solid motor mounts

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
I have a 88 supra with 7mgte (pre 89) mounts. I was thinking of replacing the motor mounts with solid ones. I know it will be rough but how bad is it. Its a long stroke I6 should be a smooth running motor. Just let me know. Thank you

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
I love my solids, went out bought some material and lathed them up. It rattles alot im not going to lie, but its tolerable. It reminds you to tighten everything up in the interior. But right when you hit 2000 rpms its about the worst. Go for it you wont go back.

p1704428_1.jpg

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Will be the worst decision of your life. Don't even think about doing it. I have some on my motor now with the 89+ round mounts and i absolutely hate them. At idle it will rattle your whole car loose. Before i put these things on my side mirrors were nice and tight and my doors never creaked. Now everything creaks and rattles and makes odd noises.

Oh yeah, i'll be giving these things away free once i take them out.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I have stock square mounts that i welded up with some extra steel. Its not that bad. Worst is idle in gear while stopped, (im auto) other then that it doesnt vibrate that bad at all. Especially when cruising. If i let off the brake from a stop in drive it goes away as soon as the car is rolling. In neutral it isnt bad at all.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's a luxury GT car with tons of creature comforts and sound insulation and great pains were taken to isolate vibrations.

Now take all that and throw it out the door :rofl:

Granted, it's not nearly as bad as a V8 with solids, but I wouldn't do it and have to deal with everything rattling loose in the car...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll mention that my car does it's fair share of rattling and squeaking, could very well be due to having solid mounts. Kinda a "we want to drive this thing sooner than waiting another 2 weeks for a shipment to send the proper mounts for my subframe" thing when we put my car together...

Why all the loctite IJ? For keeping your interior bits together?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In the end for every single bolt that went into the 7M Brad just to be sure, as I said a couple of hours doing WOT pulls on the dyno will highlight any "weak" areas.
(My car clocked up 16 hours of dyno time during development)

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
i ran solid mounts on my built 7M i didnt really notice my of a difference. maybe that's cause my car ran rough in the first place lol. It's not as bad as people say they are.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
arizzle;1705086 said:
i ran solid mounts on my built 7M i didnt really notice my of a difference. maybe that's cause my car ran rough in the first place lol. It's not as bad as people say they are.

Agreed. I've STILL got solid mounts on the 7M car, it's never suffered much from vibration, and it's never rattled. I always put stuff together with locktite anyway, so maybe that helped, I don't know.

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
Had solids in my car for a few months and could not wait to revert to normal ones, made the car feel cheap and nasty.