Tire Decision Help

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Hey guys. I need some help deciding what tires to get for the front of my car.

I'm going to be getting a pair of RPF1's 17x8 with 35mm offset. I'm looking to run a 235/45 but can't decide what tire to get.

I have 245/45 Goodyear Eagle F1 Corvette front tires on there now on cobra replica wheels. The biggest selling point to me at this time is a tire that does not follow grooves in the road.

The Goodyear's will pull on anything and I can't stand it anymore. It's a battle to change lanes or enter a turning lane. These roads aren't even badly visibly grooved. It's even worse when braking. But it's never consistently to one direction.

I'm looking for a tire with decent wear, not a fortune but most importantly will roll straight. I'm also NOT looking for a supercar tire that will get the most traction. Though I do want a high speed rating.

What's everyone running?

-Dan

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well the 245's grip pretty good and the 235 only looses about 1/4 inch tread. Should be a perfect fit on an 8 inch wheel, no? 245/40's are slightly shorter and 245/45's i have are too tall and rub on bumps. The 235's are right in the middle height wise.

I'm not really looking for ultimate traction as it's more of a drag/straight line car.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Thought about trying a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3. I have run three sets of these tires on my N/A over ten years, never once had them rotated, all three sets wore evenly until they were done. Alos due to the V groove they dont pull from road grooves, and grip like a monkey on a branch. Not sure what F1s you have but it sounds like Eagle ZR Gatorback which were made for Corvettes

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you can get a GSD3 in a size you want I can vouch for them as well. I had a set on the Miata I had, and if they made them big enough for what I have in mind I'd be happy to purchase another set for the Supra. Long lived, great tracking, and hold the road very nicely. I couldn't even get 205's to squeal in the Miata, and I pushed that car as hard as I was brave...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
How about moving elsewhere? Can't imagine driving a Supra where you live man, I was just in Brooklyn over the weekend... place is crazy. :p

I currently have Continental DWS on my car (for winter), and they're not all that bad. Don't seem to follow road grooves much, but they do have really soft sidewalls, which tends to feel a little weird. Gotta say though, when pushed, they do hold the road pretty darn good. I'd be willing to try out a set of the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires, they seem to be well received by most, and the price isn't too bad either.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
if your car is pulling on line and breaking, isnt that a suspension issue as appose to tire.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

in anycase, i would go 245-35 rear and 235-35 front

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

oooh and michelin tires ftw. pilot sports are great for winter and summer driving. but then again i do live in san diego where its always warm

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
te72;1696104 said:
How about moving elsewhere? Can't imagine driving a Supra where you live man, I was just in Brooklyn over the weekend... place is crazy. :p

I currently have Continental DWS on my car (for winter), and they're not all that bad. Don't seem to follow road grooves much, but they do have really soft sidewalls, which tends to feel a little weird. Gotta say though, when pushed, they do hold the road pretty darn good. I'd be willing to try out a set of the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires, they seem to be well received by most, and the price isn't too bad either.

No no no no, i dont live in NYC. I live on Long Island. The roads where i live are WAY WAY WAY better then in the city. I work in Brooklyn so i know the how horrible they are.

super.secret.supra.club;1696119 said:
if your car is pulling on line and breaking, isnt that a suspension issue as appose to tire.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

in anycase, i would go 245-35 rear and 235-35 front

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

oooh and michelin tires ftw. pilot sports are great for winter and summer driving. but then again i do live in san diego where its always warm

I at first thought i had something loose in the front end. I replaced the lower ball joints when i first got the car and i have investigated the front suspension for any loose components. Nothing seems to be loose or worn. Steering feels tight also as in no freeplay in the wheel. Also had an alignment done, Though i think i want to do another.

Im stock ride height so i need a taller tire then that. Im sticking with stockish tire height as the 245/45's rub on bumps in the front. The rears have 275/60/15's and im going to be replacing them with 275/50/15's when they need replacing. The 28 inch (275/60's) drag radials rub too much for my liking. The 26 inch (275/50's) should fit better i just hope traction doesnt go down by much.

Looking for more of a summer tire as i have 3 cars one of witch is a Dodge 2500 Ram Cummins.

IJ.;1696215 said:
Seem really good and are exceptional in the wet (I had my doubts)

Bud has them on his SC400

Im going to look into the Dw's and the Nittos.

Keep em comin!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Looks like theres reports of the DW's and Nitto Invo's following grooves. I think its because these tires have large grooves and ribs. Im thinking i need a tire like the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 or the Continential DWS with a more closed all season tread so that they dont grab the grooves in the road.

I also measured the backspace on the cobra wheels i am running. Looks like a 9 inch wide wheel with 6 inches of backspace (confirmed here +24mm offset). The stock wheels are 7 inch and i measured about 5-1/2 inch backspace.

This means the cobra wheels have 2.5 more inches of wheel outside the knuckle. Would having so much more tire outboard of the wheel mounting flange make the front end more susceptible to pulling on the road? I would think it would because it has more leverage on the knuckle but maybe im over thinking it? :aigo: