the almighty skyline

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprageezer said:
Dark, my friend ya missed my point and you obviously don’t know much about cars in General. What I was saying was even the little guy with very few dollars can have a car that handles as good as a Skyline and just as fast for much less money. Since most people here fit that category those were the ones I was trying to encourage. Although they may be the owners of a very old low powered import called a Toyota supra, if they wanted they could with much less money get their low budget cars into the class of some of the dreamed of cars like a skyline or mk4. I have in my life owned many cars and trucks and usually the first thing I do to modify them to my liking is sway bars. Shocks and top of the line Goodyear tires. From this experience in actually driving some boats with bars I have learned through experience not wonderment or second hand that any car can handle pretty damn good with the right combination of parts. Notice I said pretty damn well not better than Michael Schumachers F1 car. I remember a car that turned folks perceptions of great cars upside down by taking a 69 Plymouth valiant, sway bars, kybs, Goodyear’s and a stock 360 crate motor and blowing off just about everything it ran against in the one lap around America. You see a car, any car is basically four wheels strapped underneath a sheet metal box, the shape of it doesn’t really matter much until you hit 150mph and up. So with the right amount of power, keeping the body parallel to the ground, and the tires glued to the asphalt any car can handle pretty damn good. In other words a 3k supra and 10k of mods can create a skyline eater. Oh ya one other thing if you don’t know how to drive no amount of money can make you fast.
Go mkIII Supra
Rick

You're trying to make the same arguement again and you're also speculating AND making unfair comparisons. A 10k Supra will beat a Skyline? Well, I would hope so. That's a decent amout of money to spend in suspension and the engine. But is the Skyline stock or something? Because if a GTR with 10k in mods was in the race, you might think different. But I'm not gonna speculate like that and say it will definately win.

The point is how much you have to pay for the car isn't a defining characteristic of how good a car is. If you want to talk about a car being better than another car, show lap times, drag time slips, braking times, etc. Leave money out of it. If you had to pick one car to be given to you free of charge(all sentiments aside) would you really pick an A70 over a GTR as a platform for your racing team?

I like my Supra just as much as the next guy, but you won't ever see me trying to bring someone else down who owns a skyline by saying "Well, if I had 10k in mods I'd still be under the price you paid and I'd win." It doesn't work like that. Most people buying a Supra for 3K don't have another 10k dollars to spend anyway.

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprageezer said:
One more thing, IF and thats a big IF the Skyline was such an awesome car why is it I don't see anyone with copius amounts of money in the US driving one in the One Lap Of America. Here's a link so you can get a true perception of what the World's REAL awesome street cars are. Dont get me wrong I think Skylines are pertty cool looking cars, but I still tend to lean toward thinking my Supra is also pretty awesome although stock.
Rick

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/index.shtml

Come on... one lap of AMERICA

There are very few GTRs in the US. It was never sold here! You know that. There are plenty of cars a racing team can use without going through the hassle of getting a GTR to the states.

Same as in Japan. I can do the same thing and say "well if the Z06 is such a great car how come they never use it in the Tsukuba Time Attack?" Why go look for something hard to get when you have other amazing machines that are easily attainable and in large numbers.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
OneJoeZee said:
You're trying to make the same arguement again and you're also speculating AND making unfair comparisons. A 10k Supra will beat a Skyline? Well, I would hope so. That's a decent amout of money to spend in suspension and the engine. But is the Skyline stock or something? Because if a GTR with 10k in mods was in the race, you might think different. But I'm not gonna speculate like that and say it will definately win.

The point is how much you have to pay for the car isn't a defining characteristic of how good a car is. If you want to talk about a car being better than another car, show lap times, drag time slips, braking times, etc. Leave money out of it. If you had to pick one car to be given to you free of charge(all sentiments aside) would you really pick an A70 over a GTR as a platform for your racing team?

I like my Supra just as much as the next guy, but you won't ever see me trying to bring someone else down who owns a skyline by saying "Well, if I had 10k in mods I'd still be under the price you paid and I'd win." It doesn't work like that. Most people buying a Supra for 3K don't have another 10k dollars to spend anyway.

I think, that the price u pay for the car must define how good the car is. Nooone sells you a good car in perf condition for almost nothing. U must pay a good price for Skyline, and you get a really good car, but we know that dealerships (Stock skyline comes like from dealership) charge a lot, and you can do-it-yourself cheaper.
So, Skyline and MA70 are both beautiful, Skyline's price 40k? and Supra's 3k?, so you put 37k in Supe, and you're even with Skyline in price(i guess not performance:icon_razz ). Next we can put equal money in both, and now maby the R34 starts smashing MA70.
Still I'm not disrespecting any Skyline driver, other way around, high respect to all owners of this fine piece of machinery.:naughty:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Price is NOT a determination of how good a gar is. Market value will determine the price of a car but that doesn't mean it's a great performance car.

You're bringing up that same money point with your 3k Supra with 37k in it.

IT'S NOT A GOOD ARGUEMENT. Talk about the performance of the car, not how much it costs.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
You can't get PERFORMANCE without COSTS, nothing is for free. And how is the market value determined then? You don't pay for nothing. Maby what I didn't add is, that a cheap car can be good, but still not as good as a pricy car.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I can't believe this post is still going, why are you comparing the a70 to a GTR when the A70 can't beat a jza80 stock. This post is really just becoming a pissing contest.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
That is what I thought, as I was writing my last message:nono: , sorry for that, maby this thread should be locked?:icon_conf

darkandroid1234

What? ...Yaaassss!
May 10, 2006
Bradenton, FL
Rick,

Let's not make assumptions of my knowledge just because I am at a different standpoint than yourself. I know one lap just about as well as you, and have plenty of expierience in making large cars handle, www.crownvic.net <--- I was an avid member there before my wreck a year ago. Matter of fact they had a one lap car, a Police Interceptor, back in '04-05, it finished within top ten standings in it's class. I just have learned the hard way that you can't make a land yacht compete with the likes of a out of the box racecar. Trust me I've had plenty of first hand expierience getting my ass handed to me by Preludes, and other rice rockets in my Vic, and wondering just WTF was wrong. I learned my lesson, if you wanna play you gotta pay, and I don't make unwise investments, trying to make an autocrosser out of a fucking 2.5 ton luxobarge is like having a big dick with ED, it's there but you can't do much with it. IMO I'll just start with the right tool for the job. I would bet my pink slip that on any circuit in the US, say maybe Road Atlanta (regular one lap track) or maybe Laguna Seca (let's see a caddy on the corkscrew), my stock R32 GTR (had I one) would walk all the way around your 1970 caddy of equal cost, mods or not. Now a properly tuned MKIII Supra, that's a different story, but then again, a Supra is at LEAST another sports car.

:chicken:

For the record I can piss the farthest...

Last edited:

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Dark at least we both have experience that teaches us even boats can handle. Here's my original quote....

Holy Mola Mala, for 90K I could make any car do 11 second quarters, including grandma's 70 coupe deville, and 13 is all ya get for 90k? that aint right

No where did I say a modified caddy could beat a skyline on a road course. I did say for whole lot less I could make a caddy do 11's in the quarter. I did say any car could be made to handle PRETTY DAMN GOOD with bars, shocks, and goodyears. We both love Supras I would imagine, so the point was the cost of the skyline is NOT in line with it's performance even on a road course. There are hundreds of cars built over the years that with minimal modifications can beat that particular skyline on either the road course or drags. Years ago I owned a few Fiats 131's 124's that with the right mods could whoop just about anything on a road course but in the quarter that's a different story although I have seen a 131 that can run with the fastest in the quarter. To me the ultimate dream car is a 98 twin turbo mk4, its got a cockpit that resembles a jet fighter, an inline twin overhead cam engine that properly maintained lasts a long time even when getting beaten on. The best thing about it is it's a Toyota, and with that comes some reliablity. when it comes to cars I always think only a dead fish floats with the current. I like different, fun, and cheap to maintain. For the last time I too think a skyline is an awesome car, I just wouldnt pay that kind of money for that car. As far as the One lap goes, folks with money dont care one way or another that the cars was imported or not. If they car win that race with that car they would make it so.
Rick

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
damn, didn't mean to get everyone stirred up with this. just to get back on topic, i wasn't comparing the mk3 to a skyline, i was just pissing and moaning about all the damn kids that think the skyline is the only good car out there.

now before some of you misread that and think that i said "the skyline is a POS", i state that the skyline is a car that performs like a sports car should, but there are also others.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
yessah, piece of shit is what i was referring to.

or it could be pretty owsome supra, whatever your heart desires.