The Small Questions Thread

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Looking to get some information on the big block chevy valve springs.

I currently have them installed and have been running them for about 4 years now but upgraded to a large turbo. Since its bigger I'll need to Rev a little higher since full boost comes on later.

Having a hard time finding some information about how high I can raise the Rev limit safely with those springs? I've heard 7300-7500~ from a friend but would like to hear some input about this. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Janch;2076914 said:
Yeah guys i know that. Im not the one who wrote about not having overflow tank. I know physics and water expansion when hotter and all that....

Anyway - now im having 1.1bar radiator cap with temp gauge in it. i get max of 110C and its not leaking anymore.

110C is very hot I get a sweat on if my car gets anywhere near 100C

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
7MGTEsup;2077055 said:
110C is very hot I get a sweat on if my car gets anywhere near 100C

might be due to electric fans. i was using original Mitsubishi eclipse fans that do 1400CFM each and one of them stopped working. might be that and i know that 1400CFM is not enough. should be atleast 2000 to cool down 6 cylinder engine.
and i might get new radiator as well.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Does anyone know the length I need to have my driveshaft made to mate up to my stock lsd and to a short shaft th350?
I have my r154 and my new th350 so I can measure the difference. I was just curious if anyone else had a number so I could compare them. Thanks.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
If I'm swapping my 5speed into an auto shell as far wiring what all is required they are the same year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeowBox

Aug 8, 2012
CA
Is this front main seal seated properly? I cant seem to get it to go in any further though there's space behind it.

Ic0zyHW.jpg

Vbe5jy4.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
anyone know the bolt and or hole size in the hatch for an 88 wing?

how about the hole size for the rear wiper?

Recently got access to a lathe so I wanted to see if I could make some plugs for the holes.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Someone was making a rear wiper delete kit (I bought one... No idea where I set it...)

If nobody replies, I can look. I also have a 88 rear wing in my garage somewhere (same note as above)

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
I have a question about the stock water temperature gauge in 89+ Supras.

I have read in many threads that the needle is meant to sit near the middle of the gauge for a wide temp range.

Mine tends to sit at about where an hour hand would be on a clock for 3:20 to 3:40, but I have noticed that if I come to a stop, turn the car off, and then turn then engine right back on the gauge will read at around 4:00 until I do some spirited driving.

Just curious if others see this happening, and if it is something I should look into. Or is this just another facet of the "intentional sluggishness" Toyota has built into the gauge.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Assuming this is a rhd car? Generally when you turn a car off after its up to operating temp, the coolant temperature will climb a little bit right away. So if you start the car back up then drive it around, it will cycle the coolant bring it back down to operating temperature.

If you're concerned about the exact temperature you could install an aftermarket gauges

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Left hand drive, though I should have specified that the pivot of the gauge needle would be fixed at 9 o'clock. Thanks for calling that out!

I am seeing the opposite of what you mentioned, which would be the expected behavior to me.
(Basically, drive car until gauge is at the usual peak, just below center, pull over and turn car off so that gauge "resets" to zero and then turn car right back with almost no delay, note that gauge now reads a fair bit cooler.)

That is why I was curious if this was just part of that gauge's slow reading. I am not worried about my temps, though a hidden digital gauge would be so nice. Or a factory gauge without the "sluggishness" :)

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
loc182;2081566 said:
Left hand drive, though I should have specified that the pivot of the gauge needle would be fixed at 9 o'clock. Thanks for calling that out!

I am seeing the opposite of what you mentioned, which would be the expected behavior to me.
(Basically, drive car until gauge is at the usual peak, just below center, pull over and turn car off so that gauge "resets" to zero and then turn car right back with almost no delay, note that gauge now reads a fair bit cooler.)

That is why I was curious if this was just part of that gauge's slow reading. I am not worried about my temps, though a hidden digital gauge would be so nice. Or a factory gauge without the "sluggishness" :)
Jokes on me, for some reason I was thinking the needle was facing the other direction. It's been months since I've been in mine unfortunately..

As far as doing the opposite of what I said, I'm clue less.. I guess it's better than being hot!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Grandavi;2080726 said:
Someone was making a rear wiper delete kit (I bought one... No idea where I set it...)

If nobody replies, I can look. I also have a 88 rear wing in my garage somewhere (same note as above)
A-to-the-J sold the kit. I got it but havn't installed it yet.