The Small Questions Thread

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Is there a difference between NA TPS and GTE TPS? Or is it just the years? I have the newer TPS on my NA TB and the old one on the GTE TB, using the 90+ grey plug harness. Which should I use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
one the prongs go up and down and the other go left and right. use which ever one your tb has. no difference between turbo and na.

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
Anybody know a spray paint that matches the grey interior of a 91 turbo. It came with leather and i tried a charcoal grey vinyl paint but its a bit too light which makes me think i have a shadow grey interior not really sure how to confirm this. Found some duplicolor but they are a metallic finish.

reddragon27

May 30, 2011
florida
I got my block and head back from the machinst and he took the oil squiters and the banjo bolts out of my motor. He claimed he gave back to me i do not have them in my stuff i got back. I work for toyota as a tech and talked too my parts manager today and they are a discontinued item not the bolts but the squiters themselves. Does any one know were i can get them from in new condtion and if the 1jz or 2jz squiters will work and if there any gained benifets from using them or if thats a bad idea. P.S sorry about the long post just trying to figure out what i can do.

reddragon27

May 30, 2011
florida
Check your vin plate on your driver side door if it is still there mine on my car reads ad follows C-TR 206 fh12 the 206 reffers to the color of the car and the fh 12 feffers to the interoir color

stevies3

Sep 24, 2014
www.facebook.com
So i bought a 7m in good condition from a friend but its all stock but the motor has been rebuilt a few years back, so im trying to get 500hp or close to it so far my list is
- walbro 255lph (bought)
- 3' straight pipe
- uego wideband
- maft pro
- sp61gt turbo
- 550cc rc injectors
Is there anything im forgetting im sure there is so let me know what it is thx guys!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
IMG_20150423_211057.jpg

So I picked up some rims and battery tray/tie down from powder coating, and Uhm, is this not a Mk3 tie down, or is that battery just 20mm shorter?

Time to cut up my spare...

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
is it possible for the front knock sensor to leak coolant?.. i've almost torn the whole top end apart to find a coolant leak.. so far nothing from any hoses. the head should be off this weekend.. or could coolant just leak out of the head gasket and down the block?

and.. any one ever buy a timing belt kit on ebay? fairly inexpensive, but they all seem to look like any other kit out there.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
cinderMK3;2046527 said:
Anyone know the Proper Length of the 7mgte Dip stick?

The length of the holder from the block to the tip before the handle is just just under 17" and the actual dipstick...
a97b4a387eff856994d9f94e4dcb144d.jpg

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
hvyman;2046324 said:
one the prongs go up and down and the other go left and right. use which ever one your tb has. no difference between turbo and na.

Thanks Hvyman! Got confused for a bit but after toying with both I figured it out ha. Got the right TPS on the TB and "calibrated" per TSRM here's what I got(noob with a DMM)
*VTA-E2(.2-1.2k) = 646ohms(no feeler gauge)
*IDL-E2(2.3k or less) = 34.5ohms(.5mm)
IDL-E2(infinite) = OL (.9mm)
VTA-E2(3.5-10.3k)= 4.83k ohms(WOT)
VC-E2(4.25-8.25k) = 6.93k ohms(WOT)

*= not 100% sure I'm within specs? Also wondering if doing it this way would affect calibration as its a pita to connect the actual pins without them touching each other had a JDM junk harness so I just used the pigtail
b252a2701e98dce2995662592cf567ee.jpg

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
So I'm stumped, I opted to keep the NA valve covers for looks. But I went to put the linkage from the gte but it hits the nipple on the top of the cam cover. Can I just use the NA throttle linkage? Or do I really need to switch back over to the gte covers?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
#04;2046477 said:
View attachment 75997

So I picked up some rims and battery tray/tie down from powder coating, and Uhm, is this not a Mk3 tie down, or is that battery just 20mm shorter?

Time to cut up my spare...

IIRC the tie down does not bolt to the rad support like that. It should have two long threaded rods for each side.

EDIT: nevermind, looks like your odyssey is just short.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
GC89;2047205 said:
IIRC the tie down does not bolt to the rad support like that. It should have two long threaded rods for each side.

EDIT: nevermind, looks like your odyssey is just short.

Nope, one side on the rad support (flat woth 10 mm bolt and washer I believe) and other side long hook screw with nut on top going through hole on the bar, it has two L brackets to hold the battery which should be sitting on a plastic tray to prevent corrosion.

The one in the photo has a short bar for some odd reason. I will post up a pic of mine tomorrow

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Hey guys. Maybe not the best place to ask, but:

My 1jz-gte from a Chaser has a check engine light hooked up to it but the thing is on constantly even when I have TE1 and E1 jumpered to read the codes - it doesnt blink. Previously we WERE able to get a code 12 and 14 out of it, but not anymore. Has anyone had an ecu fail and do this, or does it have a diagnostic meaning that its seemingly stuck on?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
more info on the above: I cleared the ecu and the light went off. Starting the car made it come back on, and again grounding Te1 is not making the light blink as expected.

Another thing I wanted to ask on here is:
Do my cams gears look like they might be off a tooth? (Possible from when I swapped water pumps.)

IMG_20150502_144954_834.jpg

IMG_20150502_145037_954.jpg

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I went and bought a new "J-hook" and nut, and positive cover/insulator,

The tray was drilled free of its spot welds and powder coated, installed by welding nuts where the spot weld holes were. Then plastic tray.

I got out the ol double metric tape measure and sure enough, that battery is 10-12mm narrow and 20mm short, sonofabitch right?

Grandavi;2047229 said:
Nope, one side on the rad support (flat woth 10 mm bolt and washer I believe) and other side long hook screw with nut on top going through hole on the bar, it has two L brackets to hold the battery which should be sitting on a plastic tray to prevent corrosion.

The one in the photo has a short bar for some odd reason. I will post up a pic of mine tomorrow