SySt's Build up

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Alright, so I have decided to buckle down on this project a little more. My goal is for it to be completely daily driveable by early May. There are a few things I need to take care of in order to meet that goal:

-Finish plumbing rear brake system (Waiting on double lap flare tool adapters)
-Paint front bumper cover and hood
-Make sure headlight switch wiring is reliable
-Do as much of an alignment as I can in my garage (Decent camber configuration and sketchy toe and caster settings)
-Create replacement front cross-member brace (Where's that file IJ?)
-Make hatch on fuel cell "firewall" lid
-Buy and install fuel cell guage sender of proper resistance range
-Buy and install electronic speedometer (Going to be digital)
-Convert LS6 tachometer signal to work with OEM tachometer
-Put a couple more interior panels back in
-Secure all lines/wires going through the interior

The only part I do not really have figured out is the tachometer signal conversion. I know I can buy a piece of hardware that can convert the signal for me, however I know it can be done much cheaper. I need to increase the LS6 tachometer signal by 50% for sure. I also know the LS6 signal is 5v, which may not work with the 12v tachometer, though it is worth a try. A step up circuit to increase the voltage should be no problem. This whole tach signal issue can also be solved if I can get someone to flash my PCM, changing the tach signal parameters. So if anyone thinks they may be able to help me out here, let me know. I guess if nothing else I will buy a small, cheap tachometer for the time being.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I got around to securing all of the lines and wires going through the interior of the car (Positive battery cable, fuel line, harness going to rear for tail lights etc. and the rear brake line). I used some insulated clamps and some sheet metal screws to fasten them to the transmission tunnel underneath the arm rest. It's not perfect, or should I say show car quality but it provides it's function, keeping the cables/lines out of harm's way.

So check that off the list. I realized something I need to add to list thought. I need to secure the battery box to the body. I will have the battey box mounted right behind the passenger seat.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
SySt;1514250 said:
.... securing all of the lines and wires going through the interior of the car (Positive battery cable, fuel line,...................

Don't tell me you have fuel lines on the inside of your car!!!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
To all there own.
12_nt_accident1_5.jpg

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Well I figured I enjoy coming in to other people's build threads and seeing pictures, even if it isn't of anything really cool. So here is a couple pics of how I routed the fuel line, rear brake line, positive battery cable and the rear accessory wiring. And yes, the OEM arm rest will still fit with about 1/8" of shimming upwards and no ash tray.

Attachments

• DSC01366.jpg
    DSC01366.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01365.jpg
    DSC01365.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 95

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
"The only part I do not really have figured out is the tachometer signal conversion. I know I can buy a piece of hardware that can convert the signal for me, however I know it can be done much cheaper. I need to increase the LS6 tachometer signal by 50% for sure. I also know the LS6 signal is 5v, which may not work with the 12v tachometer, though it is worth a try. A step up circuit to increase the voltage should be no problem. This whole tach signal issue can also be solved if I can get someone to flash my PCM, changing the tach signal parameters. So if anyone thinks they may be able to help me out here, let me know. I guess if nothing else I will buy a small, cheap tachometer for the time being."

will hptuners access the tach signal you are looking to modify? if so i have a tuning cable and available credits. and im local to you! i have no idea how to change it, but we could probably figure it out if you want to try

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
fixitman04;1515649 said:
"The only part I do not really have figured out is the tachometer signal conversion. I know I can buy a piece of hardware that can convert the signal for me, however I know it can be done much cheaper. I need to increase the LS6 tachometer signal by 50% for sure. I also know the LS6 signal is 5v, which may not work with the 12v tachometer, though it is worth a try. A step up circuit to increase the voltage should be no problem. This whole tach signal issue can also be solved if I can get someone to flash my PCM, changing the tach signal parameters. So if anyone thinks they may be able to help me out here, let me know. I guess if nothing else I will buy a small, cheap tachometer for the time being."

will hptuners access the tach signal you are looking to modify? if so i have a tuning cable and available credits. and im local to you! i have no idea how to change it, but we could probably figure it out if you want to try

HPTuners will change the frequency of the signal for sure. I have heard it might be able to change the voltage as well. If not, a step-up circuit is easy enough to make anyhow. I would definitly want to give it a try if you are willing.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
im willing to share my cable, just pay for your credits(whatever the going rate for credits is) pm me and we can work out the when and where. i want to see this beast of yours!

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
fixitman04;1515962 said:
im willing to share my cable, just pay for your credits(whatever the going rate for credits is) pm me and we can work out the when and where. i want to see this beast of yours!

After a little research, I have decided using HP Tuners just to change my tach signal will not be very economical. I do appreciate the offer though. I will be buying an adapter from Baker Electronix to convert the tach signal.

I got the OEM oil pressure sender installed to the LS6. I decided to adapt to the LS6 oil pressure port using a hose so that I did not have worry about a big length of adapters breaking off. The sender is also in a MUCH more accessible location now. I also finally welded in the battery box studs. I'll probably have pictures up later.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Here are some pics of the battery box studs welded in and the oil pressure sender. The next time I have to mess with the fitting for the oil pressure sender on the back of the engine I am going to cry.

Attachments

• DSC01382.jpg
    DSC01382.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01383.jpg
    DSC01383.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC01368.jpg
    DSC01368.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 97

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Bigzavs;1518784 said:
looks great so far, and thanks again for the diff flange info!

No problem man.

I received my speedometer today. It is a digital speedometer from Cyberdyne. In my opinion not the best looking digital speedometer one can find but it sure had the right price and will work just fine for my application. I am going to mount the guage in place of the OEM speedometer.

Attachments

• DSC01385..jpg
    DSC01385..jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 53