SBC/LS1 with R154, anyone done it?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
The TRD disk looks like a near perfect match. Unfortunately my plans for this project are on hold until i can locate a suitable motor. I sold the SBC i was going to try and i've set my sights firmly on an LS1 or LS6 but i don't have the 2500 to 6000 to buy one at the moment. All of the f body's at the salvage yards up here seem to be pre98 which means no ls motors :( i'll keep on the look out and let everyone know when i finally have the motor.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I take it you want the AL block because it is lighter? There is still the LQ and LM series if you wanted to look at an iron block.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chaingun;1778989 said:
...i've set my sights firmly on an LS1 or LS6...
Good man! Wouldn't mind this myself given the time and money, loved that motor. Too bad it got stuck in such crappy cars... :D

PROTOTYPE

Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Chaingun;1778989 said:
The TRD disk looks like a near perfect match. Unfortunately my plans for this project are on hold until i can locate a suitable motor. I sold the SBC i was going to try and i've set my sights firmly on an LS1 or LS6 but i don't have the 2500 to 6000 to buy one at the moment. All of the f body's at the salvage yards up here seem to be pre98 which means no ls motors :( i'll keep on the look out and let everyone know when i finally have the motor.

You do not have to go with a full LS1/2/3/6 engine. The truck engines such as LQ4/LQ9/LM7 are readily available and are way cheaper than the LS1's and so forth. Same style engine, heads, mounts, intake manifold, etc that all swap over. The LM7 comes in a 4.8/5.3L so make sure you get the bigger of the two since you are worried about displacement. LM7's come in the late (90's Silverado (98/99 IIRC) and LQ4's come in the bigger work trucks/vans (2500/3500's) and are 6.0L in displacement. LQ9's come in the more limited/newer 3500's Sierra's/Silverados but are primarily found in the Escalades. LS1tech has numerous threads about where they can be found and price range. An LQ/LM engine with performance heads, bolt ons, and cam would make for an easy 400 whp with an amazing torque curve. I was planning a LS based swap for my 1979 Chevrolet Malibu Coupe (That needed way too much work that I could give it at the time) and I ended up stumbling upon my MKIII for a great deal. I love my Bowties but there is something about an I6 on Boost and revving out that just is music to my ears (My future build.) Granted if I found a good 4th gen LS powered F-body I would be all over it. LOL! Hope this helps you out.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
^^ Good stuff.

I had considered a LS swap prior to doing my 4200. If was going to use a V8, I'd find an aluminum block 5.3. They're plentiful and cheap.

PROTOTYPE

Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
limequat;1779361 said:
^^ Good stuff.

I had considered a LS swap prior to doing my 4200. If was going to use a V8, I'd find an aluminum block 5.3. They're plentiful and cheap.

The first generation SSR's came with the all aluminum 5.3L if I remember correctly. Not too sure what vehicle has the 5.3L Alum engine besides that. Personally I prefer an cast iron block over all aluminum. I know I am going to be beating the ever living piss out of the engine.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
You can find the 5.3L Alum in the 1500 series trucks (2005-2007 1500 4WD). Engine code is: L33.

Only 25% of them came with this engine, but it'd be a great find!

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
WeDgE;1779498 said:
You can find the 5.3L Alum in the 1500 series trucks (2005-2007 1500 4WD). Engine code is: L33.

Only 25% of them came with this engine, but it'd be a great find!

Yes, but it's 25% of -about- a million a year, so there's a ton of them out there. Also every trailblazer, 9-7x, envoy, bravada, etc is aluminum block.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
limequat;1779589 said:
Yes, but it's 25% of -about- a million a year, so there's a ton of them out there. Also every trailblazer, 9-7x, envoy, bravada, etc is aluminum block.
Where I live, even Stevie Wonder would spot an aluminum genIII/IV v8 sooner than later...

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Well i have stumbled upon what may be the greatest deal of all time... There is a place near buffalo that specializes in wrecked F body's from 98-02.... Once i have the funds i'm looking at a sub 60k ls1 with ecu and auto-tragic tranny, and painless harness for 3500, Yes i am indeed looking for the LS series for the weight reduction and pure low end power. I may evenuatally supercharge the motor but i think that even a stock LS1 bolted up to a well built R154 will be alot to get used to. Since my new DD just past inspection i'm taking the supra off the road now and finished the body work i started last spring and if there is someone interested i will pull the 7mgte and sell it to get started on the LS1. few questions for those that may have an idea.... What about my ABS? will i need to keep the 7m ecu in place to run the ABS or are there alternatives. Also should i be looking at a single piece drive shaft or will i be able to use the 2 piece if i do eventually supercharge the motor.

Surprised at the response to this thread after so long, as i'd said due to funds this is probably on the back burner until tax time or later :( however this WILL be a reality. I sincerely appreciate all of the information and advice i've recieved so far and that help is what has gotten me this far in planning. anyone else here in Western NY? wouldn't mind taking the supra to a few cruises after it's running.

keep an eye out here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?140242-Rust-issues-And-repairs-)/page9 i'll be stripping the interior soon and working on some more rust repair ugh. also adding electric poppers for the hatch and gas tank. Anyone know if there are struts strong enough to lift the hatch by themselves once it's popped? seen this on 3rd gen camaro's and loved it wanna do the hood and hatch like that.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chaingun;1781352 said:
Well i have stumbled upon what may be the greatest deal of all time... There is a place near buffalo that specializes in wrecked F body's from 98-02.... Once i have the funds i'm looking at a sub 60k ls1 with ecu and auto-tragic tranny, and painless harness for 3500, Yes i am indeed looking for the LS series for the weight reduction and pure low end power. I may evenuatally supercharge the motor but i think that even a stock LS1 bolted up to a well built R154 will be alot to get used to.

Nice find there sir, that's not a bad price at all. I believe the LT1 has more (well, sooner) torque than the LS1, as the LS didn't hit it's peak until something like 4400 in the SS I had. That said, I'd take less weight to carry around over a little bit of a lower end power surge any day. As for the power, you'll get used to it quick. I went from a 100whp Miata to a ~300whp Camaro, and within about 2 months, I was pretty much bored with it, and learning how to drift at most every chance I got. Add a cam, heads (if you aren't lucky enough to find one of the factory optioned LS6 head equipped LS1's), exhaust, you're looking at a healthy 400hp engine. Boost it, and you're in for a good time, not to mention some good sounds. Who the hell needs music when you have a choir of valkyries flying out your pipes? ;)

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Amen! i've taken a look at power adding options and i have a line on a set of ls6 heads and the larger throttle body as well. with a cam, springs, rockers, ls6 heads (i have a machine shop that owes me a favor, can you say port and polish :) ) and exhaust along with the new tb i should get upwards of 400 rwhp or better but alas upgrades to the motor will have to wait until the motor is first installed and running a project that may take up to a year to complete with the way things are going i currently have to finish the passenger side wheel well and install the replacement sunroof this winter damn aftermarket thing was installed 20 years ago and leaks like a stuck pig

Here's the process i have for getting my car into the shape I want.
1. Body work including all fiberglass and bondo work if needed (passenger wheel well, sunroof replacement, 2 floor braces, and some floor in the hatch area which should all be done by spring.)
2. remove 7mgte and pull r154 for rebuild along with replacing carrier bearing and u joints on the drive shaft.
3. clean and paint the engine bay (was thinking textured rubber paint like underbody coating did this on a few trucks that turned out well)
4. install rebuilt transmission(with adaptor and the new master cylinder for clutch) and SBC 350 and fuel pressure regulator to use in fabbing motor mounts and braces (also for funsies)
5. wire in cruise control module from 91 caprice (works very well for any chevy motor swap) along with VSS adaptor for r154
6 install exhaust including cats and bungs for 02 sensors (this way i only have to adapt the collectors to the LS manifolds)
at this point i should have a fairly stout carb'd supra to play with until i have the LS1
7. figure out how to get the ABS working (anyone know about the supra ABS control? what will i need to make the stock abs work?)
8. after the ls1 is purchased remove 350 and install ecu, and wiring harness for ls1 before instaling the motor to allow for wire routing and hiding(i want a clean engine bay dammit)
9 install LS1 and new fuel pump (walbro should suffice for a stock motor eh?)
10. Profit! not really i don't think i'll ever sell this car lol

Last edited:

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
long time no hear folks, sry about that. With it being winter and a few things happening at home i have had very little time to work on the car, honestly all i have done is get the sunroof ready to be put in but that's for another thread. What i have done is spend alot of time planning and budgeting this build. I have decided that i'm going to go with a 94-97 LT1 as my v8 of choice. It's not as efficient as the LS1 but at around half to a 3rd the cost for a running motor and ECU i can live with it. Right now the plan is to get it in and running with lots of pics of course :). To facilitate this I am planning to yank the 7MGTE soon. Can someone give me an idea of what my motor may be worth, and if possible point anyone looking for one my direction? I do plan on putting it in the for sale section once i get it pulled but if i find a buyer first it may motivate me to get it done faster.

Edit: the 7MGTE has had the head gasket replaced by me around 1200 miles ago with a retorque every 300 miles or so after the initial retorque. It's in good running shape now with right at 140k on it and will come with the manifold and turbo as well.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I just about have all the parts and pieces required to make this work. I am still hammering out the clutch disc but have the flywheel and PP. Also having an anti spin stud made for the hydraulic throw out bearing which should be done this week also. Once I have the flywheel in my hands and am sure it will work with my pressure plate then I am sending the pp off to be reworked for the clutch disc. Now I just need an engine.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
excellent, what clutch disk/pressure plate did you go with for your setup? any ideas on choice of motor as well? My decision to do the late model LT1 was mostly due to the fact that i can realize my power goals on it easily and for a much smaller budget than an LS motor, however an LS6 would still be the best thing i could toss in there stock i think. depending on what motor you get you'll need to pick up the appropriate speed sensor for the motor, they have a large variety here http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html which connect before the speedo cable to provide the ECU with the correct signal for proper operation and efficiency.