Thinking of Stroking the 1j

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
So a while ago I opened up on my car up to around 7500 rpm and saw a nice trail of smoke behind me when I came to a stop, and the car went under hydro lock a while before and ever since makes a nice slapping sound from the block when cold. I'm under the impression that a piston ring is fried or something worse. I could be wrong but I'm past that and I've decided that I need to build my credit with a small loan and why not use it too build the 1j? The car made 415 at the wheels on 16lbs before with a pt6262. This is where I need some help. My mechanic knows a machine shop that could take my motor stroke it and build the block and head build for about 7 grand. And I would be looking at a motor that could handle 1000 plus hp...but in reality I would most likely have it at a comfortable 600hp hoping the tranny will hold. I don't want to spend extra cash on a transmission and I'm really hoping my rear wont blow out. If anyone has any experience doing a 1.5j or if anyone has or knows of someone with a stroked 1j I'd like the input. This will be my first serious build and I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I'm not trying to spend more than 10k, I already have twice that much invested in this car....fml. For some reason the thought of a 2.8 stroker is really appealing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Avi

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Better off just using a 2j block.

1j is just a destroked 2j. 1j 71mm stroke 86mm bore. 2j 86mm bore and stroke.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
The 1j block is also alot shorter than a 2j. So stroking a 1j, would require hella short rods or custom pistons with a pin much closer to the rings. The displacement sounds nice, but at the cost of rod ratio and the potential to actually lose the tq your trying to gain. As hvyman said, souce a good 2j block and use your head.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
ROBAPHENT;1915447 said:
Has anyone thought Maybe he is trying to cheat the system? some classes of racing are done via CC bracket Maybe he wants to enter under 3L class and get the most out of it or something?

Anyway it has been done

2.6L Stroker

2.8L Stroker

If he want to pay $7k for parts and what else for etc. For a stroker kit. Or he can pay $800 for a 2jz long block.

Just buy another long block either 1jz or 2jz and sell your current block.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
I should but I like having unique set ups and I really don't want to get a new motor unless I have to. For some reason Ive become attached to the 1j...I want to see what kind of a beast it can really be. I don't really mind that it might not be as good as a 1.5j but it most certainly would be cooler lol....All original 1j stroked to a 2.8...honed and machined heads putting a reliable 600whp. Sounds very attractive.

@robaphent: Ive heard bad things about MTR.

This is my setup how it sits today

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
ROBAPHENT;1915499 said:
I just used them as examples.

I have stuck with my 1JZ as it does everything i need it to do and i can stay under the 3L rule in the track days we have here in Australia.

Classes are setup by L 0-2L 2-3L 3L+

I don't really intend on strictly using it for the track, I in time want to make it a nice street/track car. And I love the 1j, and the way it sounds with my manifold was just pure sex. I couldn't get enough of it.

dubsupra209;1915501 said:
Mtr legit as far as I know. I know there manifolds are

Yea they definitely have good products, but I read some things about how they handle business poorly.

@IJ: Lol I guess its just personal preference. Im still not 100% sure what I should do...Im just leaning on the 1j right now.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you stroke a 1JZ, it will sound like a 2JZ. Because a 2JZ is basically a stroked 1JZ. A stroked 1JZ isn't going to impress anyone; most people will still see it to be substandard to a 2JZ. People tend to heckle 1.5JZ builds as being pointless already, doing the same thing via a more expensive route not going to get you any fame. Any other motor and it would be a worthwhile project, but this motor, no.

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
destrux;1915632 said:
If you stroke a 1JZ, it will sound like a 2JZ. Because a 2JZ is basically a stroked 1JZ. A stroked 1JZ isn't going to impress anyone; most people will still see it to be substandard to a 2JZ. People tend to heckle 1.5JZ builds as being pointless already, doing the same thing via a more expensive route not going to get you any fame. Any other motor and it would be a worthwhile project, but this motor, no.

I said unique not famous. And I don't think it would be a waste of time. With a 2.8 I would still have relatively short rod lengths and a 9500+ rev limit with a well built head. I wouldn't need new fueling or manifold or transfer case for the tranny. I could literally keep the same set up I have now until I plan on going e85 and need bigger injectors. The only thing I would be lacking is the torque the 3.0 pushes...and I guarantee it wouldn't be significant. My torque numbers as the car is now it's very impressive for a 2.5, 415whp 398wtq.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
S.A. supra;1915732 said:
Do it, and report back.

I still have to do some research. But ill definitely keep you guys posted

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
colpire;1915730 said:
I said unique not famous. And I don't think it would be a waste of time. With a 2.8 I would still have relatively short rod lengths and a 9500+ rev limit with a well built head. I wouldn't need new fueling or manifold or transfer case for the tranny. I could literally keep the same set up I have now until I plan on going e85 and need bigger injectors. The only thing I would be lacking is the torque the 3.0 pushes...and I guarantee it wouldn't be significant. My torque numbers as the car is now it's very impressive for a 2.5, 415whp 398wtq.

2J can do that rev limit last I knew.

Larger engine = more fuel needed, period.

Why would you need a new manifold or transfer case? It all bolts up...

colpire

Dec 22, 2009
Pa
Poodles;1915735 said:
2J can do that rev limit last I knew.

Larger engine = more fuel needed, period.

Why would you need a new manifold or transfer case? It all bolts up...

I'm not sure but if I wanted to go 2j instead the mani for my 1j will not bolt up. And does the r154 bolt right up to the 2j? I was under the impression id need to get a different transfer case. I really don't want to get a 2j block and mount it to the 1j head. I would rather keep it a 2j or a 1j. Not a halfer... just preferance. I'm just very curious to how a 2.8 would be. I think it would be fantastic... and I'm running upgraded fuel rails and injectors. I have 650cc's also running meth. So if I build the 1j I should be able to use the same rail and injectors and push it to about 600 no problem.