The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I've rented a Gen 3 Glock 23 with RTF and I loved it. I like the Gen 4 grip even more, so I'm pretty confident I'd love it. I'd shoot an FN if I could, but there's only one shooting range in the area and it only rents Glocks, Rugers and FDs. I've also yet to see anyone go to the range with an FN, so I've been completely out of luck there. I think I'm leaning towards the Glock now, if nothing else just because of the endless reputation and support for it. Pics when I get it. :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Finished up an AR-10 SPR for a friend:

AR-10 SPR 01.jpg

AR-10 SPR 02.jpg

Specs:
- Custom Lothar-Walther 20" stainless barrel, 1-10 twist polyangle rifled, 7.62 Match chamber (specifically head spaced to bolt), SASS selective gas system w/ Vortex flash hider
- PRI carbon fiber forestock with full length Swan Sleeve. PRI tactical charging handle
- MagPul PRS stock, XH stainless/tungsten buffer and MADI grip
- Bolt carrier, bolt, and hammer boron nitrite coated
- Upper, lower, flash hider, and all controls coated with Cerekote H series – Sniper Grey and Graphite Black
- PRI hooded front rail mounted sight, ARMS #40L-P rear sight

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jdub;1620516 said:
Finished up an AR-10 SPR for a friend:

[noparse]
AR-10 SPR 01.jpg

AR-10 SPR 02.jpg
[/noparse]

Specs:
- Custom Lothar-Walther 20" stainless barrel, 1-10 twist polyangle rifled, 7.62 Match chamber (specifically head spaced to bolt), SASS selective gas system w/ Vortex flash hider
- PRI carbon fiber forestock with full length Swan Sleeve. PRI tactical charging handle
- MagPul PRS stock, XH stainless/tungsten buffer and MADI grip
- Bolt carrier, bolt, and hammer boron nitrite coated
- Upper, lower, flash hider, and all controls coated with Cerekote H series – Sniper Grey and Graphite Black
- PRI hooded front rail mounted sight, ARMS #40L-P rear sight

What's the cost on one of these? I've been looking at rifles like this also, 7.62 rounds is what I'm feeling. 5.56 is just to small.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dachande;1620562 said:
Looks awesome, other than the shitty bipod which I assume was used for pics.

Exactly correct - a far nicer bipod will be put on at a later date.

SupraMario;1620634 said:
What's the cost on one of these? I've been looking at rifles like this also, 7.62 rounds is what I'm feeling. 5.56 is just to small.

Retail cost for this gun is $3500 - I was able to knock off a bit for various discounts. This is a retail AR-10 that is closest to it:
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.as...Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776

This one I built has several significant upgrades - PRI CF free float forestock, custom barrel optimized for 168-175 gr bullets and to fit the selective gas system to the forestock, "Swan Sleeve" top rail (ties upper to forestock making it as one unit), back-up front/rear sights, boron nitrite coating, and the Cerekote finish. None are on the Armalite Super SASS and this rifle has the same gas system.
This rifle is capable of sub-MOA out past 800 yards (with proper optics of course) and is optimized for a suppressor. ;)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Put 100 rounds through a beretta 92fs today. I think I finally found a winner! Going to the gun store on tuesday again, I hope they still have that used 92fs.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Shot up a car door and qrter panel that a friend had laying around from an accident... .22lr rounds would suck to get hit with... I don't even wanna know what it would be like to get hit with anything larger.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I actually plan on using a bravo company bolt as it's "m16" and it's the company that supplies the most the military:)

it's a 16" barrel and I'll be using a 13" handguard with quad rail....I have magpul mbus front and rear....you won't be able to see the gas block when finished.

Parts:
bravo upper
bravo charge handle
spikes st2 buffer assembly (tungsun powder filled buffer)
caa cbs16 stock
magpul back up sights
spikes enhanced lower parts kit
aero precision lower
Yankee hill machine barrel
Yankee hill flash/comp
Yankee hill low pro gas block

just finished lapping the upper reciever for perfect barrel alignment....did a mild trigger job.

I may go with spikes tactical nickel boron bolt group but it's $225....may be overkill but the gun will run with little to no lube:)

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

Just took a look at the young bolt....nice bolt but overkill for a carbine:-(. If I was building a precision rifle I'd like that bolt!

Spikes
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/ind...ducts_id=388&zenid=6ge9esg176injiqivvm6nvjlp7

BCM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-ionbond-p/bcm bcg auto ib.htm

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Bravo Company does not supply bolt carrier groups to the military, FN has the current contract....full weapons and replacement parts. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to the bolt/carrier...rifle or carbine.

All of my bolt carriers, bolts, and hammers are nickel boron plated - I acquired the ability to plate them myself. To get the full benefit, the hammer needs to be coated as well. The gun will run dry, but it still need to be lubed...you just don't need as much for 100% reliability. I've been getting Young bolts/carriers from Dan that are bare metal, chrome lined for the bolt and plating to 0.001" thickness...he is located in Phoenix after all. Been to his facility many times. The std phosphate coated bolt carrier is the same one as the std chrome (NM - different story)...at $155 it's pretty reasonable and is superior to an FN, Spikes or Bravo Company bolt IMO.

I like using PRI gas block, flip up sight combos myself - they're not cheap. PRI rail mount for a long forestock carbine. I like the full hood on the PRI - creates a ghost ring effect for rapid target acquisition.

Here's an AR-10 I built that is similar to what you are doing:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-Gun-Thread.&p=1584157&viewfull=1#post1584157

It's sporting a Trijicon ACOG TA11 w/horseshoe reticle calibrated for 7.62 now.

Been building/mod'ing these guns for over 25 years ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.