Tire Decision Help

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
im a huge nitto 555 advocate. i had a set of 255/40/18s in the rear of my supra and they hooked well. never had them in front though although my friend has them all around his 04 gto and i love them on his car as well.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
mnracer550;1696878 said:
im a huge nitto 555 advocate. i had a set of 255/40/18s in the rear of my supra and they hooked well. never had them in front though although my friend has them all around his 04 gto and i love them on his car as well.

Do they follow the grooves? I was looking into them aswell.

I Think ive narrowed it down to the following.

Continential DWS
Continential DW
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

Reading reviews im leaning towards the DW's. Im not looking for the best handling tire but at high speeds (120+) i want to still have good control and im worried the DWS are too soft.

Cant find much on the firestones though.

Tramlining is the technical term for what im trying to avoid at all costs.

Seems width and stiffness of the tire is what increases the tendancy to tramline. This is going to be quite the ballancing act. Thinking of moving to a 225/45R17 tire and maybe down to a 7 inch wheel with stock offset.

Never thought buying wheels and tires would be so much work.:aigo:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I will say this much about the DWS, it has a very soft sidewall. For all the reviews on the DW I read, I suspect that they also have soft sidewalls. Makes for a nice comfy ride, but makes responsiveness and direction changes a bit interesting... it's almost hard to trust the DWS at first, but put some faith in them, and they actually grip pretty good.

Personally, I'd have a hard time going with a Firestone... are they used in ANY racing series that you can think of?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
How do the dws's track? I'm thinking the soft sidewall will help with letting them roll over the road grooves rather then getting caught in them.

I'm thinking the dw's may be alright because as much as people say they handle well the most often said trait is how well they ride as far as ride comfort.

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well the wheels now are 17x9 with +22mm offset. I think this is partly/mostly the cause because there is much more wheel outside the knuckle then stock. But I do see reports of run-flat tires tramlining because the sidewalls are so stiff. Because if they hit and groove they don't want to flex and roll over instead there guided by them.

The suspension is stock springs/stock height and alignment was just done to factory specs.

I'm going to be installing energy bushings along with the new wheels and tires and I'm going to go to my old job to do an alignment myself so I can be sure it's exactly perfect. What angles should I be looking at the closest to reduce this when I do the alignment?

I'm thinking the continentals are going to be the tire. Just need to decide between the DW and DWS.

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah I run Bridgestone Potenza RFT
And when there is some groove in the road it will want to stay in it.
Firewall is beyond stiff, perhaps solid would be the word.
I have Dunlop SP01's in the back, also had in the front for a bit, they're pretty good tire I would say. I'm running a mild stretch on my setup though, so surely that hinders different handling aspects.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
te72;1697049 said:
I will say this much about the DWS, it has a very soft sidewall. For all the reviews on the DW I read, I suspect that they also have soft sidewalls. Makes for a nice comfy ride, but makes responsiveness and direction changes a bit interesting... it's almost hard to trust the DWS at first, but put some faith in them, and they actually grip pretty good.

Personally, I'd have a hard time going with a Firestone... are they used in ANY racing series that you can think of?

What size did you have on the front of your car and what size and offset wheels? Going to try to order everything Monday so it's time to make a final decision.

IJ.;1697208 said:
Tramlining would be more a function of geometry/alignment than tire design Dan, wheel offsets will play a huge part in this as well.

What should I look out for when I do the alignment?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sorry for the delay man, I only get on here during my lunch breaks at work. I have 255/40/17 DWS on a 17x8 +50 wheel. Like I said, they're a bit soft, but they do grip once you trust them.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
No problem. Any picture of how the front wheels sit?

I just ordered the DWS with rpf1's 17x8 with +45 offset. Said I should have them by Thursday. Free mount and balance too. :)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well, One day later Tire Racks quick shipping had my new goddies at my door yesterday. This morning i woke up early and got them mounted up despite the crappy weather. They looked very nice when recieved with free lugs!

Weighed the Cobra wheels and GarbageYear tires, Scale said 54lbs......Each. Weighed the new combo and the scale said 38lbs! 16LBS lighter on EACH SIDE!

Best part is that i drove around on them and it doesnt tramline. The most problem turn lane barely sucks the car in, but it doesnt jerk the steering wheel or feel even half as out of control as it used to. I guess thats why the goodyears are #30 something in there catagory.

Another thing is since these have more offset the power steering feels way better. Used to be hard to turn when moving very slow or stopped, Not anymore.

Specs are 235/45/17 Continential DWS on Enkei RPF1 17X8 with +45mm backspace. The fitment is very nice, Tire Rack FTW!

PICS!!!

p1699026_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good to hear you like them man. My wheels are a bit sucked in (not terrible, but it works), yours stick out just a bit more, look better too. Hard to believe they're that much lighter, I wonder if I can get those wheels in a size that would work for me..?

As for GY tires, I've had good experiences between 4 sets of three different style tires. But, they were pretty much top of the line when they came out, and are still rated highly. :)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well tire rack lists the tire weights as 22 for the continental and 30 for the Goodyear EMT's. The RPF1's are 16 lbs and I'm guessing the cobra replicas are 25 a piece.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Now that i have put a couple hundred miles on these tires i would reccomend them to anyone who needs tires. They are great, quiet and comfortable and grip very well. Yesterday it was raining all day and the car drove perfect, Today its 70 and sunny and same result.

Updated sig with this picture. Took it with a camera instead of Iphone like last picture. Refer to Build Thread for more pictures.

p1699652_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks good man, if a bit odd, like you're mixing up different driving disciplines. :p

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea I'm building the car to to everything aswell as possible. I need the traction of the big drag radials but want the well manners in the front for corners and rain.

Believe it or not the 275/60 DR's aren't bad at all while turning.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I believe you, I had Nitto 555R's on the rear of mine for the longest time, and when they finally blew, I stuck the 555's that were up front out back (same 275/40/17 size), and the thing would let go on the turns a LOT easier than it was with the drag radials out back...