Thinking about 2uz swap in a 89 mkiii

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
I was thinking of doing a 2uz swap in the mkiii and wondered if it would truly fit trans wise. Like what trans can I use and how I'd even match a ecu to my body for that damn matter. Just give me some more info on it if possible cause I'd love to do it if plausible. Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its just like a jz swap wiring wise.

You will need trans adapters if you want to use a manual.

My buddy makes all the parts for the swap. toyotav8.com

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
The engine will fit, its heavy because of the iron block but its basically the same size as the 1UZ. A few parts are interchangeable between the UZ engines. More than likely you will need to use a standalone ECU/ modified engine harness or the factory ECU will not function without the key/ignition cylinder, anti theft computer, etc... Also you might run into issues controlling the VVTi unless you spend some serious coin for a good aftermarket ECU if you go that route. I have heard of a way around the factory blocks to, a ECU flash of some sort the dealers can do that will let the engine run without the imputs from those external components.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Is there a reason you want the 2UZ over the 1UZ? The 1uz is a fair bit lighter and I beleave cheaper then the 2uz. The big cost to the 1UZ or 2UZ swap will be fitting a manual trans. if you are going with a auto trans then it will be much cheeper.

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
I wanna try something different. But keep to the Toyota heart. I thought about 1uz swap but not heard of many 2uz. Felt it'd be pretty cool, hell I have a friend that makes turbo manis. May have to get him to make a twin set up for it as well. By doing that factory ecu is completely put of question isn't it?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Twin turbos yes. Should have some sort of tuning device.
Could prolly run a 2uz non Vvti off 1uz electronics.

4U2QUIK Would know. He has a pretty sick setup.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Twin turbos yes. Should have some sort of tuning device.
Could prolly run a 2uz non Vvti off 1uz electronics.

4U2QUIK Would know. He has a pretty sick setup.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Would that be something like the 1.5JZ, where you use a 2JZ shortblock with 1JZ heads and control electronics to basically have a 3.0L 1JZ?

There are still days where I miss having a V8. Not many anymore, but still, there's something about the sound...

Kyle Hartman

Jun 21, 2012
Inwood, WV
It just seems like a all round effective and cheaper swap considering tundras are decently common to come by in junkyards and such compared to a 2jzgte lol. In the end I'll have 2 more cylinders is the way I see it. No matter what swap is done I will keep to Toyota product. That's for sure. Like the saying goes, old supras don't die... They just get faster ;)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
As has already been said - 2UZ's are heavy. They might have good displacement - but consider that a fully built up 1UZ or 3UZ-FE, with ancillaries, weighs in at the same as a 7M-GTE without the ancillaries. You can squeeze a lot of horses out of 1UZ. I'd choose it, over a 2UZ even if they were available here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1887257 said:
LS, 6.0L in a MUCH easier to fit package...

Long Engine complete = 195Kg's.
If the OP is dead set on staying with the Toyota family, he could always get the 5.2 stroker for the 1UZ. That's different enough, no?

However, LS is always an option in my book. :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
And for 1/5th the cost you can stroke the LS to pretty well as big as you like... and still have a smaller/lighter package.

Sorry to sound like I'm bagging the UZ but having been involved with qa couple the last 4>5 years I just don't think it makes sense to use in a Mk3.