Targa top/How I love it

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprajztwenty;1762028 said:
so, can we make another thread, "targa top-why i DONT like it"

i fucking hate bolts!!!! im contemplating a quick release setup, like some type of clip/rod.
itll take a group effort, i know for sure. i can mod-if-icate just about anything but i want it clean and simple...so any ideas guys?

i know most folks just get a mini cordless driver with the allen installed...but thats still a little too slow for my taste. im going to check out a c6 vette tomorrow for ideas...thinking 2 clips in front will suffice as long as i attach/weld rods in the existing bolt holes. i dont want to get too far into this without a proper plan, incase i damage the targa/roof bolts.

anyone else interested, lets make a targa release thread or something like that.

Even the MKIV has bolts, it just has a safety catch to prevent it from flying off. The targa is stressed when it's on, so anything other than bolts isn't going to really work well, or be so big as to be obtrusive (I like my headroom thanks).

T-tops rattle, my targa has never rattled ;)

Dani87x

OATHKEEPER III%
Oct 11, 2009
Miami FL
There is no way to explain the love for the targa top. Its a major head turner, especially for a fast 20 year old car. I live in Miami and having a car that can have the top come off is a must.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
Poodles;1762036 said:
Even the MKIV has bolts, it just has a safety catch to prevent it from flying off. The targa is stressed when it's on, so anything other than bolts isn't going to really work well, or be so big as to be obtrusive (I like my headroom thanks).

T-tops rattle, my targa has never rattled ;)

understood, also i read a similar post you made on this very topic, so i get it...itll be tough as hell to achieve, but i believe with some engineering, a simple 1/4 turn method can be implemented somehow...as long as the "pins" are engaged, all stress is loaded on them, and the fastener is just there to suck the targa down for a good seal.

i looked at the c6 vette today and its a 1/4 turn setup but the lever is almost 6" long, so youre right, to get the tension you need youll have to sacrifice some space, now trying to do that cleanly is the REAL challenge i see myself running into.

i doubt ill get started on this anytime soon but i do plan on doing it, ugly or not...but the way im thinking of, ill do the mods to the targa so i can always swap back to stock if need be by simply buying another top.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Don't end up like i did.
90 MPH and woosh on the highway

p1762284_1.jpg

p1762284_2.jpg

p1762284_3.jpg

p1762284_4.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Justin;1761765 said:
I would just like to say that four years later this is still relevant :-D

Make that five years. Just went on a nice sunset drive, perfect weather, perfectly running Supra.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
91whitepack;1844974 said:
am i crazy for wanting to have another supra just to have a targa??

There are altnernatives if you just want another targa car. But for many of you, (that have a broom holding your hood) it is going the wrong direction.

ferrari-308-gts-06.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nick M;1845004 said:
There are altnernatives if you just want another targa car. But for many of you, (that have a broom holding your hood) it is going the wrong direction.

View attachment 58314

One of my best experiences was cruising on a highway 3 lanes wide with one of those and a lotus elise. We all had the tops off :)

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I've got to say, I've missed my Targa terribly the past (almost) 4yrs.... Finally took it off for the drive home from work last night, and also this morning when I went to the tire place. Every nice day since the car went down I've been jonesing to drive around with the targa off. I love my truck, but it just isn't the same.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I showed my car to my GF, and when i mentioned that it was a Targa, she looks at me and says we should take a topless cruise. ;) Targa FTW!
-AM3

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I pity the fools who compare r32 skyline's or 300 zx's with mk3's, there is no comparison between them.
The looks, mk3 FTW.
The engine, mk3 FTW.
The inside, mk3 FTW.
Its enough that mk3 come with a targa.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Its great when you wash the car, shammy it.. pop the top off and take it for a slow cruise down the road and just keep your thumb up.. saves you looking side to side at all the people doing the same.. lol

Only car I have ever owned that is guaranteed a comment everytime I drive it.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Just before I purchased my current Supra on New Year's Eve in 2009, I had come in 2nd in an eBay auction for a very nice looking '90 Turbo Targa. Just like my first Supra, but with that added Targa goodness. I was so disappointed that I sent the seller an e-mail (we'd been in touch a LOT during the course of the auction) and told him to ping me if the winner flaked out.

Wouldn't you know it, as I was about an hour into my drive home from Kentucky to Tampa in my new Supra, my phone rings... Grrrr.

Oh well... the trade-off is that the car I got already had the 1JZ swap done. Too bad there's no Targa mod. LOL