Supra or house.......:(

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
I just bought another 1991 Supra Turbo about a month ago. I haven't had a Supra since April of 07 and finally found one worth buying that I loved. I've been renting appartments since I moved out of my parents house in 03 and it's just getting old. With the market being what it is, I've came across some great deals on a home. My girlfriend of 6 years and I have some big decisions to make soon. If we do end up getting a house, the huge Supra project I had in mind might have to take a back seat. I'm sure someone has gone through this same situation. I'd like to keep the car AND move but it's going to be really rough. Any input from you guys that may have been through this same deal?

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
So damn true.....

It's hard to do the right thing when you're so immersed into this scene. I finally got back into the thing that I love, but then reality and timing hit me in the face.

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
Here's the deal.........I've got a friend of the family that is a mortgage broker and is going over some of the things that you should have when even remotely considering a house. One of them being a savings/emergency account. I've got a savings account, but it doesn't really have enough in it for some of the expenses that come up while getting into a house. That's really the one reason I'm considering selling the car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's all about priorities and how you'd like to live.

2 minute noodles and just scraping by each month to keep a car just isn't worth it trust me on this.

There will be plenty of time for cars later.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
RTA Supra;940456 said:
I just bought another 1991 Supra Turbo about a month ago. I haven't had a Supra since April of 07 and finally found one worth buying that I loved. I've been renting appartments since I moved out of my parents house in 03 and it's just getting old. With the market being what it is, I've came across some great deals on a home. My girlfriend of 6 years and I have some big decisions to make soon. If we do end up getting a house, the huge Supra project I had in mind might have to take a back seat. I'm sure someone has gone through this same situation. I'd like to keep the car AND move but it's going to be really rough. Any input from you guys that may have been through this same deal?

Pics?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
You can't really live in the car...just buy another car later when you're all settled in.

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
IJ.;940477 said:

2 minute noodles and just scraping by each month to keep a car just isn't worth it trust me on this.

My feelings exactly. I had a hard time seperating my hobby from my life with my last car. Since I sold it in April, I had some time to start "growing up". It's hard to pass up home's for such a small difference in price for rent.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ.;940477 said:

QFT ;)

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
Nick M;940481 said:

p940493_1.jpg

p940493_2.jpg

p940493_3.jpg

p940493_4.jpg

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Hmmm... GF of 6 years... Sounds like you need to keep the car. Because if you think the boot straps are tight now on your car budget, wait until you get married. :runaway:

Seriously though - Look for a house that is conducive to the hobby. Something with a garage that is big enough to park in, and big enough to work in. I bought my house before the car, and have found that it keeps me from doing some things I want... My driveway is so steep that I can't put the 1" drop on the suspension that my 4x4 desparately needs, or I couldn't get the car in the garage.

The bright side - If you own the Sup outright, it doesn't cost you anything to let it sit for a bit until you can get back at the project. And if you're making payments on a loan ( and doing a good job of it ) then you're building a good credit score that'll look good to the home lenders. KEEP THE CAR!

Best of luck,
Dango

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
Thanks Grim, and everyone else chiming in. I truly appreciate the advice

Dango,
I laughed my ass off when I read your post because you said exactly what I was thinking when I reread my initial post. She's a great girl. We've been living together for the last 2 years and marriage is most likely in the works at some point, lol.

Most of the houses that I'm looking at are 2 car garages. Believe it or not, the garage usually the first thing I look at other than price and location obviously, haha.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
The bf and I will be going through the same thing at the end of the year or early next year... We are trying to get both our cars built before we buy the land and build a house... This way we don't have to put them both on hold or get rid of one or both... Only problem is that it pushes back the time we can buy, and of course, the prices will rise drastically :(

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Been looking at property here

#1 Cable access
#2 Enough land to not have neighbours (min 5 acres)
#3 Close enough to the power grid to have 3 phase electricity
#4 Existing house
#5 Flat area for a machine shop and dyno

There's a price boom in my area so I can sell here move out to the country and have a big slabOcash in my pocket to build the shop.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
GrimJack;940488 said:
Here's a tip.

Cars, as a rule, decrease in value.

Real estate, as a rule, increases in value.

.... pure perspective.
Barrett Jackson autions will enlighten you. 440 or 426 'cuda prices are sick!

so let me edit a wee bit.

Cars, as a rule, decrease in value except antiques/muscle/special interest cars.

Real estate, as a rule, increases in value except when you live in North Texas (which is silicon valley version 2.0) then the computer market falls out, a current war going on and economy crapping out by the second, when a quarter million dollar house is now a HUD home and can be purchased for 140k plus taxes and the whole damn block is like that... Foreclosure city, wanna buy a rockin house for cheap and not have neighbors(cause they are vacant) come to TEXAS!

Dont mean to thread jack, interest rates are really low, it is definitely a buyers market, this would be a good time right now if you have the funds. Plus you get yourself your own GARAGE!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Pretty sure Grim meant "as a GENERAL rule" ...Meaning "with very few exceptions..."

Anyway, I digress. Cars arent worth making what could be the single most important and financially beneficial decision you will make in your young life. If I had it to do all over again I would bought when I was your age. Not only could I have done it easily, I would be able to afford far more toys right now.

Forget about the short term and think in the long term.