Ways to cure 7M oiling issues

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
This guy is unbelievable. I hope you have this kit ready by the time I go to install my modified oil pan and crank scraper. It's gonna be a PITA to do with the motor in and doubt I'd go through the trouble of taking everything apart again to install the this kit lol

Mo

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
what we need to get is a replica of the group A pan. I was working on Canton racing to make and produce a pan, someone was going to check into it cause he lived near them but never heard anything.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
927mgtepat said:
what we need to get is a replica of the group A pan.

I have been holding off on saying anything but since you brought it up, here you go.

I have considerable design experience with aluminum castings, and I have looked into it but didnt want to comit to it because the tooling expense is huge.

If there is a serious interest in the Group A Pan design I would consider making it if I could get 15 people to prepay at least 200 bucks a piece, I anticipate that to be close to (but not limited to) 50% of the price of what I could/would sell them for. My target price would be the price to less than $500 (maybe) if possible and not sell following units for less than the initial price (to make sure all the first guys dont get jammed by lower prices later). My actual target is $400 but we will see, I dont want to promise anything.

This pan design would be a long term effort resulting in probably not seeing your parts for more than 4 to 6 months. I plan on a windage tray and hinged baffled trap doors, Im not going to do it unless its right.

The design might not have a kick-out on both sides, possibly just the side with the sump closest to it with the rest of the volume being made up by dropping the aft portion of the oil pan.

If there is any serious interest in a cast aluminum pan PM me. If I get enough SERIOUS pm's I will seriously entertain producing this product.

Since this might possibly be a community endevor I will promise to keep you up to date on all of my design milestones, IF this becomes a GO.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
As much as I would prefer the GpA pan, I don't think that a $400 replica would sell fast enough to make it worthwhile effort.

Personally, I have no issue dropping $400 today for a pan - but in 4-6 months my motor will be back in the car (should be within the month). I don't know too many people that would want to pull the motor to swap a pan (I wouldn't want to), or have the motor out often enough to warrant buying a pan now to swap in later. My educated guess after being a supra owner for the last 6 years is 20 or fewer people have their 7m's out more than once a year over the course of car ownership (this is a floating number, I'm sure it gives and takes a bit as car ownership rolls over).

Again, I think it would be great to have a better pan design, I would just hate for Arz (or who ever would decide to build it) to get stuck with a unit that they sold 1x every 3 months and it take 4 years to break even on for the tooling.

If the community made a financial effort to support such an investment (like with Randy's subframe mounts), I could see doing it. I would be disappointed as an owner to see someone make the effort and then get shafted because people bailed after they realized that swapping a pan is more involved than a set of cams...

I don't want to be a party pooper; just voicing my concerns. If that many would be interested, this would be a great time to show some support and pony up the cash...

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Everything is still out for quote, its only 1 day since my last update.:icon_bigg

Thanks for your honest opinion, I am in agreement about the number of people that are interested thats why I threw it out there. Just incase I was wrong.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
OK heres the deal.... my machinist has the tools for cutting these special threads now and I have a quote back from the CNC tube bender. Looks like the price will be $129.00 for the complete kit to run a hard line from the oil pump to the block with my special AN fittings. Both ends will be 37deg JIC flare and the tube will be flared and the B-nuts and tube sleves already installed.

Before I cut the CNC bender guy and My Machinist loose I need to know how many people are interested in this product.

The complete kit will consist of:
2 steel special AN fittings
a Jamb nut,
2 tube nuts (B-nuts)
and 2 tube sleeves
with the pre-bent and flared tube (all nuts and sleves installed) of course.

This will be a bolt on kit and will only require the application of teflon tape at the threads. I will have pictures of the kit some time this weekend hopefully.

What I need to know ASAP:
Who is interested in this kit and if you are willing to buy right away? You dont need to pay at this moment, just a gentlemans agreement that you will pay for this as soon Im ready to ship them. I will provide photos of the parts ASAP.

The first batch will be pre-production parts and look slightly different than the CNC bent tubing, but will function and perform exactly the same.

Lead time on the parts will be between 1-2 weeks before I can ship them.

The price will be $129.00 plus shipping and handling.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Me too ;). You have my word, I just cashed in my stocks and my next paycheck (this wedsday) will also have a decent bonus on it.

Edit:: A cheaper solution that is offered for our oil pans right now (if you all weren't aware of) is this: Dr. J can have two extra spaces welded onto the stock oil pan giving the an increase in volume of around ~1 quart, but I don't think there are any added baffles (not sure).

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
a couple of questions ARZ. Is the tube still aluminum? and also how are you getting around, we the consumer having to drill and tap the oil pump housing but still keeping the .50 ID or larger of all the components in question. Also I defintely would like to see pics. Thanks And more than likely Im in tooooooooo!!!

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
also how are you getting around, we the consumer having to drill and tap the oil pump housing but still keeping the .50 ID or larger of all the components in question.

I am designing custom AN fittings that match the exact threads in the pump and the block. My Machinist had to buy very specific tooling to match the rare thread in the block. The Thread coming out of the pump isnt so rare its just that no one makes a 90deg metric to AN adapter and there isnt enough room to do it straight. It would run hard into the oil pan. Also I am increasing the inside diameter so much that only steel parts will be strong enough.

If your not familar with my other products, Im not a fan of needing to customize new (already custom) parts in order to make them work.

I am the one specifying every detail on this kit. My Macninist is modifying an existing AN fitting he will make sure the entire part is to my exacting specifications. My designs specify a larger inside diameter than "off the shelf" AN fittings, and definately larger than the original tube.

The "new" tube will be made out of hydraulic grade seamless tubing. Same there, the inside diameter will be as big or bigger than the dimension I show on my one-off custom aluminum tube.

This kit will meet or exceed the 30% increase I have shown on my custom tube install.

Last edited:

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Wow Andy im really looking forward to seeing pics of this new setup your explaining. It sounds very trick. I thought your original design was pretty awesome but it sounds like you have made it exceptionally better! And I know all about rare threads in these blocks. Those 2 little plugs on the exhaust side of the block are 1/8 british pipe thread. It took me forever just to find out what they were, then finding someone that could get a tap. It was $30 just for a tap.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm down. Let me know when they're done and where I can send the money.

Mo

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
arz said:
The Thread coming out of the pump isnt so rare its just that no one makes a 90deg metric to AN adapter and there isnt enough room to do it straight.
oh really? local hydraulic line shop here has them in stock. i bought 2 of them friday. fits the pump and has a 8an on the other end. end wit hthe pump has a lock nut on it to hold it wherever you clock it.

sm_photo_missing.jpg