Seafoam + 7MGE = Rod Knock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
are you telling me that they are willing to pay for your 200k engine blowing up? gotta go now, headed to guy some seafoam for ALL my cars.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
BusterMK3;1961633 said:
Yeah... So is there anything that the seafoam could've done? I mean they said they would give me money to buy me another motor (Stealership price too!!!) But could it even be their fault? Other question, even though it has a knock do you think the head is still good?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No one can just tell you the head is good. That's something you have to find out by testing things which would require a leak down test to see if a valve is leaking. Start testing things like doing a compression test/leak down test and all that fun stuff. Process of elimination.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
gsxr141;1961772 said:
are you telling me that they are willing to pay for your 200k engine blowing up? gotta go now, headed to guy some seafoam for ALL my cars.

Lol maybe they'll even be nice enough to buy us a 2j! I think I'm gonna get some seafoam also..

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
BusterMK3;1961819 said:
If I get enough then thats what im going to go for, they said they would see what a 0 miles 7mge cost... Hell if i get like $1k im just going to buy a 7mgte from tubbie since he's not even an hour away from me. Lol the ideas...

There's an 87 at a pull apart in Agusta that's been there since the beginning of the month, don't know if it's turbo though..

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
So Jim Davis, the rep I spoke with has seen this thread and as such regarded me as an idiot. Apperently I held my car to redline and then shifted and that I'm a moron.. I love it. Best part is, this motor had about 42k on it. The chassis has 192k. But i'll just let snakes be snakes and make their snake oil. And from now on I will never use this worthless product. I mean everything was good minus a slightly rough idle until i used this stuff, and then it went to hell.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Oh dear LORD. You put seafoam through the INTAKE, not in the OIL, drove the car around, then raced it around, and complained that your car got rod knock and start pointing fingers at everyone but yourself? Grow the hell up, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
BusterMK3;1961848 said:
So Jim Davis, the rep I spoke with has seen this thread and as such regarded me as an idiot. Apperently I held my car to redline and then shifted and that I'm a moron.. I love it. Best part is, this motor had about 42k on it. The chassis has 192k. But i'll just let snakes be snakes and make their snake oil. And from now on I will never use this worthless product. I mean everything was good minus a slightly rough idle until i used this stuff, and then it went to hell.

Yeah, too bad they researched you and found out that you are at fault for the failure of your piece of shit GE. Maybe if you would have kept your mouth shut you may have gotten a new short block out of it.

Fact of the matter is you treat a shitty motor like shit and got what you deserved for it. Racing a 7mge brilliant!!!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I love all the guys jumping over him for redlining the car.

If it was an automatic, it would redline getting on the highway. The car has a redline that's enforced through a rev limiter and it's well below the rev needed to pop the motor (or, you know, it would be lower).

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Poodles;1961853 said:
I love all the guys jumping over him for redlining the car.

If it was an automatic, it would redline getting on the highway. The car has a redline that's enforced through a rev limiter and it's well below the rev needed to pop the motor (or, you know, it would be lower).

That's why I really don't have a problem banging the rev limiter on my rebuilt 7mgte. He obviously had other problems with the engine if running it through the gears blew it up. Something tells me this was a long time coming.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Never used seafoam, but...

For redlining a 7M-GE... Why not? I used to pull my 7M-GE to redline on a regular basis. I did right up until the day it blew a coolant bypass hose, and I swapped int he 7M-GTE. Last heard, the guy who bought it from me found no problems in the bottom end, and it had over 450,000 kms on it. The engine didn't even need to be bored, just a hone and new rings. (And valve stem seals, since they were seriously crunchy.) Even the head gasket survived, since up to that point, the cooling system was well maintained.

The problem is that it would be difficult, if not impossible to get a mechanic to say for absolute certain that use of seafoam in a 20+ year old block was the cause of failure. It doesn't help if the block was rebuilt, because it's far more likely that improper work during the rebuilt is at fault than the one-time use of a product like that.

OMG. I always thought that this stuff never touched the oil, that it was intake and maybe fuel tank only. Saw the 1/3 through PCV/Vacuum, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank recommendation. I would never... but then I've always felt that the companies who produce motor oils hire some pretty good chemical engineers to determine what they put in there, and that it's not the same additive package in different product lines, let alone different brands. Therefore anything that "works with all motor oils" has to be making some broad assumptions about those additive packages, or had better be planning to drain immediately.

Edit: Oh, and guys... For what it's worth, a 7M-GTE running to redline (Which most of those who own one will do) is under a lot more stress than a 7M-GE at redline. Higher effective compression, more power, and it's going through exactly the same crankshaft and connecting rods. So... If you don't think that a 200k 7M-GE should be run to the red line... What do you think that a GTE should be run to?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Dan_Gyoba;1961866 said:
Never used seafoam, but...

For redlining a 7M-GE... Why not? I used to pull my 7M-GE to redline on a regular basis. I did right up until the day it blew a coolant bypass hose, and I swapped int he 7M-GTE. Last heard, the guy who bought it from me found no problems in the bottom end, and it had over 450,000 kms on it. The engine didn't even need to be bored, just a hone and new rings. (And valve stem seals, since they were seriously crunchy.) Even the head gasket survived, since up to that point, the cooling system was well maintained.

The problem is that it would be difficult, if not impossible to get a mechanic to say for absolute certain that use of seafoam in a 20+ year old block was the cause of failure. It doesn't help if the block was rebuilt, because it's far more likely that improper work during the rebuilt is at fault than the one-time use of a product like that.

OMG. I always thought that this stuff never touched the oil, that it was intake and maybe fuel tank only. Saw the 1/3 through PCV/Vacuum, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank recommendation. I would never... but then I've always felt that the companies who produce motor oils hire some pretty good chemical engineers to determine what they put in there, and that it's not the same additive package in different product lines, let alone different brands. Therefore anything that "works with all motor oils" has to be making some broad assumptions about those additive packages, or had better be planning to drain immediately.

Edit: Oh, and guys... For what it's worth, a 7M-GTE running to redline (Which most of those who own one will do) is under a lot more stress than a 7M-GE at redline. Higher effective compression, more power, and it's going through exactly the same crankshaft and connecting rods. So... If you don't think that a 200k 7M-GE should be run to the red line... What do you think that a GTE should be run to?

I don't think any engine with that many miles on it should be run to redline without a rebuild, even though the previous owner says it was rebuilt doesn't mean it was unless there is paper work but who knows how good of mechanic it was? Before you're going to run a car hard whether its a GE or a GTE, you need to check things and that doesn't mean change oil, seafoam, and then its red line ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.