The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Yes Poodles, and I like that they are just a short drive away in Utah. :)

So, with this type of accuracy possible, why do you need the 700? :)
http://www.robarm.com/images/Customer Images/Suppressed-XCR-008.gif

This is what made those holes.. :)
http://www.robarm.com/images/Customer Images/Suppressed-XCR-005.gif

Of course, if your shooting stuff out past 50 yards, I suppose that group might grow into a few inches.. SO then again, the 700 or another bolt action type rifle would be more accurate in most cases... Depending on the rifle, and the shooter.

Here is the 7.62 X 39 that I'm interested in.
http://www.robarm.com/images/Customer Images/7.62x39mm-XCR.gif

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
NastyNate said:
Well my wife went into cunt mode and cut me off from getting the AR. I'm so pissed... oh well.

The m700 is a great rifle. I loved mine. BUT if you want out of the box performance check out the Savage line of rifles. Their law enforcement rifles, which are also available to the public, usually come shooting 1/2 moa or less out of the box. Which is a lot better than your average shooter is going to be able to do.
Salvage, huh? Website?

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
Adjuster, that's a nice group but the M700 would be better at that range. Hell I was able to get 1/2 moa at 100 yds. That was also with an unbroken in barrel, crappy hunting ammo, and a bit of left to right wind. After I started shooting match ammo, that tightened up the groups a bit more. Handloads probably would have improved this further. And shooting 1/2 moa at 100 yds it's possible to get 10 inch groups at 1000.
I wish I still had my old targets.

Clueless www.savagearms.com/le_home.htm If you want even more info on them check out snipercentral.com and search for a man anmed MLammers. He can build you a mean savage. I was going to originally get one of his but got such a good deal on the M700 I ended up with that.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
NastyNate said:
Adjuster, that's a nice group but the M700 would be better at that range. Hell I was able to get 1/2 moa at 100 yds. That was also with an unbroken in barrel, crappy hunting ammo, and a bit of left to right wind. After I started shooting match ammo, that tightened up the groups a bit more. Handloads probably would have improved this further. And shooting 1/2 moa at 100 yds it's possible to get 10 inch groups at 1000.
I wish I still had my old targets.

Clueless www.savagearms.com/le_home.htm If you want even more info on them check out snipercentral.com and search for a man anmed MLammers. He can build you a mean savage. I was going to originally get one of his but got such a good deal on the M700 I ended up with that.
what does he prices his work at?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
For an autoloading machine gun, that group at 50 yards in the 1/2" hole is more than pretty good. It's dang good. :)

If I could only have one weapon, that would be my choice. Dead nuts reliable, and accurate to ranges that sniper rifles drool at. :)

All in an assult rifle. Not too shabby.

BTW, nice bolt action the M700. :) But try and take out 5 targets that are 200 meters away with it... You can do that with the XCR. And if you practice, you should get some of them out of the gun before the first few bullets hit the marks. :) (Editied this, the ammo used would not be very effective at ranges over 200 meters, but you could most likely hit the target further... )

They do make XCR's in larger caliber's however. And they are going to be just as accurate. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
robarm's stuff is very hansom...

my short gun list (when I get my own place) is:
-Luger
-M1 Garand
-AK47 (or variant)
-SKS
-SAIGA 12 (yes I like my Kalashnikov's)
-and whatever robarm is making at the time...

Side Notes:
-Desert Eagles jam if you hold the magazine as it's a floating design
-AK-47's where never meant for longer ranges, the Dragunov extended their range along with the RPK in a squad (unlike our original squad layouts).
-AK47 has been in every conflict since it's creation, many times on both sides.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I was considering purchasing an AR15 recently but Ive been too busy buying car parts. On special occasions or extensive road travel I carry a 9mm Springfield XD-90. For serious threats I break out my .22 Marlin rifle.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
yeah but to me 20,000 for a full auto "real" tommy gun is worth it to me, but im a ww2 guy, i love the weaponry used in that era.

and ive probably been playing The godfather a little to much lately lol

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
20k for any full auto machine gun is nuts. And there are PLENTY of them out there for more than that even.

About the lowest cost full auto machine gun I've seen is in the 5K range, and that's for a POS Uzi machine pistol, or some worn out MAC10's. (Not bad weapons, but not very accurate when on full auto, especialy with the MAC10. The Uzi is somewhat more accurate, but not like a MP5 or other designs out there.) Of course, the MP5 will run you 20k again.... :(

Many years ago. we used to have competions at the sand dunes with 1022 rifles.
We would setup a coffee can, or similar target about 1/2 way up a dune, about at the end of the range where the .22 bullets would even go through the thin metal.

Then it was can you empty 10 rounds out of the rifle before the first round hits the dune, and how many hits on the can in that burst? Just the bullet drop alone made it insane! You would sight on the can, then shoot one round, then slight down, and see how low the bullet hit. Then gauge that, and sight up and rip off the other 9 rounds into "nothing" then lower the sight to the can, and see if you guessed right...

Oh, try it! IT's freaking additive! Next comes milk jugs full of water.. And anything else you can find. Once you get pretty good, you can get all 10 rounds into the target, that you could not even see when you fired the rounds, and drop the scope back on target as the last few rounds hit..

A good spoting scope is nice to have at times like this, as is a nice pickup bedside to use as your range platform.. (Just don't accidently put any rounds into the other side of the bed!)

Not the most friendly, but a great target non-the-less, is used tube lights. (You know, the 8' long ones... Just stick them into the sand, and it's GAME ON!) Especially if you cross them... into large XXXX targets.. The point being, to sight in, and hit BOTH tubes with one round. Not easy with a .22 at perhaps ranges into the 400+ yards, or more. Easy with my .223 Bushmaster, but totally a challange with the 1022, even with the CF barrel, and Houge stock.

:) Try it, you'll have a great time. And there is no clean up on light tubes.. they just shatter into pretty much nothing. (I suppose if someone is walking barefoot on the dunes outside St. Anthony, ID, and cuts their foot on broken glass, it could be from a tube I shot 18 years ago there, but I doubt it. Those dunes move quite a bit, and anything is constantly being covered and uncovered by the moving sand dunes.) Same goes for the dunes at Moses Lake, WA.... More long range carnage!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
jesse, you can get an ak for about $200-$300. itll be semi auto but there's plenty you can do to change that.

one guy was up at the range the other day when we went and he had a thompson from '72, still in the original box with four magazines plus a drum mag. It was standard FBI issue back then and he got it for around 5000 in the early '80s. now they're going for $15-20k like you said.

He also had a MAC11 that had some serious work into it. he had a bull barrel fitted and threaded for a suppressor, red dot sight, retractable stock and a whole host of mods i can't remember.

fun stuff. the thompson felt good sending those .45s downrange on full auto, but the mac11 was a little more consistent (chambered in 9mm)

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I still need to find me a good old shotgun... :runaway: ....but I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Losok rifle build I've been planning on, no I just gotta come up with half up front and other half when completed.

A

ArthurRitus

i want a gun, especially because my fiancee saw that movie "the brave one". too bad im not old enough for a permit yet

Status
Not open for further replies.