Tire Pressures.... what do you run?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
doonsuka;1870608 said:
Really, what other problems are there that I should be concerned with?
There is a little blue oval on the front, could start with that... :p

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Orion ZyGarian;1870289 said:
Nowadays you also have to reset the tire pressure sensor system anyways (standard on every car since 2007), so more people are going to have to, or risk getting comebacks

I used to hate those systems when they first became common; the sensors were expensive and nobody knew that they had to keep those waterproof caps on so half the cars coming in for tires had at least one seized valve core. Then there was the reprogramming crap with some cars needing special tools. At least now the sensor prices have come down, clone-able sensors have solved the problem for the cars that need expensive reprogramming tools, and the newest cars mostly have easy reprogramming with no tools or common tools.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I found this page... pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.arden.org/misc/pressure.html

Grandavi;1870372 said:
Someone clue me in... 30-32 psi (on a "normal" tire) would be good for 0-60 driving. For 60-100 mph wouldn't you want 35'ish? This is just "daily" driving, not track.
For some reason I think this is correct because there is more flex to cause heat at slower speeds.

Yes, most European cars actually have this on the tire pressure placard due to the high speeds on some of the highways over there. They call for a raise of about 3 to 5 psi depending on the speed you plan to run.

In addition to that there's the consideration of ambient temp changes on tire pressure. There's about a 1psi change in tire pressure for each 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) temperature change for the average car tire. Tire size doesn't affect this. Heat expands air in large tires just as much as in small tires. There's less air in small tires, but it also has less area to expand in so pressure rises just the same. Higher tire pressures will have a larger pressure rise vs temperature though, since there's more air in there to expand. The 1 in 10 rule applies pretty well for all car tires though, since we all run around 30 to 40psi.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
destrux;1870867 said:
I used to hate those systems when they first became common; the sensors were expensive and nobody knew that they had to keep those waterproof caps on so half the cars coming in for tires had at least one seized valve core. Then there was the reprogramming crap with some cars needing special tools. At least now the sensor prices have come down, clone-able sensors have solved the problem for the cars that need expensive reprogramming tools, and the newest cars mostly have easy reprogramming with no tools or common tools.
I agree that they are much more manageable nowadays, and I believe there are some aftermarket kits here and there to retrofit older cars with it. Of course, you could also simply keep an eye on your tire pressures.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As time goes by the systems get better. I know the tire shops hated them when I talked to the boys doing my wheels a couple years back. Especially when they had to explain them to the people who had them.
I like how my daughter's Dodge Journey will tell here what the tire levels are without her checking. Face it.. most of my kids have difficulty checking oil...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
That is a great feature. I'll admit I use it to check tire pressures in the cars that have it. Those sensors are just as accurate as my pressure gauge is.

I also forgot to mention... almost all of those TPMS sensors trigger at 25psi. That's the govt. mandated number that they have to trigger by. No lower, but maybe the manufacturer can set it higher. I know the ford E-250 vans that run 80psi have sensors that trigger around 55psi.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1870859 said:
They circled the Fault ;)
I see you're on the Holden side of the fight when the Bathurst 1000 breaks out all of a sudden...

Orion ZyGarian;1871000 said:
Of course, you could also simply keep an eye on your tire pressures.
Proper maintenance on a car? What a crrrrrrrazy concept! :p

Grandavi;1871042 said:
Face it.. most of my kids have difficulty checking oil...
You know, my sister kept wondering why her car kept pulling to one side, and nobody she knew (or my parents even, surprisingly) thought to tell her, "hey, have you noticed you've got about 12psi of pressure in your front right tire?"

I swear, I'm the only one in my family that actually attempts to maintain their own vehicles. My brother does a little too I guess, but he is more into restoration and the like, so it goes with the territory.

Scares me that there are so many 'operators' on the road who don't even understand the basics of keeping a car on the road. No offense Grandavi, but your kids aren't the only ones out there...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
te72;1871112 said:
No offense Grandavi, but your kids aren't the only ones out there...

They can move around quick on an iphone.. and can text while driving and survive somehow...
but... ask them to see how the fluids are in the car and they stare blankly.

Different generation from when I was born. I turned 16.. and immediately got my license.. tore apart 3 engines that year.. lol. Rebuilt 2... destroyed the 3rd.
I have to stand by my boys when they are fixing something and chant.. "righty-tighty.. lefty-loosey"

However.. you cant check auto transmission fluid on the newer vehicles.. so.. I think the automakers see their chance to profit on the now generation's disinterest in auto maintenance..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1871112 said:
I see you're on the Holden side of the fight when the Bathurst 1000 breaks out all of a sudden...

Always :D

I've owned 1 Ford in my motoring lifetime and only because it was the best available option and it wasn't a great car..

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Grandavi;1871123 said:
However.. you cant check auto transmission fluid on the newer vehicles.. so.. I think the automakers see their chance to profit on the now generation's disinterest in auto maintenance..

I was sad to see the auto trans dipstick go too. It finally stopped showing up in BMWs around the time the new E70 X5 was released (so, 2007?). The older E38 7 series of the 90s will always be one of the most ideal german cars ever engineered, and I'm pretty sure one of the last to still have 2 dipsticks.

As of 2006 or so, the E90 3 series (the one just now going out of production) doesnt even have an engine dipstick...it uses the oil level sensor that most have been coming with for a long time now anyways. Not sure if oil is in the car? Have to start it to get an accurate account of where the oil level is! Uh oh!

IJ: You might be surprised with Ford's latest creations then. I strongly detested Fords for years, but they really have finally got their poop together with the new EcoBoost engines, Mustang, Fiesta/Focus, etc. Dont forget one of the few manufacturers to still make an I6 engine, though I believe the 4.0 turbo is meeting its end soon due to emissions, if it hasnt already.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Grandavi;1871123 said:
They can move around quick on an iphone.. and can text while driving and survive somehow...
but... ask them to see how the fluids are in the car and they stare blankly.

Speaking of things that scare the crap out of me... I think Mazda said it best when discussing distracted driving: "We strive to build vehicles you don't want to be distracted from." Give a kid a cool car, do you think they will care what app they're using at the moment?

As far as the dipstick missing, it's just going to be relocated, to behind the wheel. :rofl:

IJ.;1871148 said:
Always :D

I've owned 1 Ford in my motoring lifetime and only because it was the best available option and it wasn't a great car..
You know, they're not my style either, but I've owned a couple (and driven plenty of others) Ford-era Mazdas to know that not everything they did was horrible. They just didn't always package it very well. :)

Orion ZyGarian;1871205 said:
IJ: You might be surprised with Ford's latest creations then. I strongly detested Fords for years, but they really have finally got their poop together with the new EcoBoost engines, Mustang, Fiesta/Focus, etc. Dont forget one of the few manufacturers to still make an I6 engine, though I believe the 4.0 turbo is meeting its end soon due to emissions, if it hasnt already.
I would probably have to agree here... they've shown significant progress when it comes to vehicle quality. Go figure, give us the Euro market vehicles that you've been building for years (even if we get the last gen models), and we like them? What a crazy idea!

Lonnie, what is this 4.0 straight six that you speak of, is it that Australian market only Falcon turbo engine? If so, I always thought it would be badass to bring one of those over here...

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
te72;1870781 said:
There is a little blue oval on the front, could start with that... :p

I'm feeling the love, but this is from a guy that claims to be straight driving a Miata. :stickpoke Besides I need to have something to tow my Supra home when it breaks. I've owned a ton of trucks in my time and so far my Ford has treated me better then any other I've had. If Toyota would get off there asses and make a decent 3/4+ ton truck that could safely pull a 35'+ toy hauler with a rail in it belive me I would have that beast in my drive way. I love going to the dunes and offroading this works great for me, and it looks sick as hell.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
doonsuka;1872025 said:
I'm feeling the love, but this is from a guy that claims to be straight driving a Miata. :stickpoke Besides I need to have something to tow my Supra home when it breaks. I've owned a ton of trucks in my time and so far my Ford has treated me better then any other I've had. If Toyota would get off there asses and make a decent 3/4+ ton truck that could safely pull a 35'+ toy hauler with a rail in it belive me I would have that beast in my drive way...
Just giving you hell man. I can tell you've never driven a Miata though, or you'd be having too much fun to care what other people think. ;)

Toyota actually had a diesel dually version of the Tundra in the works, then the economy took a shit on everybody unfortunately. Looked like a locomotive, it was pretty sweet. Me, I just use my Supra to tow stuff around in the rare occasion it is necessary. :)

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
te72;1872059 said:
Just giving you hell man. I can tell you've never driven a Miata though, or you'd be having too much fun to care what other people think. ;)

Toyota actually had a diesel dually version of the Tundra in the works, then the economy took a shit on everybody unfortunately. Looked like a locomotive, it was pretty sweet. Me, I just use my Supra to tow stuff around in the rare occasion it is necessary. :)
Oh I know your screwing with me, but be warned I'm fluent in sacrcasm:icon_razz. I also have to admit I to have concidered a Miata. :: facepalm :: Let's just keep that between you and me though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
doonsuka;1872131 said:
Oh I know your screwing with me, but be warned I'm fluent in sacrcasm:icon_razz. I also have to admit I to have concidered a Miata. :: facepalm :: Let's just keep that between you and me though.
Ford owner AND you're considering a Miata... :nono: Hand in your Man Card NOW!! ;)