Taillight Mod - What do you think?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
roadboy;1844828 said:
if you guys want to take off the vht niteshade, use acrysol, just took mine off two days ago, took less than 5 min.
Good to know, where do you find the stuff, body shop?

Anyway, to the OP, if you like it, keep it. No need to get panties in a bunch... Personally, I've always been too busy enjoying my car to care about what my tail lights look like. As long as they can be seen by people behind me if I hit my brakes, I'm good.

For what it's worth, I adjusted my brake pedal sensor to within 1mm of the pedal, if you even rest your foot on it, it lights up. That split second between starting braking and you brake lights lighting up could mean the difference between a close call and a smashed Supra. So... I prefer LED tails, if done right. :)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Emeraldage;1844888 said:
LEDs look ridiculous? It's just brighter light, I focused it a little smaller so I can have two circles instead of a stupid big square light. But everyone is bitching about how it looks so I'll just take it off, and find a way to restore tail lights.

Those "ridiculous" LEDs are quite a bit brighter than stock bulbs, you wouldn't be able to see much light at all with the stock bulbs.

If you're modding your car to please us then yes, please return your tail lights back to stock. If you're happy with what you've done then leave it be. If you can't take negative criticism then don't ask the general public for their opinion. You might not like the responses you get.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I get the aesthetics you're going for, but the matte finish looks odd. No harm in trying, though.

Personally, the taillights on the MKIII are so large that any mod only serves to bring more attention to them, IMHO.

My biggest concern would be for safety. Never mind how bright the LED's are at night- have someone sit in the car on a nice bright sunny day & walk 50 yards back & have them step on the brakes. Many, many smoked, tinted or otherwise modded dark taillights are WAY hard to see during the day, even if they appear to work fine at night. Remember- the test isn't "can I see them?" It's "do they jump out and grab my attention?"

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I personally would love it if someone came up with a single tail light mod for the back that spanned across and had some lines, etc..
However, I think that would be insanely expensive to develop and would not have a large enough market to even consider. Not a huge fan of what you did, however, I applaud the effort. Who knows.. in future variations (who does something to a Supra "once"??) maybe you will stumble into something that works very well. I got the JDM Khouki's simply to get the darker red. Would like them even darker, but not going to play with it.