The Small Questions Thread

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Janch;2070872 said:
i would have never thought of this. Although as you said it i remember i changed turbo and wastegate and it happened ever since.
The only reason it came to my mind is that is a huge problem with the BMW 335i and I've been fighting with mine for months. You can generally either shim the arm and it will go away... best way to test is get a screwdriver or something metal(since its hot)and put it on the arm then rev the engine. If the noise is gone when there is pressure one the arm then that is the culprit.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
hvyman;2068498 said:
Dry. If they don't come with anything on them you don't need to grease them.

Main seals go in dry too unless they come from Toyota with grease already applied to them.

I disagree, there are quite a few oil seals from Toyota that come dry but are meant to be greased upon installation, this includes the rear differential side seals:

wdvHAff.png

There are very few if any oil seals on the A70 that should not have grease on them when they're being installed, if they came with grease all the better, but if they don't, most likely you should be putting some grease on them.

WOnY1ul.png

Unless you know the seal is not meant to be greased, I think it's better safe than sorry.

Jeff

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Jeff Lange;2070901 said:
I disagree, there are quite a few oil seals from Toyota that come dry but are meant to be greased upon installation, this includes the rear differential side seals:

wdvHAff.png

There are very few if any oil seals on the A70 that should not have grease on them when they're being installed, if they came with grease all the better, but if they don't, most likely you should be putting some grease on them.

WOnY1ul.png

Unless you know the seal is not meant to be greased, I think it's better safe than sorry.

Jeff

I've had all the seals in dry. No leaks from the main seals after ~1300 miles. Diff seals are holding well too, but only a hundred miles or so. I don't drive the car enough to rack up a lot of miles though.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I'm sure most of the time they'll be fine, and even if it was going to cause an issue, that issue will likely just be reduced life. In other words, the seal will maybe start leaking sooner than it normally would have. Most often you won't notice it for a couple of years at least.

Jeff

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Once upon a time there was a regular on here who would reman a CPS, forget the price but $75.00 or so sounds familiar. Anyone recall who that was, or if they're still around? I've got a CPS I'd like to put back in working order but would rather someone who's experienced with the procedure to handle it. Thanks...

Jul 14, 2014
Sussex County
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting main studs for my 1jz and was wondering if anyone had had a problem with the washers. I've heard that people have issues with the head studs and the washers that come with them and didn't know if that was the same with the mains

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Is it normal to have boost spike on gear change from 8 to 10psi? Its auto supra. Would electronic boost controller solve this? I had manual controller before and still did it. WG is 5mm shimmed, turbo stock ct26. Previous time with different ct26 and different WG same happened just spike was from 10 to 13psi(right into FC)

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Since I've owned the car my brake pedal slowly goes to the floor when light pressure is applied. Heavy pressure doesn't cause the pedal to sink. I bled the brakes and it's definitely better, but still happens sometimes. Bad master cylinder? I don't seem to be losing brake fluid.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
the piston seal may be wearing out. they have rebuild kits I think on Rock Auto for 30$ that might be the non ABS but not sure on the diff

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
looking for the crush washers dimensions, the copper or brass washers on the banjo bolt from the return of the turbo. (It's on the car still) every now and then i see a drip form. Was hoping to pick some up before getting a chance to take the old off, and do it all at once. I live pretty far away from any civilization.

Turbo coolant return banjo washers dimensions.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Very nice, I would assume those are it, nothing else on the turbo that would have those washers.

Awesome I appreciate the find!

It wouldn't hurt to have the extra stuff for the turbo just in case too.
Thank you very much

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
cinderMK3;2073234 said:
Very nice, I would assume those are it, nothing else on the turbo that would have those washers.

Awesome I appreciate the find!

It wouldn't hurt to have the extra stuff for the turbo just in case too.
Thank you very much

Hit up Elmhurst Toyota. They are great to Supra owners, helping them find every little part.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
drogon;2073416 said:
Anyone happen to know the blue book value of a turbo mk3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is for a 92 with 141k miles and all the options minus a sport roof.

10,200 fair value
15,929 excellent value.

These are definitely not at all what people would pay for an mk3 supra however

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
sheedy126;2073417 said:
This is for a 92 with 141k miles and all the options minus a sport roof.

10,200 fair value
15,929 excellent value.

These are definitely not at all what people would pay for an mk3 supra however

Wow that's surprising, I was asking Bc I'm sure my car is gonna be considered a total loss by my insurance due to hail damage, was just curious on what they'd consider its worth. They didn't even look at my daily 99' s10 before telling me it's a total loss Bc of its age. Lucky the car isn't that bad but we had softball sized hail in my town(I wasn't home) when the worst hit. But it was going through roof shingles and ceilings freaking craziest thing I've ever seen.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
From what I understood from my insurance company is they will give me the actual car value of the area, which is very very very low here