The Small Questions Thread

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Depends on a lot of things.
Did coolant enter the oil or did you drive with the BHG?
Contaminated oil can teak out bearings.

Usually if you catch it in time everything is fine. The 7m is a strong runner.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I've been driving with it for almost 6 thousand miles now. It burns coolant, runs very hot if I drive during mid day, and pushes coolant out the over flow. Oil and coolant have not mixed yet. I think its a small leak now. This has been happening more recently where if i start the car after sitting overnight it will misfire and run rough for a few seconds like one of the cylinders was filled with coolant. Other than that it runs pretty good in cool weather. I'm trying to get it into a shop to get a block test done but I never have time cause of my work schedule.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Austin2048;1970348 said:
I've been driving with it for almost 6 thousand miles now. It burns coolant, runs very hot if I drive during mid day, and pushes coolant out the over flow. Oil and coolant have not mixed yet. I think its a small leak now. This has been happening more recently where if i start the car after sitting overnight it will misfire and run rough for a few seconds like one of the cylinders was filled with coolant. Other than that it runs pretty good in cool weather. I'm trying to get it into a shop to get a block test done but I never have time cause of my work schedule.

You need another car... Go find one for 500 bucks and save yourself a few thousand dollars if you plan on keeping your Supra. 6k miles on a bhg from the time you noticed is killing your block and I find it hard to believe there is none in the oil if its pushing it out the overflow...

The coolant and exhaust gases mix and become corrosive... Pitting your block. Hopefully it's not too bad yet.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Grandavi;1970557 said:
You need another car... Go find one for 500 bucks and save yourself a few thousand dollars if you plan on keeping your Supra. 6k miles on a bhg from the time you noticed is killing your block and I find it hard to believe there is none in the oil if its pushing it out the overflow...

The coolant and exhaust gases mix and become corrosive... Pitting your block. Hopefully it's not too bad yet.

This^^^ a $500 car will still be a $500 car in a Year if you decide to sell it

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I wish I had 500 dollars... well if everything goes alright my dad will be towing my Supra to Maryland and ill be working with him hopefully so I can park the Supra till I have money saved up. I actually found a 7mge for sale in MD for 350 bucks. Claimed to be low miles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The problem with a Supra is that its 25'ish years old. You can't expect to drive it without doing a few repairs and in general they aren't quick or cheap.

That's why most people will have a daily driver that ISNT a Supra. Then your not relying on an old car to get you where you need to go. I personally bought a truck because I can use it to haul parts for my Supra and leave my car sit for long periods of time without affecting my lifestyle.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Austin2048;1970620 said:
I wish I had 500 dollars... well if everything goes alright my dad will be towing my Supra to Maryland and ill be working with him hopefully so I can park the Supra till I have money saved up. I actually found a 7mge for sale in MD for 350 bucks. Claimed to be low miles

Then a Mk3 Supra is 100% the wrong car for you....

Better to cut your losses and get out of it now.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
That would be a plus of moving to MD. I wouldn't have to drive the car through a Wisconsin winter and I could park her and save up money for her and a beater

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
What's the part that goes into the transmission by the slave cylinder? I'm leaking tranny oil from there and need to know what needs to be replaced to stop it.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
couple quick questions; car is an 1987, wilwood fronts/stock rears, 17/16 BMC

1.)brake fluid suggestions anyone? DOT3 FORD ABS?

2.)longer wheel studs? pretty sure my rims don't allow enough thread engaugement, since stock has that extra shoulder that sits inside the wheel. recommendations?
I used ARP camaro studs on my other car, and am satisfied with them.

I'll also have some misc. elec. plug photo's/questions coming soon...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
also;

3.) Power steering fluid? type? amount?

4.)Clutch master, same fluid as brake system will be fine? (awaiting recommendations)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I just use regular Valvoline synthetic brake fluid for my clutch and brake. Its DOT4 I believe and is sold at autozone, etc.

For power steering I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and added a Magnefine filter in the return line to the reservoir.