Vacuum lines popping off at 15psi. Which ones can I remove?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I will upgrade to silicone hoses soon, but was I was wondering which vacuum lines I could eliminate, as they sometimes pop off under boost.

What are the VSV's under the intake manifold for? Part #'s 17650 and 25860?

Also, I was trying to see where hose 17344 goes, and it seems to loop back up to the hardline to the BOV. Is this true?

vacuum_2h.gif

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I use smaller versions of the springs clamps found all over the engine. Prior to that I used what IJ said in matching colors for the hoses. Either will solve the problem.

17650 is for the Fuel Pressure UP system. 25860 is for the EGR. The CBA line is indeed missing on that diagram and connects between the two open fittings shown...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I like the small wire clamps JJ suggested...they look better to me and are re-usable.
As stated, either will work.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
The ones under the intake are incredibly hard to reach. My engine is JDM without an EGR. I still have 2 little electronic modules under the intake with vacuum lines connected to them. Assuming one is the fuel up (which I don't need with my upgraded fuel system), what might the other be? Thanks guys!

JJ, would I find those clamps at an auto parts store?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
The other VSV or little electronic modules is for the EGR.

I am also curious about the clamps. I have never seen any in the local parts store. The only two I have came with my BOV.
Any where online we can get them?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's for high temp starts...it's ECU controller when coolant temps are above a certain value. Taking it out can cause hot start issues.
If you remove it, put a vac line between the 2 vac fittings that attach to it.

tekdeus;1113932 said:
which I don't need with my upgraded fuel system

And, what makes you think you don't need it?

Stu_22;1114734 said:
So if you have ditched EGR can you chuck away that little electronic module for it

You can, but block off the vac line feeding it.

Concerning the EGR...read this...start at post #16:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78780&page=2

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
i dont mean to hijack here but Jdub could you tell me where the VSV is your talking about? I think mines going bad, Im getting a hot start problem the car kinda chokes to life sometimes. The problem started about 3 months ago at the drag strip and it does it every so often. I had no idea what could cause it until you just said that and a lightbulb turned on in my head.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There's two VSVs attached to the flange connecting the lower/upper intake manifolds...the aft VSV is the EGR...the forward VSV is for the hot start idle up.

Here's how to test it:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=116

Check the vac lines 1st before you remove it to make sure it hasn't popped off. An easy way to check (if you have an FPR with a gauge on it) is pull the vac line off the FPR and there should be a FP rise.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I use nice metal clamps, it makes everything look very good, if you like have a impressing engine bay. if you choose to move them or take them off you also can reuse them for many other applications. I have had well over 20 psi~
I never blew off vacuum lines, just a inter cooler pipe once.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i used cable tie they failed on me so super gule work on in my case

depends what you are keeping in the car ect you can ditch alot of stuff and make the vac lines simple as pie

IJ.;1113680 said:
Small cable ties ;)
(mine stay on at 30psi)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Ok, final couple of questions:

- Are the 2 vacuum ports at the top of the throttle body different than the ones after the TB? Last time I looked inside the throttle body, those ports seemed different, being directly next to the throttle plate when closed.

- Should my fuel pressure regulator(AFPR) be running off the top TB port?(the one closer to the rear of the bay)? Or off the intake after the TB?
I am getting rid of the FP up VSV under the intake(never had hot start problems anways).

- I have one vac line connected to the lower port on the thermostat BVSV 23262, but nothing on the upper port. Where is this port supposed to connect to?

Thanks for the help so far guys, I've figured out what I don't need, and will replace the rest of the lines with silicone. Especially after one of the stock lines burst a hole in the hardest-to-reach place under the intake. Argh!

vacuum_2h.gif

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
upper port on the coolant/thermostat thing is suppose to go to the charcoal canister. you may not have one..

afpr should be manifold pressure, as it sees boost it rasies the pressure.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Not that it's a huge difference, but the bottom fitting on the BVSV goes to the charcoal canister ;)

Rennat is correct on the AFPR.

The vac port on top of the TB have an orifice before the TB plate for a reason. The rear fitting is for the EGR (pre-TB)...it cuts vac off from the EGR modulator at idle, effectively closing the EGR valve so there will be no exhaust gas flow at idle. The forward one is routed to the BVSV, but the diagram shows it on the plenum side of the TB plate closed.

Don't use cheap silicone...they can collapse under vac. I'd use good ole rubber myself ;)