Stripped the Sawblades! Pics

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
there is a product called zoop(sp) sealer for aluminum i used it all the time on my big trucks gas tanks it is a wipe on wipe off type of product that protects bare polished alloy for about 6 months.... works great. id use that on the wheels after stripping and polishing them

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
Just wondering, are my sawblades the "white ones" that are said that the paint stripper won't work on?
p1753506_1.jpg

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
No, the white ones are literally painted white. They were on the white package cars that had white door trim and white wheels. From your pic, your wheels look silver.

Worst case, if you strip them and hate it you can paint them whatever color you want, cause they're ready to paint.

Mine have been bare metal since march and I only washed them maybe 4 times, and it's been parked outside. They still look polished. I'm going to get some polish and a mothers powerball and see if I can make them better, I'm sure they've dulled a little since I first did it.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
So if I have a whole set of wheels with the tires still on them, what would be the best way to protect the tires? Even if I spray it just on the wheel then rinsing them with water will still get the aircraft remover on them.

Also to those who have done it, did you do just the front face or the whole wheel? Did you get inside of it?

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I did it with tires on the wheels. Used airplane cleaner available at any auto parts store. I didn't cover the tires but just carefully sprayed it on there. Two of the wheel finishes pretty much came off on the first attempt. The other two took a little while, just be careful not to scratch. Then polished them. I thought it was a pretty cool solution until I get new wheels.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Rob_Supra87;1755583 said:
So I am going to do this this week but first, so too protect them after I strip them; what exactly should
I buy?

Aircraft remover is a given, but what sort of metal polish/final protective coating? I'm ready to start this project but I don't know what exactly I need.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I did that to my sawblades several years ago. You probably don't want to see what they look like now... You've really got to keep on top of polishing them, or else they look hideous. A clearcoat is probably a really good idea.

Oh, and also, once they start looking rough, you can't even polish them easily again. (I tried. A full day's labour got 1/2 of one rim looking almost good again. It took a week's hard work to do it once, and the spring after that I gave up.

SRZMK3

they wont oxidize ive had mine like stripped for a year and a half with no effect. yes if you put paint stripper on the wheels they will shine up very easy with no extra work needed.. just make sure you put alot of stripper on there and blast everything away with a high pressure hose.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Sorry rob, I should have specified, I was asking dan. I was just wondering since he said his oxidized. Mine were fine all summer. Saw he was from alberta and thought maybe it was from road salt. That shit corrodes everything. If I ever move south that will be the main reason.