Taillight Mod - What do you think?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Canuckrz;1844675 said:
Bad idea imo like others have said, potential large ticket. If you want the black look just use niteshade as its actually meant for this purpose.
Careful with VHT Niteshade... CLEAN whatever it is you're tinting, as best as you possibly can. If you don't, the result looks like crap. Also, I'd recommend only using ONE coat of it. Two coats will likely make the tail lights next to useless, and unless you like getting rear ended, I wouldn't recommend two coats.

Also, it's not as easily removed as plastidip is...

jetjock;1844685 said:
This. I like the plate mounting though. Shows real attention to detail.
Still better than the mini-truck guys who seem to be unable to put their plates at anything but an exact 45° angle...

Emeraldage;1844762 said:
Also, now I feel terrible about what I tried. Also, someone brings up the license plate really? There is only one hole, no lie I can't even get a second screw in it. But don't really care it's a license plate.
Eh, it's your car man, but I would really be wondering why your plate isn't lining up right. Have you taken off the center piece of your taillights? Should be pretty easy to figure out why your plate won't line up. Might even be an easy fix. :)

Emeraldage;1844765 said:
Awesome, found the car that gave me this idea...
You sure that's a drift car? That actually looks tasteful and probably functional too...

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Well that's why I used plastidip so if I'd like to I can remove it. What do you mean it's probably functional too? Mine is functional all lights maintain normal brightness, the lights aren't as small as they look just my phone camera only capturing the hot spots.

Awhile ago I tried to screw in the other hole on the plate, something in the hole, not sure what it is, so I just screwed in the other one tight, never looked at it since the day I got it registered.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Here took one more picture when it's lighter out and further from the car. In case it's just the mk3's unphotogenicness, haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20120601_143653.jpg
    IMG_20120601_143653.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 65

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Just go for JDM tail lights like I did (this is Lithium14's car)..

They're darker than USDM lights, and are all the same color (USDM lights have a brighter center piece for some reason)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Still a giant red bar across the back. I just dislike colored light lenses anyways. Have my theme of white car with black, and then the blue interior. And then there's some red and amber on their too. Like come on, we have LEDs now! But yeah that looks nice for the fact that your paint looks nice. Mine is total crap, and needs repainted. I'm sorry not all supras are perfect, bought mine for 2000, with 213k miles on it. Was planning on getting it with an engine swap but money went crap right then. Thank goodness it's still running good, leaking everything though, puddle of oil above the spark plugs too.

But yes, it does look nice to me, I think mostly because it's in perfect condition. Still love the white with some black here and there.

I get a strong feeling everyone likes things stock on this site.

Lol for the heck of it I read the laws in my state about it. It's legal. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.05 Doesn't say anything about reflectors. Might take it off anyways since everyone here hates it. :(

Last edited:

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I'm sure it'd look better. If I got the car repainted and got a clear coat back. Then redid the tail lights like that, with less tint and a gloss layer.

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
RazoE;1844786 said:
Just go for JDM tail lights like I did (this is Lithium14's car)..

They're darker than USDM lights, and are all the same color (USDM lights have a brighter center piece for some reason)

sm_photo_missing.jpg
thats what im going for, very clean looking in my opinion

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
Emeraldage;1844833 said:
Clean would be nice but I need a whole paint job first haha.
i hear ya. i put my 89 through an interstate service road fence when i was 17. chainlink went over the car and scratched the hell out of it. when i blew the h/g on it, i bought my white 91 and have taken pretty good care of it so far. I want to repaint my 91 the exact color that it is so it will probably be expensive.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Mod is okay, but go back to stock bulbs immediately. Those LEDs look ridiculous.

I'm a fan of both flat and gloss black tails as well as stockers. It's a car by car basis.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
LEDs look ridiculous? It's just brighter light, I focused it a little smaller so I can have two circles instead of a stupid big square light. But everyone is bitching about how it looks so I'll just take it off, and find a way to restore tail lights.

Those "ridiculous" LEDs are quite a bit brighter than stock bulbs, you wouldn't be able to see much light at all with the stock bulbs.

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
Dude, "to each his own." if you like it, then keep it. the only problem i see is the police factor. Again its your car and this is just a place for opinions. If you noticed, i nightshaded my front turn singles and really dont care if nobody else likes it.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I read the code for our state. Only on tail light is required. No reflectors required. Has to be visible within 500ft. And I also had the 3rd brake light, the pictures were only taken with parking lights on.