Stripped the Sawblades! Pics

firegumby

Jan 14, 2009
orlando fl
I have stripped, sanded, polished a set of sawblades and painted the interior parts that you cant get to black and they looked NICE! Sold the car so no pics.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I've used this to repaint some mk2 supra wheels for my corolla. I think I used some aviation paint remover called "Tal Stripe" or something like that, works very well. Just spray it on, wait a few minutes, and wash off with a hose. It takes the old paint off real quick.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
They look great for the OEM supra look. I would paint them to protect them though with silver metallic rim paint, like the 91-92 come in and spray the center both so it all matches and so it's protected. At least clear it.

Powdercoating, that's something else, up here it's $200 for a set of 4, I would put that towards rims or good tires.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys just did a test here on a few different years and types of sawblades and you need to be slightly careful.

If you have the "White" package this does not work. The finish under the white paint is NOT machined, just your basic raw mottled bare aluminium in a very dull matt finish.

Other than that though all silver mags seem to have the very nicely machined shiny "radial" appearance under the silver factory finish.

So as long as you don't have white factory colored mag wheels I would say its a big improvement over the silver coating from the factory. I would recommend painting them with something like the dulpicolor clear mag wheel finish or similar ASAP after stripping though as that bare aluminium will not stay shiny long otherwise. And due to the machining marks will not be as easy to polish up every now and then as a mirror finish would be.

On the plus side for the white package wheels I feel they would be easier to polish up to a mirror finish than the silver mags due to the mahcining groves being deeper than the raw aluminium surface.

Just thought I'd share the result of my tests, even though I don't even run sawblades.

firegumby

Jan 14, 2009
orlando fl
here' some pics of polished sawblades, 80grit, 220 grit, medium polishing compound, mothers billet. not quite done but close.

Attachments

• IMG_20100819_140713&.jpg
    IMG_20100819_140713&.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20100819_140644&.jpg
    IMG_20100819_140644&.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 139

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
anymore pics of 91 5 spoke rims?i want to strip mine but want them to look polished like the saw blades.any tips on how to make my wheels look really good?

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow, it's crazy how much better your car looks just from the striped sawblades. It makes the entire car look mint! My bro did the same on his black 89. I'll post some pics...

prettymuchanoob

Mar 24, 2011
Dallas
I've done the same thing on a few past cars with the same awesome finish. With my 4th gen Prelude I did the same thing without clear coating in anyway. I know a few have mentioned it, if its not clear coated, it can look bad, quick.

josh3x23

May 7, 2010
Omaha, NE
northdakotakid;1698005 said:
will the aircraft stripper hurt the tires? I don't want to take my tires off to do this...

I was thinking the same thing. I just put all new tires on last fall. I guess this will have to be a winter project when the supra is parked. Not worth the chance of ruining good tires but it looks like it would be worth the wait!

prettymuchanoob

Mar 24, 2011
Dallas
Yes aircraft stripper will damage tires. If you strip the rims with tires on the car, wedge flashcards bewteen the rim and tire all the way around when spraying the stripper.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I did this. Turns out good if your silver paint wasn't peeled at all. One of my rims was and it was all corroded under the paint. I just got the cheapest paint stripper they had at walmart and put it on with a cheap paint brush. An old toothbrush will loosen the stuff up without scratching the wheel up.