SySt's Build up

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I put my exhaust system back on my car today. Since I had to remove the steering link to remove it, I decided to take a picture of the link where the rubber "boot" on it contacts the header. I have decided to just remove the rubber "boot".
DSC01202.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1283179 said:
Sounds a little familiar ;)

Hmm, I don't mean to dig up any old dirt in this thread or anything, I really do love the LS V8 series... just not the cars they're made with. ;)

This coming from a guy with an LS SS... :nono:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1283950 said:
Hmm, I don't mean to dig up any old dirt in this thread or anything, I really do love the LS V8 series... just not the cars they're made with. ;)

This coming from a guy with an LS SS... :nono:

No "dirt" check the "Shed" link in my sig all will be revealed ;)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I finally got my O2 sensors installed and started making the box that will cover the hole in the trunk. I'll post pictures of the trunk when the box is done. However, my engine runs tons better with the O2 sensors, obviously. It will be interesting to see how it drives and how much quieter it is with the major holes in the body filled up.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Awesome man! Did that fix your mileage issue at all? Another alternative to o2's would be sims. My SS would throw codes all the time because the cats are bad/clogged/etc. Pair of o2 sims, problem solved.

You know, I honestly envy this project a bit. You have the engine, AND the car. I mean, I have both an SS and a Mk3, and appreciate both of them for their own unique qualities, but this... this really is the best of both worlds I think. :)

I like the SS and all, but the drive... the thing is a 'muscle' car, but has potential for SO much more after a bit of chassis fabricating. Sadly though, it's still a solid axle. It's kinda like walking on a snowboard, with both your feet stuck together. Far as I've learned, feet work much better when they can operate independently, like an IRS setup allows...

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
te72;1298902 said:
Awesome man! Did that fix your mileage issue at all? Another alternative to o2's would be sims. My SS would throw codes all the time because the cats are bad/clogged/etc. Pair of o2 sims, problem solved.

You know, I honestly envy this project a bit. You have the engine, AND the car. I mean, I have both an SS and a Mk3, and appreciate both of them for their own unique qualities, but this... this really is the best of both worlds I think. :)

I like the SS and all, but the drive... the thing is a 'muscle' car, but has potential for SO much more after a bit of chassis fabricating. Sadly though, it's still a solid axle. It's kinda like walking on a snowboard, with both your feet stuck together. Far as I've learned, feet work much better when they can operate independently, like an IRS setup allows...

I like your suspension analogy, so true. I have not really driven my Supra since installing the O2 sensors but I expect it to fix my fuel economy issue as bad O2 sensors on LS1s are known for making fuel economy drop dramatically. Oddly enough my PCM was not throwing any O2 sensor codes...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It's true. Try driving a solid axle car sometime. I mean, it's fine on smooth roads, and the SS does handle fairly well, but throw a bump at it mid turn, and both your rear wheels react at the same time, causing your car to swing out. It's a rather poor design for a sports car.

I know I should have saved up a few months more for the C5... :nono:

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
te72;1299482 said:
It's true. Try driving a solid axle car sometime. I mean, it's fine on smooth roads, and the SS does handle fairly well, but throw a bump at it mid turn, and both your rear wheels react at the same time, causing your car to swing out. It's a rather poor design for a sports car.

I know I should have saved up a few months more for the C5... :nono:

Actually, I had and 04 Mustang and definitly had complaints about the rear suspension. The solid axle was just horrible in the corners and I really hated how much flex the rear control arm bushings allowed, made the solid axle even worse. I think a panhard bar and poly bushings would have made a huge difference but transitioning over bumps really can not be solved with solid axles.

Agreed, sports cars should NEVER have solid axles. Solid axles are for trucks and makes ay whicle with them handle more like a truck.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I decided to post up an update. I have the "firewall" for the fuel cell welded in the car. I just have to make some sort of quick release cap for the top to make re-fueling possible.
DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
My thoughts exactly for my ATL Cell. I cut out the same line in the floor and had the same basic layout planned.
I had planned making a custom top to extend the cap up behind the license plate so you wouldn't have to go into the car to refuel.

Looks good! What are you using for a fuel pump?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
supra90turbo;1424291 said:
My thoughts exactly for my ATL Cell. I cut out the same line in the floor and had the same basic layout planned.
I had planned making a custom top to extend the cap up behind the license plate so you wouldn't have to go into the car to refuel.

Looks good! What are you using for a fuel pump?

Two Walbro 225lph pumps in the cell with a trap door surge tank.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I finally got around to wiring up the signal for the cooling fan relay from the PCM. So now my cooling fan should (Haven't tested yet) turn on and off automatically. I also found out I made a big mistake when rewiring my car. All of my documentation was on paper and I lost it. So I had to remove/disconnect all the light bulbs and disconnect each circuit off the fuse block and test for continuity to find out whats what. All terminals going to the fuse block are now labeled and I made a file on my computer with the fuseblock diagram and circuit information.

I also got a bracket welded in the car to mount the handbrake. So I now have a working handbrake. Funny thing about leaving the brake disconnected and not moving for a good two+ years though. After engaging the handbrake for the first time, it stayed partially engaged making pushing the car around extremely difficult. Last night I finally got around to take the rear brakes apart and found nothing out of order. I cleaned the hanbrake parts inside the drums and readjusted them along with sanding down the drums to get rid of ridges and my handbrake works great now.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
emiliorescigno;1456725 said:
Progress is looking good - think the car will be up and ready in time next spring for a meet?

Yeah, it should be. Especailly being I drove it up the Grand Forks, ND from Burnsville, MN this past Spring. My main issues are getting my tach to work and getting a speedometer...