Sway Bars

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I'm sick of body role so I went in to Toyota the otherday to see if they had TRD sway bar's for my 87.
Apparently they don't carry TRD products.. ok

So they suggested a set from Suspension Techniques for 397.99
stq-52215_w.jpg

What set of sway bars would you recommend?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
ST sways are good, whitelines are good.

If you replace them make sure you get some metal end links too.

on another note i dont even think TRD made sways for our car.....

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
SupaMan;1177243 said:
ST sways are good, whitelines are good.

If you replace them make sure you get some metal end links too.

on another note i dont even think TRD made sways for our car.....
I dont know if they did, It just surprised that the only thing they ever brought in from TRD was a shift nob and it took a few months.:nono:

GrimJack;1177244 said:
Those are good. Whiteline are a bit more aggressive. Both are available from the vendors here for substantially less coin. Check out the same ST kit at Titan, for instance:

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/sustecfronan.html
Wow that is a big difference, do they ship to Canada?
It doesn't list it as an option under there shipping info.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
i rock ST sways. good money spent! endlinks are a must tho.. well there not but if you drive like me you'll snap them suckers quick if their worn.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Yea ST Bars can be had for much less then $400.

$222 is the cheapest I've seen for the set.

Im rockin coilovers with stock sway bars with minimal body roll.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, they ship to Canada. Duane is one of their biggest customers! :)

Not that it really matters, Raptor Racing sells the Whitelines *from* Canada, and many of the other vendors carry one or the other for a reasonable price as well.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I <3 my adjustable whitelines

Fronts even came with the endlinks (beefy), but you have to reuse the rears (I have an 89, so I have the plastic endlinks that will flex/break before the tabs on the bars break)

Probably the EASIEST major aftermarket part I've installed on my car as well. Took me maybe an hour...taking pics and trying to decide what setting to put them on (softest, and haven't changed them yet). I'm on stock springs and KYB GR2's with the whitelines and it makes it ride like stock on the highway, but not feel like a boat in the corners.

Also, there is next to nothing that TRD makes for our cars, they're simply too old. Back in the day it was a different story...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
+1 for the whiteline bars. They cost more but are worth it because they come with upgraded front endlinks and are adjustable (soft, medium, hard). George at Raptor Racing is in Canada, and I bought my set from him. (See him in the Vendor section here)

The improvement in handling performance is incredible. I waited too long to buy these!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I've got the whitelines on my car; however, I can't really comment on their performance as the car has yet to see the road. I'd say you could stop by and have a look at them, but there isn't a whole lot to see. I picked mine up from raptor racing as well.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Whitelines come with upgraded front endlinks, any place to get upgraded rears?

Can't you make custom ones? I remember a few pics of two red pieces threading into each other, I think those are the end links...

With the new end links, will any of the links/tabs break under spirited driving?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The rear tabs on the suspenion arms are weak. Toyota instead of fixing the arms, put plastic endlinks on the 89+ ones so the endlinks will flex/break before the tab did.

If you upgrade those endlinks (or use pre-89 ones) you may have issues with the tabs...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
It's not the swaybars you need to worry about. It's the tabs on the car's stock components, as seen here- Click to enlarge:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
angle iron, a drill press, and a mig welder will solve that problem for you...

(pretty sure this is the correct picture...but I can't see it at work...)
p1178287_1.jpg

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
I've seen the adjustable endlinks for the mk3's.Just wonder what effect the adjustment has on the car,I understand how the typical style(through bolt with washers and bushings)works,but how would the style on the mk3 change the handling characteristics any by increasing/decreasing length?