Thinking about 2uz swap in a 89 mkiii

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Poodles;1889083 said:
"lost title" is a red flag to me. There's always the chance of it being stolen, so you'll want to work on getting the title squared away. Getting caught with stolen goods isn't a good thing...

I wonder if its like up here where you can check to make sure that the car isn't stolen and register it as a parts car. That way if you ever want to put the car back on the road you have to get it fully inspected. As for the stolen side of it, I would imagine a phone call to a local registry or police station should work for you.

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
True. I mean he said bought on Craigslist, came with title. But over time lost it cause no need for car. But I'm still on the same thought as you. Even though it'd be cheap parts for my build I still have that thought it was someones daily car stolen and I just used everything they had

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
My car didn't have a title and here is the process I took. Called local state trooper to come to the car and he filled out various paperwork and ran the vin which came back as not stolen. I took the paper work to DMV to file for a lost title and they said it had lein on it ( i assume for work or what not) anyways I had to contact my insurance agent and get a bond for such amount. Don't remember detail on amount but I had to keep it for two years, but after I took the papers from insurance to DMV they sent it all to little rock and they sent me a title. The way I had it explained is if someone wanted to collect in the two years I would have to pay or give the car up. I know you haven't got that far or if your even considering it but just a heads up jic. In other words don't touch it with a 10' pole till police run the vin!!!

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
SuperRunner;1888615 said:
Stay away from the 2UZ, just don't even go there.

2UZ with 1UZ heads.....Better, but you are going to suffocate that displacement, but at least you will be able to rev. Stock 2UZ cams are not ment for rev's.

2UZ's blocks break around the 800hp mark
For clarification you mean a non-vvti 1UZ head, right? A VVT-i 1 or 3UZ head should flow the same/better than the 2UZ heads.

Also, if you wanted to run 2UZ heads on an early car, you could run the non-VVTi heads without worrying about oil channels afaik, but would still need a standalone.

800hp? I've heard of the rods letting go at anything over 8-9PSI but that may be old info. I would think 800hp on the skinny rods and 2-bolt main would be pretty damn good frankly, lol.

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
PureDrifter;1889341 said:
For clarification you mean a non-vvti 1UZ head, right? A VVT-i 1 or 3UZ head should flow the same/better than the 2UZ heads.

Also, if you wanted to run 2UZ heads on an early car, you could run the non-VVTi heads without worrying about oil channels afaik, but would still need a standalone.

800hp? I've heard of the rods letting go at anything over 8-9PSI but that may be old info. I would think 800hp on the skinny rods and 2-bolt main would be pretty damn good frankly, lol.

Yes, non-vvti. I would not run vvti heads. 1uz heads flow well enough for 1000hp with cams 800 easy without. Dont bother with 2uz heads unless you get aftermarket cams with it. Cam profile is all wrong.

2uz block itself will grenade past 800, that is of course if you have rods.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Kyle Hartman;1889131 said:
True. I mean he said bought on Craigslist, came with title. But over time lost it cause no need for car. But I'm still on the same thought as you. Even though it'd be cheap parts for my build I still have that thought it was someones daily car stolen and I just used everything they had
As has been said, get the vin, and call up the local PD to have them check it for you. Worst case scenario, you bust a potential thief. :p That said, $1000 for a running and driving LS400 is an awesome deal, especially if the "lost title" is the only thing wrong with it. I bought one with 176k and some deer damage (which honestly wasn't bad at all other than the broken headlight housing) for $1100. Damned good car though, if I ever need a DD that isn't a sports car, I know what I'll be looking for...

IJ.;1888851 said:
We have a TVS 2300 waiting to go on the Soarer, personally I think it's too much blower for the 4.0L But Al wants to go ahead with it..
Isn't that the same size blower on the C6 ZR1? I don't know much about superchargers, but is that going to cause a bit of lag/parasitic loss?

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
The amount of effort you put in to be "different" with a UZ swap is hardly worth it. You're spending thousands just to swap in a motor that only made 250hp/260lb when new. You're spending even more if you want to up the power. For all that time and effort, you could have an LS engine, which is much more powerful, compact, and has tons more support.

Sometimes, being different doesn't make you cooler, it just makes your retardation stand out more.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1889394 said:
Isn't that the same size blower on the C6 ZR1? I don't know much about superchargers, but is that going to cause a bit of lag/parasitic loss?

Yes it is but modern TVS Blowers as a good deal more efficient, while cruising there is minimal "loss" as it's in bypass mode and not compressing, I just think it's too big and will need to be turned too slowly to keep boost managable.

LunaVyohr;1907697 said:
The amount of effort you put in to be "different" with a UZ swap is hardly worth it. You're spending thousands just to swap in a motor that only made 250hp/260lb when new. You're spending even more if you want to up the power. For all that time and effort, you could have an LS engine, which is much more powerful, compact, and has tons more support.

Sometimes, being different doesn't make you cooler, it just makes your retardation stand out more.

Been saying much the same thing for years now but there are "the purists" that have to keep it Toyota no matter what even though the Mk3 chassis never came with an 1UZ and is as much of a hack as any other V8 swap....

Not to mention the LS is lighter, cheaper has a far better/affordable upgrade path and usually at least 1700cc larger and only 50mm longer yet narrower.. ;)

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
IJ.;1907718 said:
Been saying much the same thing for years now but there are "the purists" that have to keep it Toyota no matter what even though the Mk3 chassis never came with an 1UZ and is as much of a hack as any other V8 swap....

Not to mention the LS is lighter, cheaper has a far better/affordable upgrade path and usually at least 1700cc larger and only 50mm longer yet narrower.. ;)

But the 1UZ is JDM tight yo!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1UZ is cheap and can be made (almost) bolt in since people have already done the hard work for you. Until someone does the same for other engines, it will be the easier V8 to run :(

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Poodles;1907797 said:
1UZ is cheap and can be made (almost) bolt in since people have already done the hard work for you. Until someone does the same for other engines, it will be the easier V8 to run :(

I have done the 1uz and am in the process of the LSx motor. They are of the same complexity as far as I am concerned. Pricing is almost the same if you go with a truck engine but parts are far more plentiful and much cheaper.
I was able to buy an 02+ z06 cam, yellow springs, and push rods for $200 and it looked almost brand new. I was able to get a mail order tune on my ECU for $75. I got a brand new swap harness for $500.

I have done all the work to show how to bolt an R154 to an LSx engine and the cost is ~$500. Engine mounts are the last piece needed and those are fairly simple. I posted up my solidworks drawing of the ones I made that work with the 89+ round isolators.

What I like most about the swap is that any block from a 5.3L to a 7.0L will now bolt right in to my swap. There are just so many more options.

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
IJ.;1907718 said:

Can't remember the last time I saw a good running LS motor in the junk yard for $125.

I pick up a bout 2 1UZ motors a year. Complete with harness, ecu, all accessories and usually snag the bellhousing too.

It also comes down to preference. I for one prefer the sound a high revving oversquare 4v motor.

Saying "far better/affordable" is a bunch of BS though because what it comes down to is again, preference and also availability.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
c'mon guys...
188614.jpg
THIS is where it's at. I havn't seen ONE of these used in a swap yet ;)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
SuperRunner;1907890 said:
Saying "far better/affordable" is a bunch of BS though because what it comes down to is again, preference and also availability.

I believe he was referring to upgradability not the engine its self

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2