pdf floating around with the weight of just about every part of the mk3 listed, i think i might still have it backed up somewhere

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
I just ripped all of the plastic sound deadening stuff out from the front floor pans, transmission tunnel, rear seat pan, and trunk. All said, JUST the sound deadener was around 100 lbs. I've never seen so much of the stuff installed in a car in my life. The entire interior of the car is now removed for a pretty extreme restoration effort (northeast salt isn't kind to any car), and I easily have 200-250 lbs of interior "stuff" up in the attic as a result. The rear seat components are fairly light...probably not more than 30 lbs total. The front seats are extremely heavy, as are a number of the interior panels which strangely enough have a metal backing. I don't intend to dive into the dash area for awhile, but there is undoubtedly some oppertunities to reduce weight there as well. I have owned a 240SX, and aside from the weight issue, this MK3 supra is superior in both design and construction hands down. The suspension and drivetrain are a "no brainer", as well as the stock brake package, fit and finish, etc. I can't even really compare the two except to say that if you're planning on putting some serious power into a 240SX (i.e torque), you need to seam weld everything, fill cavities with structural foam, brace the hell out of the strut towers, and put in a cage. I don't see the need to do any of that with my MK3 and will feel very comfortable plunking a 450hp V8 under the hood in the next few months.

I consider the fact that the Supra is adequately "massive" to be a benefit in more ways than it is a hinderance.

SG

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
well said.. so many people complain about the weight, but it's a more or less a non-issue IMO. that being said, one can remove some weight and still have a comfortable car.

I've been around S-chassis for quite a long time too, and even the S14s are borderline shitboxes as far as I'm concerned, but they're not nearly the level of the S13.