The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Poodles said:
M1's are great rifles (except if you don't get your thumb out of the way fast enough or you don't do it right)

you can get actual war ones that are pretty nice, but you have to make sure the barrel isn't worn out...

More info on this thumb thing...

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
M1 carbine and M1 garands are different guns. He is talking about the m1 garand and how the bolt can hurt your thumb when you fully insert the clip into the internal magazine. I think he is a little confused on which gun you want to buy.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
NastyNate said:
Are you geting a savage through him or one of his other rigs?

nope...here's the list for my custom rig:

Commercial mauser action trued and squared with all steel hinged floor plate
Lawton 22 inch heavy barrel .875 to .902 at muzzle(we can work details later)
Bell and Carlson stock with aluminum bedding and custom barrel channel
Birdsong finish(black or green t or a combination)
1913 scope rail
TPS tactical bases
trigger at 3lb
Saddle cheek piece
1/2 MOA guarantee

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Dachande said:
M1 carbine and M1 garands are different guns. He is talking about the m1 garand and how the bolt can hurt your thumb when you fully insert the clip into the internal magazine. I think he is a little confused on which gun you want to buy.

Kinda what I figured. I'm definitely wanting a Carbine, wouldn't mind getting a Garand as well but not what I'm in the market for right now.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ack, it was late...

my bad

but the M1 garand won't catch your thumb unless you're an idiot to tell you the truth...

the M1 carbine isn't really worth it IMHO, it fires weak ammo and isn't as accurate. think of it as a pistol with a long barrel and stock and that's what you get...

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
Clueless said:
nope...here's the list for my custom rig:

Commercial mauser action trued and squared with all steel hinged floor plate
Lawton 22 inch heavy barrel .875 to .902 at muzzle(we can work details later)
Bell and Carlson stock with aluminum bedding and custom barrel channel
Birdsong finish(black or green t or a combination)
1913 scope rail
TPS tactical bases
trigger at 3lb
Saddle cheek piece
1/2 MOA guarantee

good package you got there. Any idea on what type of glass you're gonna throw at on that thing?

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
NastyNate said:
good package you got there. Any idea on what type of glass you're gonna throw at on that thing?

the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M2 Illuminated TMR looks pretty tight, but might get the non-MD version and save some cash on that.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Poodles said:
ack, it was late...

my bad

but the M1 garand won't catch your thumb unless you're an idiot to tell you the truth...

the M1 carbine isn't really worth it IMHO, it fires weak ammo and isn't as accurate. think of it as a pistol with a long barrel and stock and that's what you get...

The Garand will catch anyone not paying attention. Trust me :3d_frown:

The carbine does fire a hopped-up pistol cartridge, but it isn't a bad gun. Great fun to shoot, simple and light. Great for beginners or people who aren't into recoil.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I bought me a Weatherby 7mm Magnum and shot 37 rounds thru it on Sunday, fun shooting. I shot most of those rounds with my elbows resting on the table, but I fire 3 rounds with some borrowed sandbags. I bet you can't guess which 3 shots are from using the sandbags....

p781530_1.jpg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Practice your breathing, and it will tighten up your elbow rest shots. (And anytime you shoot standing up, or even kneeling down etc.)

Take two deep breaths, then a third, and only let it out half way, then stop... concentrate on not moving, and your shot groups will be better.

There is talk of even timing your shot to your heart beat, as the artery in your shoulder causes the rifle to move to the pumping action.. that's when your trying to make one hole in the paper, at a few hundred yards... :)

Also try the following.
Don't drink caffine. (it makes you shake.)
Water is best, and you have to have quite a bit of it. Lack of hydration can bring on the shakes too.
Eat right. Balanced diet helps to avoid the shakes. (ask anyone low on sugar.)
Sleep well before you shoot. Tired shooters are shitty shooters.
No booze. Goes without saying.
Practice, then practice some more :)

Have fun, anyone is capable of great shooting with some training, but there are some who are just naturals at this, and they shoot great from the start, but with training, become amazing shots.

I'm not one of them... ;(

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Those aren't bad Clueless. I got to shoot a friend's .308 a few times for the first time last week. The 3 shots circled in yellow were mine, and the others were from another friend shooting it for the first time as well. (100yards with surplus ammo)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Adjuster said:
Practice your breathing, and it will tighten up your elbow rest shots. (And anytime you shoot standing up, or even kneeling down etc.)

Take two deep breaths, then a third, and only let it out half way, then stop... concentrate on not moving, and your shot groups will be better.

There is talk of even timing your shot to your heart beat, as the artery in your shoulder causes the rifle to move to the pumping action.. that's when your trying to make one hole in the paper, at a few hundred yards... :)

Also try the following.
Don't drink caffine. (it makes you shake.)
Water is best, and you have to have quite a bit of it. Lack of hydration can bring on the shakes too.
Eat right. Balanced diet helps to avoid the shakes. (ask anyone low on sugar.)
Sleep well before you shoot. Tired shooters are shitty shooters.
No booze. Goes without saying.
Practice, then practice some more :)

Have fun, anyone is capable of great shooting with some training, but there are some who are just naturals at this, and they shoot great from the start, but with training, become amazing shots.

I'm not one of them... ;(

That's some good advice... :icon_bigg

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Dachande said:
Those aren't bad Clueless. I got to shoot a friend's .308 a few times for the first time last week. The 3 shots circled in yellow were mine, and the others were from another friend shooting it for the first time as well. (100yards with surplus ammo)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Nice shot...Although I'm wondering, are you resting on your elbows or some kind of fixed object?

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Here is my Boom! stick :evil2:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bushmaster Lower
Alexander Arms 16'' .50 Beowulf upper
Magpul PRS stock

I have to wait for Alexander Arms to send me my bullets, it sucks because as of right know they are the only people I can buy them from. When I do i'll post up some paper!

Status
Not open for further replies.