the almighty skyline

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
When I was in New Zealand, I had a friend whose father was the technical manager for Nissan. He got to drive a brand new $90,000 R34 Skyline at times...Gave me ride in it..I was impressed...That car attracts alot of attention...everybody on the road kept looking... But after all the excitement and all I still love my supra better.

Cheers,
Roy

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
I know I could change the settings on the car...but I just prefer the way the RWD cars drive out of the box, w/ minimal tinkering. The only AWD car that seems to drive well w/o tinkering w/ the suspension setups is the Lancer Evolution. I'm not trying to seem like a GT Newb that doesn't understand the physics of the car. I usually end up trying to use someone elses GT-R's that are nowhere near as happy to rotate as a RWD car. RWD FTW!!!!

Reguardless, this is not a Gran Turismo thread....sorry for getting so far off topic. I respect the GT-R's (all generations) and would love to own one someday. I might even settle for a GTS-T model, it'd still be somewhat unique.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Re: the almighty skyline

Nothing like a $90,000 13 second performance car. Or whatever the importer charged for a US conversion.

Holy Mola Mala, for 90K I could make any car do 11 second quarters, including grandma's 70 coupe deville, and 13 is all ya get for 90k? that aint right.......LOL

darkandroid1234

What? ...Yaaassss!
May 10, 2006
Bradenton, FL
suprageezer said:
Re: the almighty skyline

Nothing like a $90,000 13 second performance car. Or whatever the importer charged for a US conversion.

Holy Mola Mala, for 90K I could make any car do 11 second quarters, including grandma's 70 coupe deville, and 13 is all ya get for 90k? that aint right.......LOL

But 1/4 mile isn't everything, you couldn't get grannys caddy to handle like a skyline, or make a caddy with a 6 cylinder do ANY of the above.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
You'd be suprised what two sway bars, decent springs, shocks, and a set of goodyear Eagle F1's can do. Don't think for a second that ole grandmas caddy cant handle, true I doubt the skyline could lose to a set up caddy in handling, BUT there are fifty zillion others cars out there that with the proper setup can chew up and spit out a skyline on the track and at the drags for 50K less. I'll throw a couple out there just for fun, how about a Subaru WRX, or a 3k Supra MKIII with lets say 7k dropped in it performance wise, which equals a whole lot of money left over in your pockets. Just the facts man.
Rick

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Talking about money invested in a car isn't a good arguement. I dare you to tell that to a JZA80 owner or an exotic car owner and see if they care that they coulda bought some old beater A70 or some other old carfor 100 dollars and put a 40k dollar engine in it. Hell, I don't even care.

The Skyline is one of the best cars to come out of Japan, period. It has countless racing victories and has great factory backing from Nismo. Compared to Nismo, TRD didn't do shit for the Supra.

darkandroid1234

What? ...Yaaassss!
May 10, 2006
Bradenton, FL
OneJoeZee said:
Talking about money invested in a car isn't a good arguement. I dare you to tell that to a JZA80 owner or an exotic car owner and see if they care that they coulda bought some old beater A70 or some other old carfor 100 dollars and put a 40k dollar engine in it. Hell, I don't even care.

The Skyline is one of the best cars to come out of Japan, period. It has countless racing victories and has great factory backing from Nismo. Compared to Nismo, TRD didn't do shit for the Supra.
^Yup, What he said.

Rick,
I think that the idea of making any caddy short of a CTS or XLR a car that can "handle" is delusional. If you think a few new suspension components can make a 2+ ton boat that probably wouldn't bite in a corner if it had teeth even COMPETE with today's sports cars, especially AWD, you my friend are toking some serious cheeba. That thing would need to be torn down and every ounce of wieght taken out, coilovers custom made as I doubt there are any serious producers of "performance 70s caddy suspension" out there, a tire with so much gripping force you could drive any other car upside down, and a set of swaybars thicker than my forearm (prety thick). Even then, it'd still be a hulk of unpredictable, oversteering, wasted cash.

And z06's are not that great, now I know why you think a caddy has anything but yachtlike capabilities.

Last edited:

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Dark, my friend ya missed my point and you obviously don’t know much about cars in General. What I was saying was even the little guy with very few dollars can have a car that handles as good as a Skyline and just as fast for much less money. Since most people here fit that category those were the ones I was trying to encourage. Although they may be the owners of a very old low powered import called a Toyota supra, if they wanted they could with much less money get their low budget cars into the class of some of the dreamed of cars like a skyline or mk4. I have in my life owned many cars and trucks and usually the first thing I do to modify them to my liking is sway bars. Shocks and top of the line Goodyear tires. From this experience in actually driving some boats with bars I have learned through experience not wonderment or second hand that any car can handle pretty damn good with the right combination of parts. Notice I said pretty damn well not better than Michael Schumachers F1 car. I remember a car that turned folks perceptions of great cars upside down by taking a 69 Plymouth valiant, sway bars, kybs, Goodyear’s and a stock 360 crate motor and blowing off just about everything it ran against in the one lap around America. You see a car, any car is basically four wheels strapped underneath a sheet metal box, the shape of it doesn’t really matter much until you hit 150mph and up. So with the right amount of power, keeping the body parallel to the ground, and the tires glued to the asphalt any car can handle pretty damn good. In other words a 3k supra and 10k of mods can create a skyline eater. Oh ya one other thing if you don’t know how to drive no amount of money can make you fast.
Go mkIII Supra
Rick

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
One more thing, IF and thats a big IF the Skyline was such an awesome car why is it I don't see anyone with copius amounts of money in the US driving one in the One Lap Of America. Here's a link so you can get a true perception of what the World's REAL awesome street cars are. Dont get me wrong I think Skylines are pertty cool looking cars, but I still tend to lean toward thinking my Supra is also pretty awesome although stock.
Rick

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/index.shtml