the almighty skyline

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Ive always liked the Skylines last year my car was pushing 400hp running mid 12s in the 1/4 mile and I got a chance to drive and race my buddys Skyline(GTR) (R32) Its not hype he had basic bolt ons and he was running high 12s the interiors on these cars are very nice and the passenger has tons on room! He killed me on the start but reeled him in after 2nd gear, Here in Canada we can import any car over 15 years old it just has to pass a safety inspection,And the going rate is anywhere from 15-20 K for an R32 which for the amount of car you are getting is cheap.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I think the Skyline is a good car. But how I view it is the same as how I see the MKIV Supra, G35, 350Z, EVO VIII, WRX STi, and Drifting. It's kind of the trend at this moment and you got a whole nation of bandwagon jumpers buying the "poser ticket" to catch this new "express" of automotive popularity. So I kind of view these things as hype right now.

I know I sound like a hater and maybe I am. But deep down inside I know that these are great cars and the drifting style of racing was something that I loved until it hit mainstream. It just bothers me a little that you got all these people coming in to the trend without knowing a whole lot about it.

I also know that not everyone that drives those cars are in it to be popular and appeal to other people. These are people that loves those cars because of the design of the chassis, the looks, the feel, the history behind those cars, and would love it whether it was very fast or not.

So the Skyline doesn't bother me too much but I think that the car is not much better than the Nissan Z32 cars.

It's the MKIV that I kind of being irritated with. When I tell people that I have a Supra I have to verify that mines is a MA70 and make sure they understand what I was taking about. Maybe it is also because people gives so much credibility to the MKIV that it overshadows the A70 Supra. But in the end, I wouldn't change a thing because that is the reason I bought the MA70 Supra. I knew that I loved these cars truly and not because it is the next instyle thing. I love my car not because it is a hype, but because I truly love everything about it design whether people said it was slow or not, heavy or not.

I know that there are MKIV owners out there that are not in it to be "cool" and love it for it's design and understands the history of Supras, but it is just hard to filter out the posers from the real enthusiasts. It is like the Corolla GT-S and the S13, S14 people. I know that there are people who loved those cars and/or owns one before the big trend of the drifting here in the U.S., but it is hard to tell them apart from the rest of the ones that came later. It bothers me sometimes when I see people with the JZA80 (and a few AE86, S13, and S14 (and S14.5) here and there) driving around like they are the best.

I do like the 2jzgtte engines though.

I like the MA70 Supras and I am happy it is not a trend otherwise I wouldn't be here on Supramania with the real Supra fans.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
You're an average A70 owner with a chip on his shoulder because of the A80 Supra and other popular cars. It's ok. There's plenty others like that out there.

Stop caring about your car being validated by others.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Who cares if drifting is a trend...honestly?! Yeah you're gonna have posers, but you're also gonna have a ton of people who's interest is going to be ignited by going out and seeing it/trying it and if that get's them more interested in cars and the car world, then I can give respect to the trend! Besides, posers will be weeded out of drifting REALLY quickly when then wreck their cars, burn their clutches, snap the driveshaft...the list goes on.

That video had me almost in tears, haha the Sup was in last place for far too long...

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
OneJoeZee said:
You're an average A70 owner with a chip on his shoulder because of the A80 Supra and other popular cars. It's ok. There's plenty others like that out there.

Stop caring about your car being validated by others.

Hey, the thread asked what I thought and I am just being honest. And I can assure you that there is nothing average about me, well at least academic wise. But I don't walk around like I am the best.

It's not the cars that bothers me, it is the not real people. Like the ones with 1JZ just because it is JDM .... kiddin':biglaugh:

And what exactly what type of chips are you talking about? Chocolate chips, potato chips, huh? If it is just a little dirt and dust then I am going to "Just ....Get .... That.... Dirt.... Off of my shoulder." :biglaugh:

And have a great time in sunny SoCal because I know I am.

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
SupraDerk said:
Who cares if drifting is a trend...honestly?! Yeah you're gonna have posers, but you're also gonna have a ton of people who's interest is going to be ignited by going out and seeing it/trying it and if that get's them more interested in cars and the car world, then I can give respect to the trend! Besides, posers will be weeded out of drifting REALLY quickly when then wreck their cars, burn their clutches, snap the driveshaft...the list goes on.

That video had me almost in tears, haha the Sup was in last place for far too long...

What can I say, it is the "bitter and sweet symphony."

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Don't get me wrong...I Love The Nissan Skyline.
However, R34's are overrated. Everybody automatically thinks "2Fast2Furious = Skyline = R34 = The best Skyline = The only Skyline". I HATE that.

Because of rarity, potential and style, GTR-R32 is on my Top 10 Dream car list. I have no shame.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
There is a R32 GTS-T in town here, and the only time I saw him at the strip he was running mid 17's :rofl:

The R32 and 33 body style does nothing for me, the R34 does a little bit but I'd still take my Supra anyday over one.

supramic

Feb 4, 2006
magnolia DE.
Clip said:
not to crush dcru's thread, but just something that ive thought about from time to time.

it bugs me how every kid looks at the skyline like it's some unattainable god of racing. everyone says "ooh, well if i had a skyline...", or "a skyline is my dream car" or so on. it kinda pisses me off that video games really close this matter.

don't get me wrong, the skyline is a beast of a car, but its not like nothing else competes.

anyone else?
i totaly agree with you the skyline i a beast of a car but dame it not a the god of racing
i just going to do this cuz i know a little about both cars a skyline and a mk4, both can handel crazy power both are heave as shit to but i feel the reason why the sky- hiped up is cuz of it history befor nismo. the car was like one of those cars only a very very few of royalty could own. it also has a great history in the track with its awd system.

supra's i feel are just as good of a car but just dont have the history. looking at the two cars i really dont see what the big deal is besides the awd maybe it me tho

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well I liked the R-32 and R-33 but other than awd they are basically mk4's, The new GTR i think looks stupid even if it end s up being fast, when 2000 came all my fav cars became old, 90's and 80' cars were fun and good and for the most part not too played out, now even the mk4 is becoming played out and most nutbags don't even know what an mk3 is they are like "is that a probe" "or is that a 240" its sad really, the skyline is nissans only real powerhouse, the 300zx couldn't hold a candle to the mk4, and the silvia is too hard to make stupid fast, so what did they do, the GT-R, the 32 and 33 were pure performance the 34 like in the games happens to be nose heavy plagued by understeer and not all that sexy in my opinion, 33 holds the looks prize in my book and the 32 is like an mk3 its old, its fast, its cool. :)