The Small Questions Thread

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Grandavi;2073429 said:
Depends where you live, but I explained my car in detail to my insurance company and got 8700 for a 87 hardtop no turbo with rusted body.

I live out in Dallas, TX. What do you mean by explained in detail? Like everything you put into it?

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Grandavi;2073437 said:
Yes (redone head, cleaned up engine bay, etc) along with pointing out rarity and how hard it was to finds similar replacement...

Sweet so glad I kept the invoices of everything, hopefully they cover all of that.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Hey guys. This question goes here but i think its bigger than small question.

My Supra doesnt go anywere when warm and hot. The thing is - when warm, the more boost it makes - worst it goes, i do make 8 psi but it feels like i have 130hp max, if i let off and go with 20% throttle it goes ok because boost drops.
When cold (yes i did 1 power run when cold and i feel bad about it but had to test it) it goes just fine with no issues and feels like 8psi should feel like.
i have brand new O2 sensor.

Where to start digging?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Start with codes. Even if light is not on still check.

Then check for boost leaks.

Then start checking for bhg. Compression test , leak down test, block test.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Quick question and I'm not sure if I'm able to do this or not. I rebuilt my 7mgte 20k~ miles ago and need to replace rod bearings and possibly mains too.

Is it possible to pull the crank without pulling the rear timing cover? If not, am I able to run a new MHG without having the block or head surfaced.

No overheating issues whatsoever, just the lower end bearings.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
sheedy126;2076496 said:
Quick question and I'm not sure if I'm able to do this or not. I rebuilt my 7mgte 20k~ miles ago and need to replace rod bearings and possibly mains too.

Is it possible to pull the crank without pulling the rear timing cover? If not, am I able to run a new MHG without having the block or head surfaced.

No overheating issues whatsoever, just the lower end bearings.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
pull motor take everything apart have fun

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Weird question, but are there any tricks to increasing airflow into the car with the windows down? It seems mostly stagnant and I don't have working AC...

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
is it possible that some antifreeze would leak out of overflow tank if i would top up fluid to max capacity in radiator? it happened after engine heat up and happened only once and it wasn't that much that came out. Also temp is normal and thermostat seems to work fine - in cluster gauge is see temp climbing and dropping slightly (i guess when thermostat is opening/closing - this is something new for me though since its first time i have thermostat in my car in 3 years :D)

engine is rebuild with new everything

20160615-130957.sized.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If rad is full and overflow bottle is full, possible. The expansion is about 1-2" in the overflow bottle.

Only one time, no worries. But if it reoccurs, start watching closely. Mine only pushed coolant out under boost. Was just one spot on the head that would allow gas out.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
If I fill my radiator too much, it will definitely pop off. But after that it's fine. I don't have an overflow tank though.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's actually an expansion tank and you should have one. It's not going to cause huge issues but it is therefor an important reason. It prevents you from drawing air into the cooling system.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
hvyman;2076833 said:
You got bhg. 99% sure.

I just swapped engine. This one is built 7M 84mm bore with new everything. block/head prepped, 1.8mm Cometic HG + ARP combo. Still breaking it in so i believe this should not be an issue.

and i just changed radiator cap, the one that i had looked new but i swapped to 1.1bar cap to see if it still leaks - no it doesnt. heats up to 110C though
So might have been the cap.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you don't have an overflow then that's why it was leaking out. You need a overflow. And the cooling system expands and contracts coolant is pushed in to the over flow and sucked out the over flow. Without one you are letting air into the system which is not good.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Yeah guys i know that. Im not the one who wrote about not having overflow tank. I know physics and water expansion when hotter and all that....

Anyway - now im having 1.1bar radiator cap with temp gauge in it. i get max of 110C and its not leaking anymore.