The Small Questions Thread

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I believe that is a mystery unused plug...............there is a harness explanation thread with pics somewhere. (Maybe search user 92Teal's threads irc)

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
GC89;2067347 said:
I believe that is a mystery unused plug...............there is a harness explanation thread with pics somewhere. (Maybe search user 92Teal's threads irc)

Appreciate it man, long as I didn't miss anything haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
suprarx7nut;2067132 said:
1. The head should be resurfaced almost always. Unless you know its history and you know it was resurfaced recently (a few thousand miles or a few months of usage) you should plan on a resurface. The TSRM calls out flatness specs, but says to replace the head once it's at that point. The only reason not to resurface is if you're afraid the head is already shaved too much. I can't see any spec called out in the TSRM.

2. Yes, generally the measurement is from the head gasket surface to the valve cover gasket surface.

Thank you!

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
I'm wanting to recirculate my hks ssqv I got the 1" hose adapter but my intake pipe has a 3/8 barb. Anyone know of a 1"-3/8" hose I can use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300K91T

May 28, 2013
IL
RE: Ignition Switch Options?
Has anyone identified alternative IG SW options for the Supra? Stock item is no longer available from Toyota for a 91 Turbo. I know there have been some other parts from a Camry that can be used but have never seen anything referenced for an ignition switch. Ideas?

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Are axle seals on the diff supposed to go in dry or with grease in the inside lip? I'm getting conflicting results with main seals. Apparently newer Teflon ones go in dry, but others don't.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dry. If they don't come with anything on them you don't need to grease them.

Main seals go in dry too unless they come from Toyota with grease already applied to them.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
hvyman;2068498 said:
Dry. If they don't come with anything on them you don't need to grease them.

Main seals go in dry too unless they come from Toyota with grease already applied to them.

Thanks! That makes me feel better about installing my main seals dry.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For what engine.

Need to have the corresponding dipstick tube for the engine and sump that your using. I.e. A front sump 1jz will not bolt up to a rear sump. And 1jz and 2jz are different

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
hvyman;2069124 said:
For what engine.

Need to have the corresponding dipstick tube for the engine and sump that your using. I.e. A front sump 1jz will not bolt up to a rear sump. And 1jz and 2jz are different

Whoops, sorry. Rear sump 1jz. I had to convert from front sump and the dipstick never fit right. I am using the correct dipstick, but I think I'm missing a bracket.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
When using a standalone ecu and controlling the factory 7mgte IAC, is it necessary to route the valve back into the turbo intake tube as done in the factory setup?

Or would it do me just as good to run a small breather filter on the valve itself. Similar in size to a small breather that would go onto a pvc vent

I'm trying to run as little tubing as I need to, to clean up the engine bay

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Janch;2070706 said:
guys. how much would FULL R154 mk3 supra swap worth out of 1991 with 75k miles on clock?
I've seen just the bare transmission, no slave cylinder/flywheel /pp/or clutch for 1000$. Some lately have been posted for 1200$. I sold mine last year for 7or800 if I remember right.

I'd say you would be in the 1000$ range if you find the right person. Just my opinion though with what I've seen for sale on the Facebook for sale pages

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
sheedy126;2069184 said:
When using a standalone ecu and controlling the factory 7mgte IAC, is it necessary to route the valve back into the turbo intake tube as done in the factory setup?

Or would it do me just as good to run a small breather filter on the valve itself. Similar in size to a small breather that would go onto a pvc vent

On my 1JZ, I slapped a breather filter right onto the IAC when I converted to single turbo. Haven't had issues. Can't speak for the 7MGTE specifically though. Driftmotion sells a small K&N breather that will fit.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
rhs;2070775 said:
On my 1JZ, I slapped a breather filter right onto the IAC when I converted to single turbo. Haven't had issues. Can't speak for the 7MGTE specifically though. Driftmotion sells a small K&N breather that will fit.
I did that with my 1jz and the breather was a entry point for very hot engine bay air, idle would get very lean after idling for long in heavy traffic. Instead of playing with the MAT table in tunerstudio I just rerouted the IAC back to the intake and it made everything simpler.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
sheedy126;2070712 said:
I've seen just the bare transmission, no slave cylinder/flywheel /pp/or clutch for 1000$. Some lately have been posted for 1200$. I sold mine last year for 7or800 if I remember right.

I'd say you would be in the 1000$ range if you find the right person. Just my opinion though with what I've seen for sale on the Facebook for sale pages

thx it helped. i might have chance to get whole car for ~1000eur. i dont think its worth to build it up again but would be perfect parts car.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Hey.

Please someone take a minute and listen to this rattle. Maybe you've heard it before and know what it is. it comes on at around 3250rpm and i think it comes from turbo but what could it be? i have no idea.

[video]https://youtu.be/Kp1-jk38Bu8[/video]

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
sheedy126;2069184 said:

No just put a air filter on the nipple. It doesn't need the hose since the engine is no longer MAF based. I bought a $10 filter from autozone(link )and bored it out slightly with a drill and it fit perfectly. I will say when I had the hood up and started the car cold that little filter was louder than the 3" exhaust haha.

Janch;2070861 said:
Hey.
Please someone take a minute and listen to this rattle. Maybe you've heard it before and know what it is. it comes on at around 3250rpm and i think it comes from turbo but what could it be? i have no idea.

[video]https://youtu.be/Kp1-jk38Bu8[/video]
Sounds like the wastegate arm is rattling.

Last edited:

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
ask92;2070863 said:
Sounds like the wastegate arm is rattling.

i would have never thought of this. Although as you said it i remember i changed turbo and wastegate and it happened ever since.