Seafoam + 7MGE = Rod Knock ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
So on Thursday I seafoamed my 1987 7MGE Hardtop. 192,xxx / occasional rough idle. I go through everything properly and hold it at 1500 RPM until the proper amount is used. I shut it off after 2 extra minutes of holding the rpms, wait 5 minutes as directed, and go to start my car to let it idle a sec and then drive it around to thoroughly clean out the deposits and all that other great stuff seafoam does, but the freaking thing has NO idle. Starts, and if I didn't hold it it would die out on me. So I popped the hood and went over my vacuum lines/etc all that idle stuff and can't really find anything. I start it up an hour later and the idle is decent so I drive it around for about 40 miles and just cruise down the highway. Get home, park it, and let it be all day Friday. Saturday night comes along so I decide to take it to a car meet. Runs fine all night, nothing out of the ordinary. Meets over, so I check my oil ( because I've had this car about 3 weeks now since I picked it up as a daily to give the 91 some love) and everythings good. On the way back, the world's most fast & furious wanna be accord flies past, so I down shifted, and everything is still fine, shift to 4th 600 rpms before redline, still good, 5th 600 rpms before redline as well, and it feels ok at first and then i start feeling hesitation so I pull over, and it's knocking. My oil is very dark for only having 317 miles on it, but it is where it should be.Oil pressure gauge reads at a tad under 20psi at idle, and around 40psi when I was driving it around on the highway. I changed it the day I bought the car with 10W-30 and filter but can't remember brand atm. No metal shavings on the dipstick, when I get the chance I'm going to cut open the oil filter. So what could have caused this? I called seafoam and talked to Jim who told me if Seafoam had anything to do with it he'll help me out. Any suggestions? Any thing else I should check? Thanks

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Did you put seafoam in the crankcase? The stuff is snake oil, and solvent isnt something you want in your crankcase. Having said that I would be more inclined to believe that topping out your car at 130mph+ with a 200k mile engine has more to do with it than the seafoam. Figure out what the knocking is before anything else, it is not necessarily a rod knock, it could be anything. I would also be pleasantly surprised if seafoam does anything more than give you a free can of the stuff.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
I don't see why you're red lining a stock 7mge.

Especially that has 192,xxx miles on it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's having bad idle and running like that from a valve leaking or something.
You don't go out and race an accord on a 25 year old motor and go over 100 when it has 192,xxx miles. Who knows what you did.

Last edited:

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
BryanDyer;1961415 said:
It's probably from you revving the car to redline all the time at car meets lol

I reved it at 1 meet and 1 only lol . And ive never red lined it, held it out 600rpms before redline.. My idle problem was a vac line. But anyways theres paperwork that it was rebuilt 3 years ago..

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
When you mentioned it dying unless you held the gas down a bit my mind instantly went to the distributor cap and rotor. Of course, when those items stopped functioning from wear in my MR2 the stalling/idling problem was constant, so I cannot imagine this was the cause of your problems.

Still, might be worth checking out just to be sure. Not sure about the Supras, but these parts were only good for about a max of 85K on the MKI MR2s.

BusterMK3

0-BHG In 77K
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah... So is there anything that the seafoam could've done? I mean they said they would give me money to buy me another motor (Stealership price too!!!) But could it even be their fault? Other question, even though it has a knock do you think the head is still good?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
BusterMK3;1961369 said:
I seafoamed...192,xxx(miles)....still good, 5th 600 rpms before redline as well

406081608_0f949bd0c9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.