The best A70 trainwrecks.

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
Sir Smokesalot;960564 said:
its definatly different looking. It looks well done and relatively acceptable as trainwrecks go. the rear end with the that Ferrari badge makes me giggle however.

Yeah, its actually well put together. But it's a wannabe Ferrari

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Kristian_Wraae;960156 said:
It is actually for sale in Germany at the moment:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...RED&customerIdsAsString=&lang=de&pageNumber=3
06ef_19.jpg

Daamn... fucking love this car w/o the ferarri bs.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
namkiii;960971 said:
the white supra with the green flames with the lt1 id from texas i saw it at the race track didnt go faster than a 16.2

Ouch... was a whole lot faster than that on the street....

Did he spin down the whole track or something?

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
mischief7m;962217 said:
i guess some people forgot that its the MR2 thats the "poor mans ferrari," leave our supras out of it haha

i thought it was the fiero.:icon_bigg
i've seen tons of those kit cars around

Oct 2, 2006
Denver
Here are consistancies that I keep seeing between all of these cars, along with my analogy as to why none of it works;

First, I would like to add that function is more important than fashion when modifying any car. When manufacturers hire design team members, they go through years of schooling to get there and generally speaking, they know what they are doing and more importantly, why. Keep that in mind when considering the following.

- headlight and taillight units from other makes/ models:

When you use a light fixture from another vehicle, although the part may look good on the original make/ model, does not mean it fits in with any other car. That doesn't mean it can't be done tastefully. It just means that you should have some level of education on the subject before attempting it yourself.

The 300zx headlights, beamer grilles and Accord taillights on the blue car towards the beginning are a perfect example of that.

I think that you can tastefully have exposed headlights on an MKIII, but you should be sure that the units used match other body lines. The 300zx lights look good, except that they do not match the curvature of the fender, hood or bumper in the slightest.

- vents of all shapes and sizes:

Don't bother with anything other than ducting for an IC and intake air. Nothing screams idiot on a car louder than disfunctional vents. I also have a peave with different shapes of vents on a car. If you want to go with naca, stick with naca ducts everywhere,etc and only do it where you NEED it.

- aircraft landing gear spoilers (on some):

As much as you'd like your car to feel like a racecar, you will NEVER see the likes of speed needed to make an abomination like that functional. If and when you do, you'd better hope that your tires and suspension are up to par as well as the rest of the aerodynamics on the vehicle, and the spoiler had better be fastened and braced to something a hell of a lot stronger than your deck lid sheetmetal. I won't even go into rear spoilers on a FWD car.

- wheels from other makes/ models:

Most importantly, these wheels, weather they were farmed out by another manufacturer, such as enkei, kelsey hayes, etc. or made by the manufacturer of the car they are intended for, they were designed to take the loads of that car's weight, suspension and body roll. Any time you change your wheels without researching the load capacities of the lug shoulders, rims, centers, backspacing, etc. you run the risk of damaging a wheel and consiquently, whatever else it takes it's toll on.

How a wheel looks should be secondary to functionality, in my opinion.

- wide body kits:

These can look fucking gorgeous on an MKIII if done tastefully. If you look at the body lines on an MKIII, they have a bit of a coke bottle shape in them that can be accentuated. wheel flare type kits to accomodate bigger wheels and tires look good too, but they should look symetrical, front to rear.

Just keep in mind that you should moderate how wide you go. Anymore than 2" looks like crap unless you have the mechanical reasoning to necessitate it.

Remember that the designers that made these cars did have clean lines in mind. Redundancy of body lines and very radiused curves do not look right on these cars. They don't have as many curves as an MKIV and that should be taken into consideration when putting anything on these cars.

- paint colors, and/ or schemes that question if there are only three primary colors in a prism color wheel in this universe:

We understand that you want to stand out from the crowd, but you don't need to make it painfully obvious. There are a lot of very tasteful muted colors that look excellent on just about any car. That's not to say that bright colors have no place. Just be sure that if you go with a bright color, understand that it accentuates everything on the car and you might want to tone down any custom work you do on the body of the car. If you are going with a high chroma color, that should be the focal point of the body.

I am a fan of more muted colors on more custom bodywork with any car. Keep it respectful and no matter what you decide to do with the body, do the craftsmanship right.

- exhaust shop pig tubes:

Exhaust is fun. It's always been one of the focal points of any fast car for obvious reasons, but again, can become extremely distasteful quite quickly if overdone in the wrong manner.

I have seen multiple outlet exhaust that looks right on certain cars, but anymore than two tips on an MKIII looks hideous.

Side pipes are a very gray area on these cars. You have to understand that they are somewhat redundant and disfunctional, because of the single exhaust bank of the I6 configuration of the engine. The best exhaust systems for these engines is a large, single exhaust that creates the least amount of turbulence, so if you are willing to sacrifice some function for fashion and go with side pipes, just know this.

Aside from that, again, these cars do not have a lot of curves in them. They pertain to straight lines and slight curves more than anything else, so because of the curved nature of a side pipe, they can look wrong very easily. Yes, other sports cars have them, such as the AC and Shelby Cobra, some Corvettes and some Vipers. They look tasteful on those cars, because they have the curves in their bodies to support a curvey exhaust.

I think the only way a side pipe looks respectful on these cars is if they are rather understated and have rectangular tips.

I actually don't mind seeing a channeled exhaust outlet in a rocker panel on one side, for the sake of functionality, but I still think that a rectangular tip should be used.

I have considered going with custom taillights and even thought about going with fixed, exposed headlights, but if I did that, those would be about the only major changes made in the car and I would have to be careful about what I selected as a replacement.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but rather shed a different light on the subject to help people understand why most of these cars are being seen as a bit of an eyesore.

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@Twister: I'll respectfully disagree with a couple of points, though the primary one being wheels. The kind of stresses that wheels have to take are similar, regardless of make or model. The only major difference is the intensity of the forces, but since energy is equal to mass times velocity squared, the intended handling speed of the car is more important than the mass of the car. Wheels are also part of the overall style of a car, and as such can complement or clash with the rest of the car, so some wheels will look good on another car, say a Toyota A70 chassis, some won't.

For the rest, I agree, the car has an original designer, and as such has an overall coherency to it. To change the look of the car, you must either choose complementary details, or you must take a broad approach and change enough more of the car to match the changes that you make.

Oct 2, 2006
Denver
It looks like my 2nd post was deleted. I don't know why, maybe I had responded to the other post that was deleted? Just for anyone interested, I know that this forum is heavy on post counts, but I could care less about my post count. I've been a member here since 2004 and my membership has been reset, as well as my post count, each time the server was hacked or failed otherwise.

I don't necessarily agree that post count should reflect on someone's credability or reputation, but rather the level of communication with any individual, weather they have one post or several thousand. But regardless of my level of agreement, it's not my forum to moderate and of course I'll respect whatever terms are set here.

Anyway, @ Dan;

I agree. I understand the concepts of G forces, and applied enertia when it comes to wheels. Cars do differ quite a bit in how they handle, but you are right about intended handling speeds being more important. However, body roll affects the load areas of a wheel more than anything and body roll is subject to change not only with the weight of a car, but the weights placement, spring load of suspension, ride height and most importantly, suspension and steering geometry, which drastically changes between cars.

Choosing a wheel isn't nearly as important as other aspects of a cars performance, but there are certain wheel and car combinations that I wouldn't dare use. We bought a '65 Mercury Breezeway that weight about five grand. The guy had put ford probe wheels on it with tiny tires. When I was loading it on to the trailor, I could see a hairline fracture near one of the lug nuts expand and contract as that spoke became loaded differently, when rolling up the ramps. Spooky stuff!

These cars look good with a clean wheel. I understand that the sawblades are strong and have the correct centering, but there are certainly better wheels out there that look and perform better on these cars.