Supra in Clunker lot

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Zerocool;1386969 said:
Oh rly? That's not what I herd...

Well by what I can find the only thing(s) the boneyard can remove is the battery, tires, and cat-conv. Looks like things that would be a environmental hazards.

What have you heard thay can also remove?

That is why the URG (United Recyclers Group) are crying about this program saying it will create a shortage of good used parts for the average joe just trying to keep his car running. They are also saying it will drive up used car parts by as much as 15%, along with used car prices.

Also who sets or says what part is worth $50 supramk3man???? That smells kind of fishy to me ;)

Last edited:

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
)Law(;1386982 said:
n/a or not its a supra..... :(

Thank you! That is the whole point of this thread is to mourn the loss of a once pretty sweet car...! Wouldn't this whole thing be like making you drink gasoline until your insides just shut down....regardless of the point of this whole thing doing this to perfectly...or potentially pefectly running cars is horrible....I mean you had to have owned it for more than a year so obviously the car was of some use, and doubtful all these cars were towed in. A friend of mine at work said that the purpose of this program is so people have more money in their pockets so they don't have to spend useless money on their car. This is in no way shape or form true...and I have stats to prove this

The average car payment is $384/mo. that comes out to $4536/year!

Even if you got an oil change 4 times/ year because new non clunker car got free oil changes for a year @ 40/ change (overshooting here) = $160

Did a tune up once per year (overshooting again) = $100

Got a new set of tires = $600

Spent 20/week to wash your car because your new non clunker car gets free car washes for a year = $1040

and your car gets 10 less than your new one @ 12,000 mi/year using 25 & 35 mpg = $343< This isn't very much btw

This is a difference of $2293

Idk why I did all of that I just hate being wrong.:biglaugh:

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
My MKIV qualifies.. stupid,yes.. but it does..

Anyhow, I totally 100&#37; agree with DT on this.. I am pissed that my money is going to help more people get a visit from the repo guy. If you're looking for a good car, and have cash.. Wait a couple more months, draw some interest, and go buy one of these beautiful 2009/2010 barely used models at the repo auction. Thats what I am waiting for..
Unfortunately DT, some of our money was used by my dad's new wife.. She traded in her 1996 Buick for the CARS program for an Impreza.. Fortunately enough, her and my father paid cash for the car..

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Hey there is one bright side. Your supra just got rarer! No, but really that sucks about the supra it just goes to show there aren't many hardcore car enthusiasts anymore. I wouldn't do that to my car for 20,000 grand. Sounds crazy? Well it shouldn't if your a hardcore supra enthusiast. Screw anyone who does that to a supra.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
dubsupra209;1387039 said:
cant u find out which junkyard its going to and maybe buy it from them.....?

The car has to be crushed or else the junk yard could get in deep shit. Besides salvage yards will almost never let anyone buy an entire car, they will only sell it in pieces.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Cheap Bastards have devalued the Mk3 to the point they more than qualify for this idiotic program I don't understand why you all seem so surprised when people take advantage of the Govt sponsored incentive to kick start their personal bankruptcy.....

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
T701jz;1387331 said:
I haven't had any luck finding supras at the wrecking yard for this past month ....I wonder why? :)

Up here there was local yard that had 3 of them (86.5 - Marron, 87 or 88 - Blue, and a 90+ - Red) then a 85 mkII that was T-boned. All the MKIII were in pretty nice shape tell we went back to grab a couple more parts. ALL 3 were in the crusher pile!!!! Also the red 90+ one had a shadow gray interior. :cry: And they left the POS 85 MK2 alone just sitting there :nono: that one needs to go to the crusher, it was stripped.

Here are a couple pics I snapped quick. The Blue one was really buried and couldn't get a pic that you could see it in.

p1387419_1.jpg
p1387419_2.jpg

Last edited:

supraRAKK

Aug 1, 2009
Milwaukee,WI
this is very sad lets have a moment of silence for another fallen supra:3d_frown: on another note i am now more educated on the subject of cash for clunkers nonsense knew it was a bad idea. our counrty is turning into a scairy place

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Maybe (just maybe!) one day a law where it makes it illegal to drive a vehicle putting out to strong of emissions, kinda how you can't use a product that put's out to high of a CFM rate. Look at it this way, if they make it illegal they would probably offer a program similiar to this one which will "help" the economy and rid the world of harmfull emissions. So you will be forced to get rid of your harmfull vehicle and buy a hybrid in the name of saving humanity, lol thats whats next! Not really gonna happen for the lamens out their, just my unrealistic theory of whats possible.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
By what I have seen there are lots of good cars going to the crusher. Now if they traded in a real clunker like a 80's buick, 80-90 chevy, 80's accord (or any honda for that reason :evil2:) then call it good. Get these oil dripping, rusty POS off the road. But many I see are still nice like the vette that just went up in somke :cry:

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
Zerocool;1386953 said:
The dealership poors liquid glass in the motor destroying it, then it gets shipped off to the junkyard where it is stripped down for parts then the shell is crushed... Sad ending if you ask me.

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.........:aigo::cry:..........my heart just sank to the floor.my first car was also a 1987 supra.i swear to god if this was in florida,any part.id be 100% down to go steal the car......fucking vin numbers:3d_frown:

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Just saw the best thing EVER! Saw a lady get out of an brand new Toyota Corolla (nicely equipped).. You can tell by the temp registration, it was bought recently.. Goes in to do some shopping.. I manage to step behind her in line.. She has a bunch of food, and a pack of whipes/some other products.. Goes up to the cash register.. Pays for the groceries with food stamps (no big deal, i guess).. Then gets out her welfare card, to buy the rest..then gets some money out.. goes over to the other register and buys cigarettes.. I just sat there shaking my head thinking.. Yay! More tax payers money going to pay for a repo man visit..

I asked a friend of mine who runs a dealership here.. He had said that his 3 biggest consumers for the program are: disabled people (who actually are the most sensible with their purchases ie: accents, aveos and rios), hispanics, and low income people. He also said he has gotten some people in their mid to late 50s, but they just pay cash for the car.. Its amazing how that is.