The Small Questions Thread

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Starting this thread to help out noobs and/or anyone who doesnt want/need to start a new thread to ask a small/simple question,

got this idea from another forum and it seems to work very well, hope you guys like it and its helpful

ill start it off:

do -an fitting need teflon? i think my turbo drain is leaking, but its on there really tight

p1736946_1.jpg

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Yea the compression is the seal on the one end. But the thread needs a seal of some kind. I would recommend lots of threadlocker. It is good for withstanding vibrations and there are specific threadlockers for many applications.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Here ya go- pipe thread (like the end going into the AL turbo flange) needs thread sealer for it to not leak.
The hose end fitting needs no thread sealer at all, it just needs the proper torque be applied to seal properly- no gaskets or sealers at all! If the flare fitting still leaks, then you need to check for damage to the sealing surfaces and possibly replace the hose or end fitting. if there is damage.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
^thanks guys,

another question, i have a 1jz w/ 550's running off a microtech ecu, i was cleaning up the wiring and noticed that there is no resistor pack wire in, is this normal/possible b/c of the standalone? im new to standalones and am barely learning

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Not sure on Microtech, but I know that with my AEM if I didn't have a resistor wired in and I used low-resistance injectors that it would fry the drivers in the box. You may want to check with Microtech to see if they integrate it or if you need to wire one in! (sorry, not a JZ expert by any means, least of all a 1jz JDM engine) hope this helps a bit :)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Many after market ECU's use high impedance. If you were to use 550's without a resistor box you would not get to far.

Just looked micro tech uses high impedance.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
92TealSupra;1737070 said:
Many after market ECU's use high impedance. If you were to use 550's without a resistor box you would not get to far.

Just looked micro tech uses high impedance.

thanks, i just got this car a few weeks ago and have been doing all the research i can about it, and i cant seem to find many people is the us running microtechs :( so ive had to joing some australian forums to do some reading

thanks again

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I have a small question.

That lever that's in the door jamb, it does something with the seat belt. What does it do? I can hear something happening, just not sure what.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The lever in my driver side jamb is broken off, and the belt retracts fine.

The passenger side still has the lever and when you open the door the belt retracts suddenly with a buzzing sound.

So does that lever lock the belt out so it doesn't constantly put tension on the belt while you're wearing it? Hmm.

Anyway, another small question...

Can the child seat anchors from the canadian models be bolted into the US models?

I'm assuming these are like the "latch system" that comes in newer cars? If so, it works great on our mazda and would be handy to have in the supra. I noticed the pictures of the anchor brackets in the 91' TSRM

Also noticed the 91' (and all 89+?) had shoulder belts in the back which is interesting cause my 87 only has lap belts. Might be an upgrade for some people if they have kids in the rear seats that don't use car seats. The ratcheting lap belts holds a car seat much more securely though, since you can push it down and snug the belt.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
i plan on using maft pro in my next build, is the only sensor that gets removed the AFM, or can i remove other things, and if yes what?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1842448 said:
Also noticed the 91' (and all 89+?) had shoulder belts in the back which is interesting cause my 87 only has lap belts. Might be an upgrade for some people if they have kids in the rear seats that don't use car seats. The ratcheting lap belts holds a car seat much more securely though, since you can push it down and snug the belt.
I believe the C-pillar interior panel has a hole on it in the later cars, to mount the top part of the shoulder belt... Is the hole threaded for the bolt that the seat belt uses on the later cars though? That's what I would wonder. ;)

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Does coolant light come on when the key is in "run" mode (engine off). And if so, where should I start troubleshooting for it never coming on.(yes I replaced the bulb)

Thanks!

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
suprasick;1843358 said:
Does coolant light come on when the key is in "run" mode (engine off). And if so, where should I start troubleshooting for it never coming on.(yes I replaced the bulb)

Thanks!

talking about the birdcage? if so all you have to do to see if works is unplug the sensor on the bottom of the coolant reservoir, that should pop the light on, and no the coolant light only comes on when your low on coolant in the reservoir.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Compton74;1842450 said:
i plan on using maft pro in my next build, is the only sensor that gets removed the AFM, or can i remove other things, and if yes what?
You can remove the AFM if you go speed density. There's some stickies in the piggyback section.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
i have a 1jzgte bolt on cat back exhaust thats rare as all heck, but i have a 7m, will it bolt up correctly and if not what will need to be done! i love this thread

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Compton74;1844873 said:
i have a 1jzgte bolt on cat back exhaust thats rare as all heck, but i have a 7m, will it bolt up correctly and if not what will need to be done! i love this thread
Cat back exhausts should work with either engine, as the cat is in the same spot on all Mk3's. However, if the Mk3 has different cats for different engines (NA, Turbo) or different years (like the Mk2 did), you may need a bit more work to get it to work right. Shouldn't be too hard though. ;)

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
I'm in the middle of disassembling the head. I know that each valve is dedicated to where it came from ....

My Question: Do I have to keep the springs, keepers, and buckets to the same valve they came from?

Thanks in advance