The Small Questions Thread

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
#04;1888628 said:
!B6blTQwCGk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEyO9WzuF,BM)T0q0ZJ!~~_35.JPG

better photo, the relay on the strut tower... what does it do? TEMS?

I'm also wondering what this is... I do not have TEMS nor ABS... Random thought was something for the lights as I have one on each strut tower ?

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Im not sure, my ac switches were down at the bottom of that strut tower on the flat frame part.....Im pretty sure it a relay for something but without being there its kinda hard to help. Could trace wires somewhat and see the whereabouts of where they go....

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
How can I check my crank angle sensor in my 1jz? And also my iscv is being finicky, how do I fix that? :(

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Riceman83;1888788 said:
Im not sure, my ac switches were down at the bottom of that strut tower on the flat frame part.....Im pretty sure it a relay for something but without being there its kinda hard to help. Could trace wires somewhat and see the whereabouts of where they go....

they folllow the same route as the ABS/wiper motor/fuel resistor wires back into the passengerside A-piller/fender grommet... not too worried, as it is hidden away inside the fender now, don't know what it does = cannot remove it..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
BoostMonger;1888793 said:
How can I check my crank angle sensor in my 1jz? And also my iscv is being finicky, how do I fix that? :(
Being finicky how? As in the car dies/shuts off once it is warmed up, or revs on its own? The ISCV for the 1j is kinda expensive. Might be cheaper in the long run to go with a standalone ECU considering what all you've done to the car, you'll probably end up there anyway.

Try unplugging the ISCV. If it revs on its own once you start it, plug it back in. It should level out the rpm. Sometimes they 'stick', and being a sealed unit, cleaning them isn't an easy option like the 7m unit. Alternatively, if the car is dying once warmed up, try holding the throttle open a bit. If that keeps the car from dying, you can adjust the throttle stop a bit. Side effect, you'll have a slightly higher idle, and the ISCV will still not be working properly. :p

Can't really help you on the CAS though. Check the TSRM for how to test it?

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
te72;1889406 said:
Being finicky how? As in the car dies/shuts off once it is warmed up, or revs on its own? The ISCV for the 1j is kinda expensive. Might be cheaper in the long run to go with a standalone ECU considering what all you've done to the car, you'll probably end up there anyway.

Try unplugging the ISCV. If it revs on its own once you start it, plug it back in. It should level out the rpm. Sometimes they 'stick', and being a sealed unit, cleaning them isn't an easy option like the 7m unit. Alternatively, if the car is dying once warmed up, try holding the throttle open a bit. If that keeps the car from dying, you can adjust the throttle stop a bit. Side effect, you'll have a slightly higher idle, and the ISCV will still not be working properly. :p

Can't really help you on the CAS though. Check the TSRM for how to test it?

Car doesnt die, it revs up a little then goes back down, then back up, I took the vacuum line off and put my thumb over it, it leveled out. And I looked in the tsrm for a second and didn't see a crank sensor just cam sensors :(

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
BoostMonger;1889411 said:
Car doesnt die, it revs up a little then goes back down, then back up, I took the vacuum line off and put my thumb over it, it leveled out. And I looked in the tsrm for a second and didn't see a crank sensor just cam sensors :(
Cap off the vacuum line then? Might not be the proper way of fixing it, but if it gets you home to figure it out more...

I was wondering if I need this part right there in the middle. Its the black thing inside of the spring. Its spilt in and and the other side doesnt have it. If i dont need it, im gonna take it out. The picture is of the front driver side. Its the part that im touching.
p1906961_1.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its a dust cover. Not totally necessary. Its supposed to be attached to the bump stops tho. So having it at the bottom is pretty useless.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Small question, how far hp wise is a 255 lph pump and 550cc injectors good for? This is with methanol also btw.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Nvm my last question.. is it possible the stock 1jz ecu can control 750cc injectors being fed by a 400 lph pump if turn the afpr way low, just to drive to my tuner with the fuel system in place.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1916067 said:
Bump,

All I really want to know is, why shut off that fan with the headlights on???
If I'm not mistaken, the AC fans only come on when things get REALLY hot, correct? Thinking about it more, that really shouldn't have any bearing on the situation. Possibly to prevent too much current draw? Or perhaps a similar reason such as how your fogs turn off if you turn on the high beams?

BoostMonger;1916083 said:
Small question, how far hp wise is a 255 lph pump and 550cc injectors good for? This is with methanol also btw.
Just enough to melt things. ;)

HMNGSupraMKIII;1916933 said:
I was wondering where I can get a replacement direct replacement of the antenna. Somebody thought it would be funny to bend my antenna so now every time it goes up, it slants at a 45 degree angle....Really annoying so I barely have the radio on.
Do you listen to the radio much? If not, simply unplug it. If you do need the antenna for music, then perhaps check through the part out threads?

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
My antenna doesn't work at all. I read because once u put aftermarket radios u need to wire the amp turn on wire the the antenna motor so it will go up. I might just replace it with a universal stubby antenna. That might be something u might want to look into