Taillight kill switch....Ghost car

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
suprarx7nut;1842287 said:
People that have continual run ins with law enforcement generally get the extra attention for a reason. In my 10 years and 100,000+ miles of driving I've never been pulled over and not deserved it. I have yet to experience ANY officer pulling me over for anything dumb.

The ghost car killswitch seems dangerous and ONLY helpful when you're in a high speed pursuit. Instead of trying to figure out how to increase your odds in a high speed pursuit, how about take that effort and use it to avoid being such a target for the police?

This is the best post in this thread,

i agree, I rarely get pulled over, and when i have been, ive usually been in the wrong, Not that i like cops at all, but i see most people that complain they are getting hassled by cops are doing something to attract that attention,

They either drive like idiots, or they go and plaster their car with ricer stickers and chrome gauges and/or stuff that is just plain unnecessary for driving on the street, Massive GT wings for example!

And then complain that they always get extra attention. It just does not make sense to me! :rant2:

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
I once heard if you follow the law then the police have no need to pull you over

I been pulled over 6 times. Everytime was my fault except 1. Random drug search.

Instead of running a ghost switch get a radar detector or keep your eyes open

I could only imagine the police report after a wreck because you forgot to turn the lights on

Driver at fault with ghost switch: "i forgot to turn my rear light kill switch back on. I only installed it so I could evade police"

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
suprarx7nut -- unfortunately your view hasn't worked for me... I got pulled over more in my region while driving respectably... heavy vehicular prejudice....

in the ex-gf's caravan I could get away with passing patrolmen on the highway, in a shiney(stock body no stickers) 240 I get pulled over waiting at red lights... in a Q45 I have police waiting outside convenience stores to "run my info" -- once
in a loaner corolla with massive exhuast leaks and many heavy dents - never pulled over...

Its easy to say those who get pulled over "probably deserved it", until you read the officer disclosure and realize that any lies written in a little notebook are absolute truth because the author had a piece of brass on their shirt... I have had at least 5 occurances like this in 14 years of driving, 1 (not included) the officer conceded because the full serve gas attendant informed the officer he was wrong as to what he witnessed... complaint followed...

I have a theory that people who traded their preferred cars in on family vans truly resent those who did not...

and the likely hood of an officer finding a switch and determine its purpose is astronomically low...

but alas, I shall agree with the majority here, its a frivolous desire... I will abandon...

you may think I am exaggerating, but your only paranoid until you can prove it....; an example of moral character of some police officers.... good for a laugh since they likely do not protect you....

http://www.therecord.com/news/local...-toy-nude-photo-evidence-to-protect-co-worker

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Skeezix;1842562 said:
Buddy thought of this once in his Skyline. His idea was if he was ripping the opposite way of a cop he could flip the switch, brake hard, then switch back and continue on, just so they couldn't see him slam the brake lights in their rear view. Still kind of a waste of time. And yes cops in Canada are FUCKED. Especially in Regina. 80% of the times I've been pulled over was for no reason and I was let go after pointless bull shit hassle. The other 20%, well I was doing what they consider illegal, and got the ticket for it. But I didn't harm anyone so as far as I'm concerned I didn't do anything unlawful. And what are they gonna do about us posting this in a public forum? Knock down my door? Fuck them and their greedy need to steal my hard earned but worthless paper money just to line their pockets.

Of course, because it shouldn't illegal until somebody dies. C'mon now, how old are you? 16?

As far as what they are going to do? Maybe take note of your IP, physical address and registered vehicles and note you talked about a taillight killswitch. Then if anyone rearends you they've got info that says it's your fault. If someone hits you from behind hard enough they can easily argue premeditated assault/manslaughter due to your "mod". I'm playing devil's advocate here, but just be very aware of the possible consequences.

#04;1842630 said:
suprarx7nut -- unfortunately your view hasn't worked for me... I got pulled over more in my region while driving respectably... heavy vehicular prejudice....

What exactly happens when you get pulled over? Do they say, "License and registration please?" Then come back, ask you to pop your hood, and finally let you go? Or do they pull you over for not completely stopping at a stop sign? Or going 2mph over the speed limit? Or making an illegal u-turn?

I'm willing to bet you did *something* to garner extra attention other than simply drive a sporty car. I think people that complain about getting pulled over for nothing don't realize that doing something barely illegal (2 mph over the speed limit) is still completely illegal and an officer has every right to pull you over.

I'm not saying I follow the driving laws to a tee. Yesterday alone I hit triple digits 3 times, but I'm very aware of right and wrong and when an officer has the *obligation* to pull me over for violating a traffic law.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
:: facepalm :: OMG. Can't believe that I read that...

I drive in Canada. Have done so for more than 25 years. Not everywhere in Canada is the same, just like not everywhere in the USA is the same.

I've also witnessed some interesting biases in certain police populations. (I'm half Japanese and depending on how I'm dressed have been told by many that I appear native.) Think about the jokes about an African-american driving a luxury car in the States, and I can say that I've had that experience.

When I was driving my big block Chev, I had numerous road-side conversations with local law enforcement for any reason whatsoever. I got more than a few BS tickets (eg: 66km/h in a 60km/h zone) in that vehicle, but not one pullover that could have been prevented by anything like a ghost switch. Besides, this is far enough north that the sun doesn't set until very late in the evening during June/July, so often, the lights weren't even on in the first place.

For about a year (Of the 17 that I've owned the Supra) I was getting pulled over on a VERY regular basis. In that time, I got one ticket for a failed tail light, and that's it. I'd get pulled over at a speed trap, the officer would walk over to my window, look at the radar gun and frown, then tell me that I could go. Happened several times. I got pulled over twice because the snow had coated my license plate, and they couldn't read it. Then the next spring, I stopped getting pulled over. As far as visual prejudice goes, I'd be willing to bet that I look more asian behind the wheel of the Supra than I did behind the wheel of a '75 Monte Carlo.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
suprarx7nut;1842670 said:
Of course, because it shouldn't illegal until somebody dies. C'mon now, how old are you? 16?

As far as what they are going to do? Maybe take note of your IP, physical address and registered vehicles and note you talked about a taillight killswitch. Then if anyone rearends you they've got info that says it's your fault. If someone hits you from behind hard enough they can easily argue premeditated assault/manslaughter due to your "mod". I'm playing devil's advocate here, but just be very aware of the possible consequences.

Never said I planned on participating in such a "mod" did I? Secondly huge difference between illegal and unlawful, pick up a law dictionary. This thread is getting way too off topic and this isn't the place for this anyway.

To the OP: I suggest leaving alone, but people do what they want anyway.