Simple Cheap modifications.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Hey everybody, before you ask, yes I searched, just looking for advice from those who know. :p Anyhow, Other than a flowmaster, punched out cat, and a drop in higher flow air filter, my 86.5 is basically stock. What are some cheap simple modifications I can do to make it a better car? I'm not really looking for engine tips, got that pretty well figured out. (unless you have a secret magic device that makes an na 7m faster ;) ) I'm just looking for simple cheap things to make it a better car in general. Plans are down the road (when I has actual monies) for turboing what I got or dropping in a 1uz. I'd prefer the 1uz personally, :naughty: but that's another story. So yeah I leave it up to you guys, if it was your car, what would you do to make it a nicer all around vehicle?

Thanks!!

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
I realize this, Not really planning on upgrading the engine, (aside from things like better grounds, or other such ideas) just looking more at the car as a whole. Simple things to make it a better car. Thanks though!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A good set of shocks/springs/sway bars makes the world of difference to a Mk3, when I bought mine there wasn't anything available off the shelf so I had to piece it all together and it transformed the car. (esp the bars after I had Whiteline build me a pair))

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I had a really good run from Koni Yellows, Eibach springs are nicely made and as mentioned Whiteline bars.

One thing with the Koni's is you need really good bump rubbers... I killed a shock when a stock Bump stop split.. :(
(I'm guessing any other shock would have died the same though)

I did 75,000 KM's in my GE in a single year back then, loved it!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
IJ.;1800213 said:
A good set of shocks/springs/sway bars makes the world of difference to a Mk3, when I bought mine there wasn't anything available off the shelf so I had to piece it all together and it transformed the car. (esp the bars after I had Whiteline build me a pair))

lol IJ he said cheap. but i guess thats relative.

heres some things off the top of my head. go throught the whole chassie/suspension and make sure everything is torqued to spec. like loose subframe or steering rack will make the car drive like ass. also while your down there yank your steering rack to make sure the bushing are good. its key to good steering response. change your fuel filter. on my current car i trailered it home and swaped my motor into it and it was gutless. low and behold the fuel filter was ancient! make adjustable swaybar endlinks. you can get everything you need from ace for pretty cheap. if you have a lsd shim it with the weir kit. if not buy one. theyre crazy cheap now. 200 or less will get one shipped to you door. will make you car perform much better especially if you autox.

Last edited:

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Cool I'll look into that thanks! Lots of fun mountain roads here so better springs and shocks would be fantastic. That is a ton of miles o_O

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
TheBlueSupra;1800218 said:
Cool I'll look into that thanks! Lots of fun mountain roads here so better springs and shocks would be fantastic. That is a ton of miles o_O
As a GT car it's second to none :)

As Black posted all the maintenance items are worth going over but I suspect you're on top of that so I didn't post it!
<finger to Black>

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
black89t;1800217 said:
lol IJ he said cheap. but i guess thats relative.

heres some things off the top of my head. go throught the whole chassie/suspension and make sure everything is torqued to spec. like loose subframe or steering rack will make the car drive like ass. also while your down there yank your steering rack to make sure the bushing are good. its key to good steering response. change your fuel filter. on my current car i trailered it home and swaped my motor into it and it was gutless. low and behold the fuel filter was ancient! make adjustable swaybar endlinks. you can get everything you need from ace for pretty cheap.

Great idea's thanks :D. Do you have a link on how to make the adjustable sway bars?

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
IJ.;1800226 said:
As a GT car it's second to none :)

As Black posted all the maintenance items are worth going over but I suspect you're on top of that so I didn't post it!
<finger to Black>
I certainly is a joy to drive. Even though the na lacks power compared to the turbo, It's fantastic compared to most anything else on the road. I do keep up on my maintenance much as I can, but reminders are always good :p

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I would definitely upgrade suspension. Im running tokico blues with B&G springs, and the handling is pretty good. I really need a sway bar.. I'm getting oversteer into high speed corners. Thats right folks! A mk3 with OVERsteer.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
TheBlueSupra;1800227 said:
Great idea's thanks :D. Do you have a link on how to make the adjustable sway bars?

no link. never seen a writeup on it. all you need is heim joints, studs, threaded collars, and nuts. you put the stud in the heim joint (make sure you get ones that have plenty thread for the collar), thread a nut on down on each stud to use as a jam nut to keep the collar from spinning, thread collar on heim joints and adjust to proper length.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
black89t;1800344 said:
no link. never seen a writeup on it. all you need is heim joint, studs, threaded collar, and nuts. you put the studs in the heim join (make sure you get ones that have plenty thread for the collar), thread a nut on down on each stud, thread collar on heim joints and adjust to proper length.
And end up with a rattly piece of crap on your car that offers no improvement over the stock links ;)

Ran stock 86.5 links on my car and it would sustain .95G on non R tires.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
So stock links... check ;) How about interior mods or electrical mods, any uber fantastic ideas out there? and I'm sure this has been asked, but are there any 15in rims that fit over the brakes? I ask cause snow tires are cheaper on 15's and toyo proxes suck in the snow, or even just the cold in general :runaway: it's a terrifying moment breaking loose on dry asphalt in 3rd gear. granted it was 3 degrees out

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
Auto window up mod
Fog Light mod *lets you turn on your fog lights independent from headlights*
Turn signal mod if you want to *basically your turn signal AND front side markers will blink*
Tint windows!
If your lip was dull and faded like mine was, their is no damage with taking it off and repainting it!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Snow tires: Get 205/55/16 snow tires on the stock wheels. You can get'em cheap and they'll work just fine. Mine drove like a tank.
Auto-up driver's window switch: Simply punch out the tab that keeps the switch from being pressed down all the way. Easiest to do if you remove the switch assy.
Marlin Crawler bushing set for w58. Mine is now 4 years + old and it still feels brand-spanking-new. Transmission feels worlds better. Very tight, no rattle and only costs like $20.
TRD shift knob: It's ~$70, but i think thats still cheap for how good it looks and feels. Really transforms the driving experience.
89+climate control update: Used one should be ~$40-80 and looks a ton better.
LED dash lights: Maybe $20-30 to start and all info is in my sig.

Finally, with all respect man, get a real cat. Gutted cats are for 15 yr olds. A very good, high flow cat is only $100, and generally sounds better than a gutted one anyways. The gutted cat might gain you 0.25 hp.

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Well only 18 so not far off ;) but I only gutted the cat because it was toast after 165,000mi and Idaho has no emission regulations. It will be remedied when I go 3in exhaust for the turbo kit or 1uz. (Didn't want to do it twice) Though it was bad enough that gutting it really improved the butt dyno and gas milage..... probably right back to where they should be. XD But excellent ideas, really like the auto up window and led mod.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
IJ.;1800346 said:
And end up with a rattly piece of crap on your car that offers no improvement over the stock links ;)

Ran stock 86.5 links on my car and it would sustain .95G on non R tires.

hahaha IJ i thought this is the tech section where you're suppose to go off facts not assumption. you say you ran stock links so how would you even know how adjustable endlinks perform on a mk3. :nono:

granted i only have them on the rear of my car and i put them on when i did the st sway bar set. i can say they don't "rattle" at all. and the car transitions from corner to corner much better. not to say its all from the endlinks but they are really nice to dail in how the rear responds for autox. there are two holes that adjust the rear st bar but its drastic. i didn't do the front because the rear alone really is all i need to get my car perfect for tracks or autox. again this is all first hand experience on my mk3. heres some pics. actually can't remember where i got those heim joints. i got them before i noticed ace sold them. and i actually didn't use a collar just a stud and heim joint so its even cheaper lol

p1800634_1.jpg

p1800634_2.jpg

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
i agree with the LED lights! doing this and from suprax7nut thread plenty of info and his work looks great.