The Small Questions Thread

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If nobody has answered your question, I suggest doing so if you haven't already disassembled everything and mixed it all up... reason being, to my understanding, these things can wear, and we're talking about tolerances of thousandths, so... I would keep it as close to spec as you can possibly manage. Good time to check your specs too. ;)

For what it is worth, when we put my cams in, only ONE shim was in spec where it came out of, and even after mixing and matching as best we could, we still had to get 20 more shims. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IIRC, there was a "changing your headgasket in ## easy steps" thread that was stickied somewhere in the Mk3 section. Should give you some good ideas and pointers. :)

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
you can also look in the Supra Build Up forum. a lot of people have done simple rebuilds while taking pictures of the key steps and posting the photos to the forum in their own build thread.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
question about tail lights

tail lights wont turn on at night/when headlights are on

brake lights work, bulbs appear ok

any insight or point me in the right direction, what should i be looking at

thanks

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Like above, to do with tail lights, they are leaking on wet days as I have heard this happens with many other mk3's
Replace the tail light gaskets and hatch rubber/seal, both or either or ?

Thanks

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I believe you should check your "lamp out" module. IIRC that will cause some of the rear lights to not work when it fails. They should have equipped the car with a "lamp out module out module" to let you know when the lamp out module fails. Then they would have needed a "lamp out module out module out module" though...and so on. Maybe they should have just left it up to the driver to check for burnt out bulbs. Much simpler.

So nobody knows about the canadian child seat anchors?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1880114 said:
Maybe they should have just left it up to the driver to check for burnt out bulbs. Much simpler.
Or the nice officer...

destrux;1880114 said:
So nobody knows about the canadian child seat anchors?
Got a picture? Never seen one, or even anything that would suggest such a system in our cars. I've only ever seen the LATCH system on cars with rear bulkheads.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
te72;1880729 said:
Or the nice officer...

Got a picture? Never seen one, or even anything that would suggest such a system in our cars. I've only ever seen the LATCH system on cars with rear bulkheads.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=7104&P=1

Part number 73709. Came only on "NATO" models. It was for the child seat tether system. Looking at it now, I'm not sure that's the same as the "LATCH" system. They picture one of them in the diagram, but you need two to use the system on our car seat, and a third mounted high for the top tether system (which is optional, but secures the seat better). It might be for some other system that they used back then. I found out that a bunch of car seat advice websites had this same part number listed for people who wanted to add the latch system to mid 90's camrys.

After looking into this, I think it's possible to do this, but it seems like it would be hard to actually use them. Toyota wants you to bolt them to the bolt that anchors the rear seat belt buckles judging from the picture in the EPC, so you'd have to fish the car seat latch through the hole in the seat every time you use them, which would suck.

Actually... I noticed in the pictures that the 89+ cars look like they came with a center rear seat belt....89+ owners, am I right about this? If I could fit that into my pre-89 car, I could put the seat in the middle and use the center belt to strap it down safely. IS the seat different too though? \

Old cars and child seats are a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1881515 said:
Part number 73709. Came only on "NATO" models. It was for the child seat tether system. Looking at it now, I'm not sure that's the same as the "LATCH" system. They picture one of them in the diagram, but you need two to use the system on our car seat, and a third mounted high for the top tether system (which is optional, but secures the seat better). It might be for some other system that they used back then. I found out that a bunch of car seat advice websites had this same part number listed for people who wanted to add the latch system to mid 90's camrys.
73709 is merely the bracket that holds the seat belt latch for the rear seats. I just took them out of my 87 yesterday, there are two of them. What I still don't understand, is where is this "third mounted high for the top tether system" that you speak of? I've never seen that part, or anywhere that it would really bolt to either...

I've been tearing apart the interiors of Supras for 6 years now, I know them pretty well, and have yet to see anywhere that you could mount a third bracket for the top, unless you were to get one of those c-pillar bars that bolt to the upper rear seat belt mounts on the 89+ cars. Then you could weld a bracket to that bar, similar to a harness bar... ;)

destrux;1881515 said:
Actually... I noticed in the pictures that the 89+ cars look like they came with a center rear seat belt....89+ owners, am I right about this? If I could fit that into my pre-89 car, I could put the seat in the middle and use the center belt to strap it down safely. IS the seat different too though? \

Old cars and child seats are a pain in the ass.
My 89 had a center rear seat belt in it when I tore it all apart after first getting it... from a GM van. Pretty sure that was never an option on our cars, at least not here in North America. Have you ever sat in the middle of the rear seat in a Mk3? Not comfortable at all, and I'm not a large guy by any means. It could probably be used in that method though.

All that said, I commend you for sticking to the Supra, where most parents think having a child is the equivalent of automotive defeatism. My mom had a 442, a Trans Am, among other awesome cars when I was a kid. Why can't modern kids experience that level of awesome? I mean... I turned out alright... right? :p

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Does anyone know if the front crash bar behind the front bumper of the GA70 series supra is the same as the MA70 series?

I have ga70 supra front bumper as a replacement which came with the crash bar and it would be better imo to prep the bumper and crash bar and put the whole assembly on the car at once than taking off the current one from my ma70 and prepping that.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ryansmith;1886045 said:
Does anyone know if the front crash bar behind the front bumper of the GA70 series supra is the same as the MA70 series?

I have ga70 supra front bumper as a replacement which came with the crash bar and it would be better imo to prep the bumper and crash bar and put the whole assembly on the car at once than taking off the current one from my ma70 and prepping that.
I'd be a monkey's uncle if they're different. No reason for Toyota to spend the money when the only things different (as far as I'm aware of anyway) on the GA70 is the engine and the front fenders. Are the rear fenders on those ones skinnier too?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
next to the fuel resistor pack and fuel relay, (mk3) there is another relay, what system is it for? ABS?

I ask because I am cleaning up the wiring around there and think I may tuck it into the fender with the fuel stuffs after the 12V+ mod...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^dosen't help. I have the proper 87 FSM and I could not locate an ID....

unless it is item T2...

p1888150_1.jpg

I found a random interweb photo, I am refering to the relay under the 45 degree rubber intercooler pipe, passenger fender well/apron frontside -- (dirty)white round plug

question #2

heatervs1.JPG

the vac line with the valve goes to ? the middle vac line goes to the top of the valve, and behind the valve is the 3rd port which goes to vac port on the intake mani?

EDIT: thanks - - - - http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?145678-DOCS-all-1jz-exploded-views

2ecd513d6f2aac61191d9b16685e174e.png

dosen't show the 3rd line in the back

Last edited:

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
On an N/A is there any point having a catch can running off your valve covers ? Was thinking about removing all the old (mostly corroded and cracked(tubing)) components and replacing it with a catch can located on my firewall...?

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
#04;1888150 said:
^dosen't help. I have the proper 87 FSM and I could not locate an ID....

unless it is item T2...

p1888272_1.jpg

I found a random interweb photo, I am refering to the relay under the 45 degree rubber intercooler pipe, passenger fender well/apron frontside -- (dirty)white round plug

question #2

heatervs1.JPG

the vac line with the valve goes to ? the middle vac line goes to the top of the valve, and behind the valve is the 3rd port which goes to vac port on the intake mani?

EDIT: thanks - - - - http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?145678-DOCS-all-1jz-exploded-views

2ecd513d6f2aac61191d9b16685e174e.png

dosen't show the 3rd line in the back

Wish I could help more but I'm not having much luck finding it either. I've looked threw my tsrm and term and I can't find anything that's a absolute answer, and it's not on my car so I'm out on this one.