Supra or house.......:(

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
That's the advice that I was looking to hear. I've made up my mind ~75% but think that I had to make this thread to confirm it. I absolutely love the MKIII. On the same token, I absolutely hate renting and having to fight for a parking spot at my own friggin place! The place I'm at right now is hell and can't wait to get out. I'll be sleeping on it for a few nights for sure..........

The more and more I read over some of the things said here makes me realize how much I value the Supra community

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
upgradedsupra;940568 said:
Yes, having a house has many benefits not to mention it's "yours" :)

Duane

Damn you Duane for having such a beautiful car and making me want to keep the car more and more!

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Sell the soop, then purchase said house. Then after a few years when housing HOPEFULLY gets back on its feet, sell said house for a profit. Purchase your new home thats much better than the last and with the new found profit buy another supra. In the long run its win win situation :)

Good luck

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
buldozr;940526 said:
.... pure perspective.
Barrett Jackson autions will enlighten you. 440 or 426 'cuda prices are sick!

so let me edit a wee bit.

Cars, as a rule, decrease in value except antiques/muscle/special interest cars.

Real estate, as a rule, increases in value except when you live in North Texas (which is silicon valley version 2.0) then the computer market falls out, a current war going on and economy crapping out by the second, when a quarter million dollar house is now a HUD home and can be purchased for 140k plus taxes and the whole damn block is like that... Foreclosure city, wanna buy a rockin house for cheap and not have neighbors(cause they are vacant) come to TEXAS!

Dont mean to thread jack, interest rates are really low, it is definitely a buyers market, this would be a good time right now if you have the funds. Plus you get yourself your own GARAGE!
Tell you what. I'll buy a house. You buy a car. ANY car.

We'll get together in 50 years, see who has made more money on their investment. Loser buys lunch.

The key is that picking a car that will appreciate in value is like the stock market - it's a crapshoot. If you know what you are doing, you may get somewhere. Real estate is pretty much a sure thing, as long as you've got the time to wait.

Northern Texas sounds like a great place to buy right now.

Another thing to think about. Walk into any bank and tell them you want to use your house to borrow enough to buy a 20 year old Mk3 Supra, and you'll walk out with money. Walk into any bank and tell them you want to use your 20 year old Mk3 Supra to buy a house, and you'll be lucky if the folks working there can cover up their snickering.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is the Supra the only vehicle you own now?

I really don't know what all the hub bub is all about. A Supra and a house can co-exist with each other. You don't have to start modding that car right away. If you really love that car, keep it and buy a house. Chances are you are paying more in rent than what your future house payment will be, as long as you don't buy a McMansion. Red is not my favorite color but that car is damn nice. Hang on to it, keep the mods to a minimum and enjoy it and the house.

How much of this doubt is being driven by the gf? Does she have a problem with the car?

91GTE

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2006
Massachusetts
Hey if you looking to sell, hit me up, I would not mind have twin red 91s. Pm me when you do decide.

I wonder which i would like better lol, The car will stay in tampa/st petersburg area at my moms house, if and when you sell it.

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
I say do both, buy the house and keep the supra. Do like everybody else, upgrade the supra a little bit at a time. Btw nice clean Supra you got there.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Sell one of the other cars, not the kia because you'll lose too much. The choice could really be about the camry of the supra.

You would get more money out of the camry, depending how much is left on it, unless you leased it. The good thing anyways is you would be able to make some kind of profit, if not then at least you save on monthly payments.

Also doing this, the kia is probably cheaper to insure vs. the camry. You'd be able to have the supra and the house, as well as a kia for your wife. Hold off on modding the supra, you can have a lifetime to do that, enjoy driving it right now. When you're settled in and you're ready to build it then you can buy something as a daily.

I don't know if this suits you but thinking as if I was in this situation, I gave my advice. I know you want to sleep on this a few nights as you should, let us know what you decide to do, and what does your girlfriend think btw?

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
upgradedsupra;940568 said:
Yes, having a house has many benefits not to mention it's "yours" :)
Keep the Supra but not mod it and have the house as well.

Duane

actually its the banks until its paid off.:icon_bigg

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
how many miles does the supra have on it VS. the camry and was the supra well taken care of if it was and u keep up the mantinace then u might beale to keep the supra and sell the camry

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Don't buy a house now.
The realestate market is nowhere near the bottom it's going to hit, so I would seriously not buy shit unless you want to be upside down in a mortgage for the next 30 years or go BK in an effort to get out of it.
Neither of which is a good option.

Wait till it bottoms out (probably 12 to 18 months) and then buy. Other wise you are going to seriously regret it.

I know what I'm talking about here. Wait and you'll see I was right on this one.

Just hate to see a fellow Supra enthusiast (or anyone else for that matter) get fucked.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I might agree with suprabad up there... but... that doesn't mean you should go out there and go crazy on those Supra projects.

What you should be doing is putting a LOT of money into savings for the house and retirement.

I wish I would have purchased a house earlier. I bought in 2003 and my house appraises out at 50% more than what I paid on it. And that's in just 5 years. If I were to have bought a year earlier it would have been even higher.

If I were completely insane I could go out right now and take out a home equity line of credit and build one F-ing insane Supra.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprabad;940871 said:
Don't buy a house now.
The realestate market is nowhere near the bottom it's going to hit, so I would seriously not buy shit unless you want to be upside down in a mortgage for the next 30 years or go BK in an effort to get out of it.
Neither of which is a good option.

Wait till it bottoms out (probably 12 to 18 months) and then buy. Other wise you are going to seriously regret it.

I know what I'm talking about here. Wait and you'll see I was right on this one.

Just hate to see a fellow Supra enthusiast (or anyone else for that matter) get fucked.

I see fortune tellers aren't the only ones with a crystal ball. Anybody that has to tell somebody else they know what they are talking about usually doesn't. Maybe you are different.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i just went through this with my wife. i sold my old supra an bought a 90t for a project car. well after i had it not even a month my wife says i cant spend anymore money on the car until i get her out of our apartment. long story short im closing on my new house 3/31. im glad to buying a house, i hae living in an apartment and i hate paying rent tat isnt going toward anything. plus the house im buying has two car garage.

its not much but it will be mine. and now i will get to see my supra everyday.

Attachments

• 149 Twin Ridge Ct.jpg
    149 Twin Ridge Ct.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 17

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Congrats bmoss... That's awesome.

I know it comes down to this - We've all got big dreams about a nice house and a nice car. And the grass is always greener on the other side... If you sold the car you would have wished you kept it. If you didn't buy the house, like Grim says, you would have wished you bought it to have the appreciation start earlier in your life.

The only sane decision is to have both, and have both be sane. You can't spoool a turbo and whip shitties with a house, and you can't sleep in the car. Do everything in moderation, starting with the bottlenecks that need to be fixed on each, and you'll be happy... I promise. At least that's what I need to keep telling myself, because that's all I've got!