Taillight kill switch....Ghost car

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
has anyone here considered doing this on a MK3 supra..?

basically I would like to wire a switch (ground interuption?) into the rear taillight panel to override taillights and brake lights (for off-road use only--te hee) as well as license plate lamps

so that with the flip of a switch it becomes a "ghost car", like that Simpsons 'thelma and louis' episode

151.jpg

should make for a n interesting conversation piece.... amongst other things...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
How would this be interesting?
Hypothetically, if someone were to use this mod in a different way from what YOU ever would(IE- on-road), say... to get away from the police,
the cops would still simply see the area of road the car was lighting up from the headlight system, pull them over, and proceed to write them up a second ticket for improper tail lights.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
supraguy@aol;1841861 said:
How would this be interesting?
Hypothetically, if someone were to use this mod in a different way from what YOU ever would(IE- on-road), say... to get away from the police,
the cops would still simply see the area of road the car was lighting up from the headlight system, pull them over, and proceed to write them up a second ticket for improper tail lights.

LOL at write them a ticket....most likely they would be ripped from the car and beat like RODNEY KING.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well yes, I meant that they'd get the ticket AFTER they received some Po-Po lovin'.
And... Did you mean beaten like Rodney King??

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dude, didn't I tell you not to mix Kool-Aid in the Clorox bottle? That shit kills brain cells...

On topic, if you were to, oh, i dunno... get rear ended, because people don't see your tail lights, don't expect any sympathy on here. ;)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Some info that should be known...

In PA there's a $285 fine for shutting off your lights to avoid ID by a police officer (even if they are not chasing you and they are just trying to read your plate), PLUS 6 months suspension.

If you do it to evade, it's between a $5,500 and a $15,500 fine and either a misdemeanor or a felony and a 1 year suspension and up to 9 months in jail.

So if anyone was considering using this to evade police as nothing but a harmless stunt with a small fine for having inoperable lights... better check your local laws again.

If just for a conversation piece... ok. I don't see the novelty in it myself.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Are the license plate lamps on a different circuit than the tail light circuit? I couldn't imagine it being any more difficult than running a wire from one leg of the taillight fuse in the driver kick panel to an ice cube relay triggered by a 12v toggle switch, then wired back into the fuse.

I've always thought about it but never went too far with the idea past daydreaming ha.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A long long time ago a certain person here had his taillights wired so you could change the configuration of the lights that were "on" with a flick of the switch, that way if you had enough of a lead you could switch unsighted drop to the speed limit and trundle along :evil2:

Most people form a "sight pic" in their mind if they're chasing something far away (doesn't work if they've spotted your plates) when presented with a different "sight pic" they'll pass you and try to reacquire.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1842039 said:
A long long time ago a certain person here had his taillights wired so you could change the configuration of the lights that were "on" with a flick of the switch, that way if you had enough of a lead you could switch unsighted drop to the speed limit and trundle along :evil2:

Most people form a "sight pic" in their mind if they're chasing something far away (doesn't work if they've spotted your plates) when presented with a different "sight pic" they'll pass you and try to reacquire.
Gee, I couldn't imagine who would do anything along those lines. Must have a lot of time on their hands. :p

SideWinderGX;1842052 said:
:biglaugh: How many lighting configurations are there on the rear lights?
Well, with a set of LED lights, quite a few I would think. :)

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
wow.. straight edge responses here..

I have been pulled over for faulty non functioning taillights, the officer "followed" the direction I was going and caught up to me roughly 20 minutes later - country roads...

when I explained that I washed the car earlier that day, water must have caused a short and I have spare fuses in the trunk, he was more than happy to accept that answer and hold the flashlight while I searched..my sister was the passenger that day and her university was the destination.. the police in Canada here RARELY get shot at....

^had my brake lights not been on a separate circuit I would have not been stopped as the officer explained that he didn't want to catch a no taillight car at pursuit speed

I have had many incidents wherein I pass through a speed trap, and I could avoid the infraction by anonymously pulling into a rural driveway and wait 2 minutes then continue....

I guess you'd have to appreciate the level of 'love' I get.... late last year I was stopped and had my info run while checking my tire pressure/on private property.. just and example..

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
People that have continual run ins with law enforcement generally get the extra attention for a reason. In my 10 years and 100,000+ miles of driving I've never been pulled over and not deserved it. I have yet to experience ANY officer pulling me over for anything dumb.

The ghost car killswitch seems dangerous and ONLY helpful when you're in a high speed pursuit. Instead of trying to figure out how to increase your odds in a high speed pursuit, how about take that effort and use it to avoid being such a target for the police?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1842287 said:
People that have continual run ins with law enforcement generally get the extra attention for a reason. In my 10 years and 100,000+ miles of driving I've never been pulled over and not deserved it. I have yet to experience ANY officer pulling me over for anything dumb.

The ghost car killswitch seems dangerous and ONLY helpful when you're in a high speed pursuit. Instead of trying to figure out how to increase your odds in a high speed pursuit, how about take that effort and use it to avoid being such a target for the police?
Try driving your Supra down I-15 in Utah sometime. I can see your point, but I can see his point as well. In all my trips through Utah on my way to Vegas/Phoenix, I would be willing to bet I've been pulled over by the majority of highway patrolmen that I've seen. Two of the I've-lost-count times I've been pulled over? 100% my fault. The rest? Complete BS revenue generation.

I could totally see Canada being similar enough to Utah that he gets pulled over/interrogated without good reason. That said, I'm with you on the kill switch idea. Invites more trouble than it's worth, and for what it's worth, if Canada is anything like Australia and some other countries... you're kinda foolish for discussing it on an open and public section of the forum. ;)

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Buddy thought of this once in his Skyline. His idea was if he was ripping the opposite way of a cop he could flip the switch, brake hard, then switch back and continue on, just so they couldn't see him slam the brake lights in their rear view. Still kind of a waste of time. And yes cops in Canada are FUCKED. Especially in Regina. 80% of the times I've been pulled over was for no reason and I was let go after pointless bull shit hassle. The other 20%, well I was doing what they consider illegal, and got the ticket for it. But I didn't harm anyone so as far as I'm concerned I didn't do anything unlawful. And what are they gonna do about us posting this in a public forum? Knock down my door? Fuck them and their greedy need to steal my hard earned but worthless paper money just to line their pockets.