Stripped the Sawblades! Pics

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I was at home depot buying some paint for the house and saw a can a paint stripper and thought what the hell. Might as well try this until I get some wheels. Couldn't look any worse than what it looked like before. It was very simple and straight forward. Spray, rinse, repeat. I used just under two spray cans. I can't imagine why more people don't do this. It totally changed the look of the car. Don't know how long it will last unprotected. But for now it looks great.

Before.
img00718.jpg

After
img00770.jpg

img00765.jpg

img00762.jpg

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
did you use the stuff that burns the shit out of your skin as soon as it comes in contact with it?hahahaha and did you polish the rims or did the paint stripper make them look that good?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Yeah the stuff I used burns like hell if you get it on. Didn't get much on me. A little sprayed me when I hit it with the water hose. Quickly learned to stand back and at an angle! I didn't polish them, thats just what was under the paint.

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
oh cool so if i have regular plain old sawblades and i use the paint stripper should i expect it to look like that?reason im asking is because they look so good that i think someone polished them like 5 years ago and the stuff the paint stripper took off was just dirt and grime.
oh yeah that shit will eat through plastic worse than it burns your hands so dont do the center caps.but you probaly already know that.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I can't see why they wouldn't. It ate through the paint fairly easily. I should have taken a picture. It looked pretty cool. It was definately easier than if I had to actually clean them. It was nice to see the dirt and grime come off with the paint. No scrubbing required.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The majority of mag wheels are powder coated, not painted. Even the aviation grade stripper has very little effect on this type of surface. Hard to tell from the pic, but did they look flat mirror like chrome or where they machined in appearance? I'm thinking they may have been spun on a lathe perhaps to remove the powder coating. This is also why they appear to have a sort of "radial" sheen to them. Also note that inside the small spokey areas that they are not shiny. Also making me lean towards them being machined.

But perhaps all the saw blades have that appearance under the "coating".

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Flateric;1597684 said:
The majority of mag wheels are powder coated, not painted. Even the aviation grade stripper has very little effect on this type of surface. Hard to tell from the pic, but did they look flat mirror like chrome or where they machined in appearance? I'm thinking they may have been spun on a lathe perhaps to remove the powder coating. This is also why they appear to have a sort of "radial" sheen to them. Also note that inside the small spokey areas that they are not shiny. Also making me lean towards them being machined.

But perhaps all the saw blades have that appearance under the "coating".

Yes, blades will have that look under the PAINT. I am doing mine now. They are turned on a lathe when manufactured and are very shiney under the paint but no powder coating which was not used 25 yrs ago.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
before they oxidize id put some flitz metal shield on them. looks good. there is a powder coat that resembles chrome pretty good, id see about coating the centers.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Thanks, I will probably do a quick polish on them and put some clear on them. I'm waiting for my tires to wear down and then I will go wheel shopping.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Ya Aircraft remover!!! Wheels looks good!

I still have some of that, but I should REALLY get rid of it. It states on the bottle to dispose of within 6 months or you risk the container becoming comprimised.

I think I'll use it on my valve covers and then get rid of it.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'm suprised by how much I like this, cool idea. Anyone know how 91/92 five spokes look after doing the same? How about MKIV TT wheels?

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
A. Jay;1597878 said:
I'm suprised by how much I like this, cool idea. Anyone know how 91/92 five spokes look after doing the same? How about MKIV TT wheels?

My 91's looked like this after I stripped them..
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/whitem1ke88/Supra Log/IMG_3467.jpg

So I decided to paint them.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/whitem1ke88/Supra Log/IMG_3472.jpg

I guess it was because they were in such poor shape. Basically only the outer edge had that chrome effect.. chrome lip basically.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I'm suprised at how much I actually like them too. I used just under 2 cans. I had a 3rd can ready, but didn't need it.

How long do you think they will last before they oxidize?